Re: Confirm Solidoodle Model??

A micron is 0.001 mm. Most fdm printers have a min height of 50 to 100 microns this is minimum z height per layer.
I think you have covered most of the basics .
a layer fan can dramatically improve pla prints.
And there are some advantages to a good main board.

Here are some basic upgrades adressed

https://www.printedsolid.com/blogs/news … 3d-printer

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1-yps1miopM

Any machines this good? This doesn't appear to have nearly the overhang issues my SD2 does.

Kronikabuse wrote:

auto calibrate. the wiki you need is here http://www.soliwiki.com/

I'm sorry, couldn't find auto calibrate here. Just manual adjustment.

Rocketman wrote:

Any machines this good? This doesn't appear to have nearly the overhang issues my SD2 does.

Most machine on the market can do that and better. That is just a base model Prusa i3 there is nothing really special about it. If you are having overhang issues then you lack a layer fan or it is setup wrong and your machine needs more tuning.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

Rocketman wrote:
Kronikabuse wrote:

auto calibrate. the wiki you need is here http://www.soliwiki.com/

I'm sorry, couldn't find auto calibrate here. Just manual adjustment.

AKA known as auto leveling.

Was SD one of the only fully assembled machines? With the price tags on some of these machines it would be very disappointing if they arrived as a bunch of parts. Lol.

carl_m1968 wrote:
Rocketman wrote:

Most machine on the market can do that and better. That is just a base model Prusa i3 there is nothing really special about it. If you are having overhang issues then you lack a layer fan or it is setup wrong and your machine needs more tuning.

Is a layer fan a fan that cools the filament right after it comes out of the nozzle and is attached near the peak? If so than I don't have that. SD4 was first to have that?

Rocketman wrote:
carl_m1968 wrote:
Rocketman wrote:

Is a layer fan a fan that cools the filament right after it comes out of the nozzle and is attached near the peak? If so than I don't have that. SD4 was first to have that?

No SD4 didnt come with one. We all had to print a bracket and add our own

Sd4 #9080 with a glass bed. E3d chimera duel extruder. Paste extruder , duet wifi.
Lawsy carriages. linear bearings. Y axis direct drive, Kinect scanner
SD4#8188 glass bed, lawsly carriages, E3d v6, octoprint http://www.ustream.tv/channel/hotrod96z28
Filastruder/filawinder, Custom Delta 300mm x 600mm

the greater majority of the things you are asking about come down to proper calibration and setup.
Meaning YOU need to take the time to learn how to calibrate and set up your machine properly.

Pretty much NO machine is going to print perfectly right out of the box. None.

Putting in a little effort to learn how to calibrate and properly set things up will go MUCH further than chasing after a different machine.

Overhangs, and other print issues come down to calibration & proper setup. Not the machine, Not the materials used, Calibration & proper setup.

This is something I just recently printed... no problems with overhangs here, either, but again.. I spent a lot of time learning about setting up and calibrating.

http://soliforum.com/i/?dPyYQ7F.jpg

Did it always print this well? No, it did not.

here is a little progression pic for you.. going from left to right - uncalibrated, to "mostly" calibrated... I did do more work after this..

http://soliforum.com/i/?bNJomwI.jpg

Your SD could do much better if you would just take the time to learn what to do, and how to do it.
Buying another machine is not going to magically "fix" everything for you. You will STILL need to learn how to calibrate things to get the most out of the machine. I can pretty much guarantee you that the Prusa in the video you shared has been properly calibrated and set up, as well.

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

35 (edited by n2ri 2018-10-03 18:06:22)

Rocketman wrote:

What other variables are there besides layer height and nozzle diameter?

Heated print bed
Enclosure
Print space
Possible print speed?
Compatibility with print heads.
Multiple colors
Water soluble support materials in conjunction with ABS/PLA.

What else is there other than the overall quality of parts?

