Topic: Tolerances for 1mm hole

Hi all,

I have a delta printer with pretty decent calibration. I print with 1.75 ABS. Looking to see if anyone out there has experience printing an object with lots of tiny little holes. I'm looking to print cylindrical holes, 1mm in diameter by about 1.5mm deep. They would be part of a larger print and located in a section that is 100% infill. Ideally, they would be about 2mm apart from each other on all X/Y axis. To elaborate on intent: I want to sink these tiny 1mm diameter x 1mm long magnets into a solid slab of printing.

So the question is more on the design end. If you were going to make something like this, would you make the holes 1.5mm in diameter in the STL to account for expansion and any potential over extrusion? I have faith in my printer, but tolerances in most filament are not great for this type of high precision work, which means sooner or later int he print I'll get some over extrusion.

I'm typically a trial and error type of guy, but I have a feeling these prints are going to take forever. Looking for a second opinion on this one before I start.

Re: Tolerances for 1mm hole

I print a lot of small things with a 0.4mm nozzle and always add around 0.8mm to hole sizes to start.  Create a small part to test first. wink

a lot does depend on how well calibrated things are, including filament.. type of filament also makes a difference. some have higher shrink rates than others.  i typically give about 0.5mm extra - at minimum.

I am with tonyno - make a small, quick & easy test print, with say 4 holes, and each hole a slightly different tolerance for testing purposes, see what works best for you, your printer, and the filament being used

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

4 (edited by mark.giblin 2018-09-23 21:14:01)

Whats the hole for?

I think that the use of the hole will really dictate what you need to consider.

I was going to suggest you have a simple solid fill behind the hole through to the shell on the opposing surface and leave a dimple like X marks the spot and drill it with a 1mm bit to the required depth.

Assuming that the position and location is accessible.

Bob's your uncle (and likely your father too...)
I laughed that hard, I burst my colostomy bag.... (When I got my GeeeTech Pi3 ProB)
Prusa i3 MK2 clone by GeeeTech aka Pi3 ProB with a GT2560 board on MX17 Linux.

I think it depends on the printer, but I typically add 0.4mm (the size of my nozzle) to any interior holes, and only occasionally do I need to ream them to size with a drill bit, by placing the hole you get a solid wall around it, no matter what % fill you use.