Topic: Damaged heated printing bed?

Hi y'all's
I just picked up an xyz davinci 1.0a, used off of Craigslist, with a heated bed, and have been printing basically every day with not a whole lot of good outcome.
PLA was printing alright, with maybe a little bit of warping mid print, but decent. I read that using an actual piece of glass as the bed, as opposed to the hard(ish) plastic clear cover that was on the heated bed was a better option, so I replaced the plastic with some glass cut down from a photo frame. The original hard plastic had cuts and ridges all over it, anyway. It just peeled off.
I recently tried printing with ABS in order to be able to use the printed parts in a hot interior of a car, and have been having problems all over the place
I read that an ideal print bed temp was 104, with an extruder temp of 240, but was having first layer adhesion issues, so I upped the bed temp to 110. I also went from using an abs slurry to a proper brim printed first, and it seemed to make it stick better.
I also made sure to keep the box closed, used the little side cover rounded rectangle things, and turned off the extruder fan in the print settings, to keep it nice and warm inside.
But as you can see, the glass has cracked, and it appears as though the heating element has burned along the top right corner? It may have been there before, but I can't remember. Also, my print has sagging issues mid print, which ive just learned is probably from too fast of a print, and probably too high of an ambient temperature

But more importantly, does that burn mean the heating element is borked? Is it heating unevenly now, or something? I will replace the glass again, but will it be pointless? Do I need a new printing bed? If so, can I replace it with a better one?

I realize this is a lot of information, but any help would be very much appreciated.
Cheers

Post's attachments

IMG_20180724_213511.jpg
IMG_20180724_213511.jpg 3.16 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

IMG_20180724_213539.jpg
IMG_20180724_213539.jpg 2.94 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Re: Damaged heated printing bed?

just any glass is not good enough, it should be boro silicate glass to handle the heat.

3 (edited by yizhou.he 2018-07-25 15:33:14)

90C for heated bed is usually sufficient. You can lower it to 70C or 80C with abs slurry or glut stick or hair spray. going to 110C for ABS is not necessary in most of the case. Bed temperature too high can cause trouble. I would use abs slurry or glut stick or hair spray and test how low bed temperature you can go without cause adhesion or layer split problems.

For glasses, normal glass should work just fine, but boro silicate glass maybe better in theory since it supposed to be much stronger. More importantly, clean your old print bed thoroughly, small pieces of anything hard including a sand between your old print bed and glass will greatly increase the chance of new glass broken when under pressure, even if you have strong boro silicate glass. If the old print bed is damaged and have rough surface, do some light sanding to make it smooth. And use double sided tape as filling and buffering if old bed is wrapped.

(Da Vinci 1.0, Jr. 1.0 RAMPS, miniMaker) X4, (Creality CR-10S, CR-10 mini, Ender-3) X4, Anycubic MEGA X4, Anycubic Chrion X1, ADMILAB Gantry X2 (MonoPrice Maker Select V2, Plus, Ultimate)X4--Select mini X1, Anycubic photon X4, Wanhao duplicate D7 X1.
iNSTONE Inventor Pro X2, CTC Dual X2, ANET-A8, Hictop 3DP-11, Solidoodle Press, FLSUN I3 2017X1

So, the heater element should be fine? You see the discolouration I'm talking about, right? In the upper right corner?

I actually went to go print something today, and it gets up to a certain temperature, but refuses to print, and instead displays a "heater/sensor fa" message on the LCD screen
I take it "fa" means failure, but which sensor would it be? The extruder or the bed?

Thanks for your help

Whoops. Just tried it again, after taking apart the print head, and I realized it was giving an error because I had an extra fan added to the extruder head

In taking it apart, I also realized that it doesn't have the original extruder
I assume it's a better one, but I don't know what kind of head it is
Can anyone have a look at my attached photo and tell me if they recognize it?
http://soliforum.com/i/?Vg4qGsk.jpg

looks like E3D clone mod. Maybe this one.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1275543

(Da Vinci 1.0, Jr. 1.0 RAMPS, miniMaker) X4, (Creality CR-10S, CR-10 mini, Ender-3) X4, Anycubic MEGA X4, Anycubic Chrion X1, ADMILAB Gantry X2 (MonoPrice Maker Select V2, Plus, Ultimate)X4--Select mini X1, Anycubic photon X4, Wanhao duplicate D7 X1.
iNSTONE Inventor Pro X2, CTC Dual X2, ANET-A8, Hictop 3DP-11, Solidoodle Press, FLSUN I3 2017X1