Also when talking about microns that is 1/1000mm? So the max. resolution of a FDM machine is 1/10,000 of a mm? Is this layer height or XY detail?

finest detail on this type 3D printer is Z layer height next finest is limited to nozzle dia just like SLA is limited to laser pin-point size. layer height also adds greatly to print time as each thin layer takes same time as thickest layer on less fine prints. also thinner means easier to break/mess up print and any fowl during print on all but the most expensive models means start over and toss material wasted in failed print. so costs/time go up each failed print. its also why we dont print multiple items as it still takes more time and can waste more material. just saves pre/post print warmup/cooldown bed prep which is only a few mins. so if item to be printed takes more than an hour each then only do 1 item per print.

say you have an item that G code says takes 1hr at .3mm Z then for higher/finer detail you change Z to .1mm now its at least 3hrs, SLA type printer for same item  Z set at .001mm even if a bit faster than FDM printer still gonna take like a week likely when you do the math. also powder/liquid materials for SLA types cost lots more so its gonna kill resale profits if any. plus SLA uses different file type and must be converted to it b4 slicing/printing. Pirvan can chime in on this as He has done lots of both kinds.

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

n2ri wrote:
Rocketman wrote:

Heated print bed
Enclosure
Print space
Possible print speed?
Multiple colors

Also when talking about microns that is 1/1000mm? So the max. resolution of a FDM machine is 1/10,000 of a mm? Is this layer height or XY detail?

finest detail on this type 3D printer is Z layer height next finest is limited to nozzle dia just like SLA is limited to laser pin-point size. layer height also adds greatly to print time as each thin layer takes same time as thickest layer on less fine prints. also thinner means easier to break/mess up print and any fowl during print on all but the most expensive models means start over and toss material wasted in failed print. so costs/time go up each failed print. its also why we dont print multiple items as it still takes more time and can waste more material. just saves pre/post print warmup/cooldown bed prep which is only a few mins. so if item to be printed takes more than an hour each then only do 1 item per print.

say you have an item that G code says takes 1hr at .3mm Z then for higher/finer detail you change Z to .1mm now its at least 3hrs, SLA type printer for same item  Z set at .001mm even if a bit faster than FDM printer still gonna take like a week likely when you do the math. also powder/liquid materials for SLA types cost lots more so its gonna kill resale profits if any. plus SLA uses different file type and must be converted to it b4 slicing/printing. Pirvan can chime in on this as He has done lots of both kinds.

SLA printers use the same gcode file any other printer uses. It's just a file that gives instructions on how to move the mechanics. They also use the same STL file. A layer is a layer when it is sliced. The only difference is how that layer is formed in the print process.

If the SLA is a DUV type that uses an LCD mask then it could print 20 calibration cubes in the same time it takes to print 1. If it is the laser scanning time then it follows the same laws as the FDM printer and each item added adds time. The time on an SLA will still double or triple as the resolution is made finer as well. However the exposure time for thinner layers is less so it actually balances out somewhat.

37 (edited by n2ri 2018-10-03 18:48:26)

carl_m1968 wrote:
n2ri wrote:
Rocketman wrote:

Heated print bed
Enclosure
Print space
Possible print speed?
Multiple colors

SLA printers use the same gcode file any other printer uses. It's just a file that gives instructions on how to move the mechanics. They also use the same STL file. A layer is a layer when it is sliced. The only difference is how that layer is formed in the print process.

If the SLA is a DUV type that uses an LCD mask then it could print 20 calibration cubes in the same time it takes to print 1. If it is the laser scanning time then it follows the same laws as the FDM printer and each item added adds time. The time on an SLA will still double or triple as the resolution is made finer as well. However the exposure time for thinner layers is less so it actually balances out somewhat.

the ones I looked at use SVG like a negative of each layer for laser to project as they dont make lines all over each layer like ejection type printers do thats the faster step how ever they do still have to do many more layers when fine settings are used to make same height item in 10-1000 times more layers which is the longer steps and each layer most SLA type move up/down Z more to allow resin under model each layer unless one of the couple higher priced models which do it differently.

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

n2ri wrote:
carl_m1968 wrote:
n2ri wrote:

the ones I looked at use SVG like a negative of each layer for laser to project

They can use either. I use stl just so I can use the model on my FDM as well when I need strength over appearance. SVG is used more in the water jet, laser, and plasma cutting industry. The layers are created by the slicing software and in the case of a laser based SLA there is no negative or mask.

They work the same way as an FDM but instead of a nozzle that deposits molten plastic you have a laser spot that hardens resin at it travels along a path the width of that dot. Only the DUV and DLP printers use a mask and even then that  still starts as an STL and is converted to a gcode file by the slicer.

