Topic: Another Rumba problem

The board will power on with the USB power setting enabled, but with the supernight and switched to stand alone, it wont power on. I have disconnected everything looking for a short, but no joy. Is there a jumper setting I am missing?

3D Systems Cube, Hacked for Bulk Filament
Monoprice Replicator built from kit
Solidoodle 3, E3D Lite6, Rumba Upgrade
FT-i3 Mega, Looking for Dual Extruder Mods

Re: Another Rumba problem

whttnbrg wrote:

The board will power on with the USB power setting enabled, but with the supernight and switched to stand alone, it wont power on. I have disconnected everything looking for a short, but no joy. Is there a jumper setting I am missing?

Could you show a picture of your wiring?

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

+1
Get us some pictures of every wire.  The more we can see, the better chance one of us will catch something.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

right now, there is nothing connected to the board. I have it down to just the 2 wires from the power supply to the power in poles on the board.

whttnbrg wrote:

right now, there is nothing connected to the board. I have it down to just the 2 wires from the power supply to the power in poles on the board.

pictures still speak volumes

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

6 (edited by yizhou.he 2018-08-19 19:51:10)

Never used Rumba board, but it doesn't hurt to check if your jumper is set to USB power or stand alone.

https://reprap.org/wiki/File:Rumba-USB-fix.jpg

Also in the above picture, at bottom right, there is two flat yellow stuff on board labled 5A and 11A (they are fuse). There is also a black tube below the right 11A one, that is a diode, if you ever wired your power supply wrong, this diode will burn. and then you can only power your board from USB. Check the diode with multi-meter for resistance with board power off, it should have high resistance in one direction and almost no resistance on the other direction.

(Da Vinci 1.0, Jr. 1.0 RAMPS, miniMaker) X4, (Creality CR-10S, CR-10 mini, Ender-3) X4, Anycubic MEGA X4, Anycubic Chrion X1, ADMILAB Gantry X2 (MonoPrice Maker Select V2, Plus, Ultimate)X4--Select mini X1, Anycubic photon X4, Wanhao duplicate D7 X1.
iNSTONE Inventor Pro X2, CTC Dual X2, ANET-A8, Hictop 3DP-11, Solidoodle Press, FLSUN I3 2017X1

7 (edited by heartless 2018-08-19 19:56:42)

there should only be one jumper in place in the upper right section, and in this picture, in the small green box it is in the "stand alone" configuration.
also note where the positive & negative leads are for the main power input.

http://soliforum.com/i/?i4sqNHk.jpg

@yizhou.he - if you dont know anything about a specific subject, please keep your opinions to yourself. You are not helping anything by posting like you do. all you are doing is muddying the waters.

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

8 (edited by carl_m1968 2018-08-19 19:59:47)

whttnbrg wrote:

You really need to post an image but if you only have two wires as in one positive and one negative to the board then that is your problem. The Rumba requires two power inputs. One is for the logic and endstops while the other is for the motors. You have to split the output of the power supply into two positive and two negative connections and connect them to the two power ports on the board. The third power port is the output to a heated bed.

http://soliforum.com/i/?a8VOJQX.jpg

^Yep

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

This is my second Rumba, and I initially set it up exactly like the other one that is working. I now know what my problem is.
Neither of the fuses have continuity. Both are clown. Now that I know this, I am consulting with RepRap about a exchange

whttnbrg wrote:

This is my second Rumba, and I initially set it up exactly like the other one that is working. I now know what my problem is.
Neither of the fuses have continuity. Both are clown. Now that I know this, I am consulting with RepRap about a exchange

So you blew the fuses and you want the entire board replaced?
I was always under the impression you replace the fuses, not the entire board. But hey if they replace the entire board for blown fuses then my hat off to them. Good luck.

I ordered several RAMPS board from aliexpress and amazon, and get two of them not working for me, one is overheat and the other came with bowled fuse, I contacted the seller and get replacement very quick, however, the overheat one replacement have bowled diode, and I got replacement again. The amazon one did not even ask me to send back the faulty board, just ask me send video to prove the board is not functional with correct wiring.

the material cost of these boards in China are unbelievable low, the cost of sales and shipping and customer service is 80%-90% of the final price, and among the material cost, the main chips cost 70% of them if imported from Japan, Koean, or Taiwan.

(Da Vinci 1.0, Jr. 1.0 RAMPS, miniMaker) X4, (Creality CR-10S, CR-10 mini, Ender-3) X4, Anycubic MEGA X4, Anycubic Chrion X1, ADMILAB Gantry X2 (MonoPrice Maker Select V2, Plus, Ultimate)X4--Select mini X1, Anycubic photon X4, Wanhao duplicate D7 X1.
iNSTONE Inventor Pro X2, CTC Dual X2, ANET-A8, Hictop 3DP-11, Solidoodle Press, FLSUN I3 2017X1

yizhou.he wrote:

I ordered several RAMPS board from aliexpress and amazon, and get two of them not working for me, one is overheat and the other came with bowled fuse, I contacted the seller and get replacement very quick, however, the overheat one replacement have bowled diode, and I got replacement again. The amazon one did not even ask me to send back the faulty board, just ask me send video to prove the board is not functional with correct wiring.

the material cost of these boards in China are unbelievable low, the cost of sales and shipping and customer service is 80%-90% of the final price, and among the material cost, the main chips cost 70% of them if imported from Japan, Koean, or Taiwan.