DLP is pretty much same thing as SLA liquid resin type, just DLP use LED UV laser type light for curing resin. and most the lower cost/smaller DLP type only accept SVG which is converted from STL G-code to SVG in Slic3r and was the main draw back for me as I would have to convert all my files and create yet another folder full of dupe files just for that printer also some of those printers have random results in quality/finish. so even if 1/10th the cost of a Form1 it still wont match end result reliability and some of those printers closed down soon as they hit the market so no support. the Ibox nano was 1. and very small but enough for most my needs is why I considered it.

SLA term is used on both liquid and powder material 3D printers as are a few other terms mostly preparatory like the Blue printer in Europe. due to type of light/heat device used to weld material together and what material is made of as some require more heat. also some are for more industrial lab use not home/hobby users. most of us here are the home/hobby type and deal in 3D printers under $3500 often no more than $500 lately as the market has become much more competitive driving costs down to keep sales up. this is both good & bad for us as we advance in the tech.

41 (edited by carl_m1968 2018-10-03 21:23:06)

n2ri wrote:

SLA term is used on both liquid and powder material 3D printers as are a few other terms mostly preparatory like the Blue printer in Europe. due to type of light/heat device used to weld material together and what material is made of as some require more heat. also some are for more industrial lab use not home/hobby users. most of us here are the home/hobby type and deal in 3D printers under $3500 often no more than $500 lately as the market has become much more competitive driving costs down to keep sales up. this is both good & bad for us as we advance in the tech.

Not sure if you have noticed my signature, or where you get your information from?

But I own and use a D7 which is a DUV SLA printer. That means it uses a UV LED array for the curing light source and an LCD to create the photomask. This is a sub $500 printer and I can assure you that it uses the ordinary STL file exported from Tinkercad or any other CAD program. The slicer then converts it to a gcode file that contains the information the printer controller uses for creating and building the layers.

I have also owned a $1500 Formlabs Form1 SLA which uses the UV laser just like a print head on an FDM and it to used your standard STL file and converted it to gcode using the slicer that machine comes with.

Both of these can also use an SVG but it is not needed and there  is no reason to have to convert or have duplicate files. All you need is the STL just like the ones you can download from Thingiverse or as I said export from any CAD program.

Since this thread is really not about SLA printers we should stop discussing them here and derailing the thread. Besides it seems you have received old or incorrect information as all of the home consumer level SLA printers that I have seen even up to some of the higher Statasys units use STL files. SVG is reserved more for subtractive manufacturing while STL is more for additive manufacturing.

Hey Carl,

While the workflow is essentially the same as for FDM and the slicing software takes stl files as input, the slicers for printers like our D7s most definitely output an SVG file for the mask for each layer. This is displayed on the lcd during printing via HDMI. The layer mask is an SVG, not part of the gcode.

If using nanodlp, it really doesn't matter. If using desktop software, it all comes out in a nice zip file so it's really quite painless.

Like Carl, I apologise for continuing the derailment of this thread.

anyway... I only brought up the other type printers due to OP wanting to find best quality output at lowest cost etc. its just something I dont think is possible as of yet so we have to find a compromise we can live/work with based on needs vs ability & budget. when I jumped into this tech 6 years ago I gave myself 1-2 years learning curve based on my past ability to grasp new tech and research my way through while doing trial & error and sell a few jobs once I was able to get good enough results knowing my investment would be lost in the process but recover it once things took off. the economy was less than helpful in this and market interest has dropped a lot and seems to now be coming back a bit. most of this tech is reliant on hobby oriented markets which suffer when excess funds dry up. main point is if you want to get into this tech you have to be committed and tech savvy enough to self teach & learn how to rebuild & tweak the tools that are this industry. dont expect forum members to hand you a manual that answers every imaginable question with index like an 911 operators SOP book, as none exist. dig in and find a printer that fills most your needs (once you know your needs) buy some filament and start making stuff. when you hit a snag search for solutions here as most have already been posted. this forum has lots of very experienced 3D printing people that have made videos etc for nearly every aspect. and I for one have great respect and appreciation for their help and patience over the years.

the printer I bought 6 years ago was an SD2 with deluxe option including heated bed, full enclosure and door, roll of filament (was over priced poor quality stuff they sold) buy from local micro center if possible like $15 ish per roll ABS/PLA (once you choose between ABS or PLA I dont recommend switching to other with an SD2 original hot end as it likely wont end well due to difference in operating temps etc.) sounds like you still need to download the correct test calibration cube from Thiniverse and tweak all the proper settings in Repetier host and Slic3r (ignore scienforge as its not properly setup for solidoodle printers and likely never will.) proper calibration is the only way to  successful 3D printing results. My printer was near $800 then and now can buy much more capable machines for half that but I still have had great prints once tweaked/modified addons like glass bed etc. until you can do that then jumping to a new printer wont fix it. I still like my SD2 for its ease of upgrading and durability and parts upgrades with files on Thingiverse.

Those barrel shaped objects look good, but they don't have nearly the overhangs I want to do. Including going downward at 45 degrees like a statues arm or the letter M or something. I assume I would need a machine with multiple extruders and the use of a water soluble support material for finer models that might snap apart with same material support. Also I would like to try tri-color sometime.

46 (edited by carl_m1968 2018-10-05 01:20:09)

What exactly do you plan to print? That is the main and deciding question to your needs. If you need strength and function than a basic dual extruder machine is all you need. Even a single extruder is fine. You can print supports with the same material and it is cheaper and if done right through proper settings easy to remove with minimal evidence they where ever there. Water soluble filament is nearly twice the cost of PLA or ABS for half the quantity.

Now if you intend to print more artsy stuff like figures and such than an SLA machine may be more appropriate. However they have limited print volume unless you want to shell out $25K or more.

In either case as has already been said you can't buy a solution to your problem. You seem to want to avoid the work of owning a 3D printer and just have it print. That is not going to happen any time soon. There is nothing you can buy on the market at any cost.

Your problem comes down to simple tuning and if you are willing to work for the reward of exceptional prints. Tune and tweak your existing machine as you should be. You will only get out of a printer what you are willing to put in and this is true even for the $25K SLA laser scintered powder machines. A new machine is only going to give you new problems, not solutions. You are the solution and only solution.

Rocketman wrote:

Those barrel shaped objects look good, but they don't have nearly the overhangs I want to do. Including going downward at 45 degrees like a statues arm or the letter M or something. I assume I would need a machine with multiple extruders and the use of a water soluble support material for finer models that might snap apart with same material support. Also I would like to try tri-color sometime.

you assume wrong. you do NOT "need" multiple extruders and water soluble material to create supports.
"wanting" those items is a different matter entirely.

go back to the first picture I posted.. the one of the eagle & horned skull.. that was done entirely with one extruder and one material, there were no issues with removing the supports because the machine, the material, and the slicer were set up correctly to do the job it was asked to do.
Each and every one of those downward pointing feathers in the eagle's wings required support in order for it to print correctly.

Again - YOU have to be willing to learn how to adjust, calibrate and learn about the settings in the slicer you choose to use.

If you think a single extruder printer is difficult, a dual head will be even more of a frustration for you, because that adds in a whole new set of issues.

Sorry if you are not hearing what you want to hear about all this, but it is honest, and it is factual.
There is NO miracle printer that will do everything you want to do straight out of the box.
EVERY printer is going to have its weak points that will require some effort on your part.
This is fact. This is the way it is. If you are expecting otherwise you are in for a very rude awakening.

If YOU are not willing to put in the time & effort to learn how to overcome the weak points, then this is probably not the hobby for you.

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

Perhaps shapeways.com or something similar. Upload your design and choose a print material.

49 (edited by n2ri 2018-10-06 04:39:27)

download this test box https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4636 and slice it then use it for calibration tests in your SD2 settings. search this group for instructions on calibration of extruder like http://www.soliforum.com/post/133633/#p133633 . then post pics and results including measurements using a Digital Micrometer (which you must own for 3D printing). b4 proceeding further. btw where do you live? what state if USA?

n2ri wrote:

download this test box https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4636 and slice it then use it for calibration tests in your SD2 settings. search this group for instructions on calibration of extruder like http://www.soliforum.com/post/133633/#p133633 . then post pics and results including measurements using a Digital Micrometer (which you must own for 3D printing). b4 proceeding further. btw where do you live? what state if USA?

New York State. I don't know what a micrometer is, but I have a digital caliber.