A Rumba board should not be Chinese or cheap. They are made and sold by Reprap. The Reprap version should be the true Rumba and not a clone. So being that manufacturing cost is much higher they may not be so inclined just to replace a board that could have been damaged by the customer.

You may not be used to dealing with US vendors but working for one for years as an RMA tech it was my job to evaluate returns and to disprove warranty claims. Yes that is the US mentality that all returns are the customers fault and not under warranty unless unable to prove otherwise.

14 (edited by yizhou.he 2018-08-23 14:45:35)

carl_m1968 wrote:

A Rumba board should not be Chinese or cheap. They are made and sold by Reprap. The Reprap version should be the true Rumba and not a clone. So being that manufacturing cost is much higher they may not be so inclined just to replace a board that could have been damaged by the customer.

You may not be used to dealing with US vendors but working for one for years as an RMA tech it was my job to evaluate returns and to disprove warranty claims. Yes that is the US mentality that all returns are the customers fault and not under warranty unless unable to prove otherwise.

Sorry to tell you this, but Reprap is not a company, it is an organization. The company that sells so called authentic Reprap parts called Reprapdiscount, it is based in Kwun Tong, Hongkong.

Rumba board also available from multiple company in multiple store in aliexpress, price range from $30-$40, the material and production cost is less than $10.

Production of these board came with high pollution, if you think any U.S. company will manufacture electronic board in United States, U.S. health and environment safety department will disagree.

yizhou.he wrote:
carl_m1968 wrote:

Sorry to tell you this, but Reprap is not a company, it is an organization. The company that sells so called authentic Reprap parts called Reprapdiscount, it is based in Kwun Tong, Hongkong.

Rumba board also available from multiple company in multiple store in aliexpress, price range from $30-$40, the material and production cost is less than $10.

Production of these board came with high pollution, if you think any U.S. company will manufacture electronic board in United States? U.S. health and environment safety department will disagree.

There are many companies in the US that make circuit boards. Two I can name because I have worked for them is Vario Systems in Southlake TX. and TTI in Painsville Ohio. There is also Sanden, and several others I can think of. Many companies want quality over quantity and are willing to pay top dollar for circuit boards made in the US. Especially for DoD and contract jobs.

But this is not the topic of this thread so I will admit my lack of knowledge of the Rumba origin. I always thought since there was a Reprap store is was owned and operated by the Reprap organization.

My point was is a blown fuse is usually an indication of operator or installation error and in my line of work of rectifier repair is not a warranty issue and is repaired at customer cost. I am surprised companies are willing to eat a board when the customer in most cases could replace the fuse and all would be good.

Plus it would cut down on the customers down time to deal with the issue themselves as well. Now if the fuses blew the second time then I could understand the need to return the board and to have it replaced. But fuses blowing once to me is not a reason to exchange an entire board and be down the entire time the replacement is in transit.

16 (edited by yizhou.he 2018-08-23 15:27:00)

carl_m1968 wrote:

There are many companies in the US that make circuit boards. Two I can name because I have worked for them is Vario Systems in Southlake TX. and TTI in Painsville Ohio. There is also Sanden, and several others I can think of. Many companies want quality over quantity and are willing to pay top dollar for circuit boards made in the US. Especially for DoD and contract jobs.

But this is not the topic of this thread so I will admit my lack of knowledge of the Rumba origin. I always thought since there was a Reprap store is was owned and operated by the Reprap organization.

My point was is a blown fuse is usually an indication of operator or installation error and in my line of work of rectifier repair is not a warranty issue and is repaired at customer cost. I am surprised companies are willing to eat a board when the customer in most cases could replace the fuse and all would be good.

Plus it would cut down on the customers down time to deal with the issue themselves as well. Now if the fuses blew the second time then I could understand the need to return the board and to have it replaced. But fuses blowing once to me is not a reason to exchange an entire board and be down the entire time the replacement is in transit.

I agree fuse blew is customer's fault in principle. But in reality, Chinese company pay much more to hire someone that speak English to deal with U.S. customer than send out another board. If the customer service spend time to figure out what is wrong with the board, and convince the customer it is customer's fault, and direct customer how to order and replace the fuse, they pay much more than $10, which is already more than how much it cost them to manufacture the board. That is why Chinese company either have terrible customer service, or send you replacement with no question asked.

Manufactured in China don't necessary means low quality. The design and quality control is the key. All Apple Computer and iPhone are manufactured in China, because the labor cost in China is so low and the wide use of robot, they can afford to use much better material and labor intense quality control.

17 (edited by Tin Falcon 2018-08-23 23:21:53)

A Rumba board should not be Chinese or cheap. They are made and sold by Reprap.

The company that sells so called authentic Reprap parts called Reprapdiscount, it is based in Kwun Tong, Hongkong.

Carl i think you may have the Rumba and rambo mixed up.

Rumbba is indeed an import board. the Rambo is made by ultramachine in South Pittsburg, TN  USA

This company makes a couple version of the rambo board with replaceable fuses, high quality ramps boards as well as a couple other offerings. There boards are used in the genuine Prussa printers as well as lulsbots an I expect a few other high end printers.

These boards are not cheap a RAMPS kit with drivers is $ 80 Looks like you need to add the arduino card and a rambo 1.3 or 1.4 is 150

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

Since the board came out of the box blown, they are replacing it. They also sent me the specs for ordering replacements in the future or how to convert it to auto fuses. I work on HPs for a living, I just requested the specs to replace and since I just received it, they offered. I guess they considered it quality control. The new one will have a label to return this one. I am more than capable of replacing fuses, once I know what I need.