Topic: New to printing - DaVinci Mini

Hello there,

Referred here by a friend and though I would ask for a little help as I am new and have a limited vernacular at the moment.

I ran the first spool of filament through the DaVinci Minimaker and had great success with things sticking the the adhesive tape and printing right from the get go. However I have replaced it with a clear-green filament from XYZ and have had issues with the print lifting or shifting that appear to be from float on the bed.

I'm also attempting to print a mask I cut into pieces, but had to generate supports for (using Meshmaker) this print pretty well with minimal drips (?) where support was unavailable or somewhat malformed by the printer in the demo spool (clear-yellow 100m) but the clear-green (200m) will not hold and seems to be 'runny'. Like it leaves wisps and trails behind when moving point to point where the yellow spool did not.

Any thoughts, suggestions, advice is appreciated.

Re: New to printing - DaVinci Mini

I got a few sheets of buildtak from amazon and that has helped my bed adhesion a lot on my mini.  You technically want 150 mm x 150 mm sheets but all I could find were 6.5"x6.5" and they fit perfectly.

Remember that buildtak is thicker than tape and so you will need to raise your z offset by quite a bit.  To set the z offset I skipped out on the card, that never seemed to work.  Instead I did a binary search.  Basically I did a test print, and if the print was hitting the bed or causing the extruder to click or otherwise showing signs of being too low I increased the z offset by 100 mm.  Then on the second print the z offset was too high now (that was my goal) and nothing would stick so I lowered it by 50 mm, then on the third test print I could work out if I needed to go lower (nothing sticks) or higher (clicking and a squished first layer) and move 25 mm in the appropriate direction.  Repeat till you are satisfied with the results.

Things stick too well to the buildtak and the scraper that came with the machine was way too aggressive.  I found a very thin artists pallet knife on amazon and use that instead.  This looks about like a butter knife, it is an inch wide and 4 inches long and is very thin and flexible at the tip, the tip is also rounded.  It has enough strength to do light prying but is thin enough (and yet blunt enough) to slide under most anything safely.

I also almost always use a brim, even with the buildtak I have warping issues on anything but the most simple of prints and a brim helps a lot. 

Finally I just learned a new trick, if you are designing parts make the outer corners round rather than square and you will get a lot less warping.  A square corner puts a lot of strain on the model. You don't need to make things very round, a 2 mm radius makes a huge difference.

Anyway using those tricks I have printed just fine with clear green, within reason.  Without an enclosed and heated build environment you will always have a bit of trouble with warping but parts should always stick.

Thanks David appreciate the feed back. The room I'm printing in remains about 72 to 74 degrees Fahrenheit and the demo reel stuck pretty well. I realize I have to get some new adhesive paper though cause I ran my last sheet the other day.

Any ideas on why the filament is wisping or dragging as I call it? It is like the nozzle doesn't finish an extrusion before it moves and some of the material is dragged along the print or left behind on the bed when it finally drops off.

There may be a term for this I'm not sure but I haven't come across it yet.

Buruko wrote:

Thanks David appreciate the feed back. The room I'm printing in remains about 72 to 74 degrees Fahrenheit and the demo reel stuck pretty well. I realize I have to get some new adhesive paper though cause I ran my last sheet the other day.

Any ideas on why the filament is wisping or dragging as I call it? It is like the nozzle doesn't finish an extrusion before it moves and some of the material is dragged along the print or left behind on the bed when it finally drops off.

Sounds like you could be extruding too hot and the filament is oozing. Could also be over extrusion or your first layer is set too low/thin.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

carl_m1968 wrote:
Buruko wrote:

Sounds like you could be extruding too hot and the filament is oozing. Could also be over extrusion or your first layer is set too low/thin.

Or by chance your extruder is to close to the bed causing the first layer to be to thin as Carl mentioned

As a newbie I am relying on mostly the software. The XYZ software doesn't seem to offer a temperature setting but I'm working with techsupport on several issues with the software already. As for setting the first layer too low or thin the printer and software state that they 'auto level' so I don't really know how I can alter that.

But I may be mis-stating the issue, as it isn't that the layer drags when applied but that the extruder lifts and the filament lingers, this moves with the printer across the just laid layer. Leaving trails of the dangling filament across the layers already applied.

Again I'm probably explaining this poorly. I'll see about showing some photos of my prints with odd issues and maybe you helpful chaps can point in the right method of correction.

Buruko wrote:

As a newbie I am relying on mostly the software. The XYZ software doesn't seem to offer a temperature setting but I'm working with techsupport on several issues with the software already. As for setting the first layer too low or thin the printer and software state that they 'auto level' so I don't really know how I can alter that.

But I may be mis-stating the issue, as it isn't that the layer drags when applied but that the extruder lifts and the filament lingers, this moves with the printer across the just laid layer. Leaving trails of the dangling filament across the layers already applied.

Again I'm probably explaining this poorly. I'll see about showing some photos of my prints with odd issues and maybe you helpful chaps can point in the right method of correction.

Your biggest issue is that you bought an XYZ product. It is closed system and there is very little you can do yo tune and modify the print quality as the machine and software is now. But good luck.

Until you post some images we can only guess what you are talking about.

I did not see anything wrong with the machine so far. The bed tape supposed to be replaced every 5-10 prints, otherwise you will have trouble to stick your first layer. For the oozing or string issue, you need to lower the printing temperature. Only recent version of xyzware allows fine tone of the printing temperature. alternative easy solution is to blow a fan toward your print during the printing and see if it improves. If the hotend temperature have trouble to increase after you blow fan towards it, move your fan slightly far from the print to reduce the wind power.

Once you get it worked, this is the first thing you want to print so that you don't have to keep the fan blowing at it.

https://www.myminifactory.com/object/3d … mini-25978

(Da Vinci 1.0, Jr. 1.0 RAMPS, miniMaker) X4, (Creality CR-10S, CR-10 mini, Ender-3) X4, Anycubic MEGA X4, Anycubic Chrion X1, ADMILAB Gantry X2 (MonoPrice Maker Select V2, Plus, Ultimate)X4--Select mini X1, Anycubic photon X4, Wanhao duplicate D7 X1.
iNSTONE Inventor Pro X2, CTC Dual X2, ANET-A8, Hictop 3DP-11, Solidoodle Press, FLSUN I3 2017X1

Printed a top and you can see the wisps of PLA between the pieces.

http://soliforum.com/i/?M03U6Eu.jpg

This is a support that was to hold up a print but never made it that far before it fell over. You can see the layers appear to roll and the PLA is stringy.

http://soliforum.com/i/?rg5c9oc.jpg

This image is where a support was next to part of a print, it appears the PLA was dragged across and built up incorrectly. Or perhaps the lattice work is moving?

http://soliforum.com/i/?Nfb2iqH.jpg

This is the test strip it did just before my last print, at first it appears okay but then it had excess PLA on one part and wasn't consistent.

http://soliforum.com/i/?KXGX0aB.jpg

And I get that this isn't the best printer, that it has a lot of... ire about it for various reasons, but I'm trying to learn and experiment on it cause it was a decent price point as to say I appreciate your patience and assistance.

@Yizhou.he the only way I can figure out how to adjust the print temperature is via the XYZ Ware application and saving a configuration with temperature settings prior to printing. I haven't tried this yet but it is the only way I can find. The Printer Plugin doesn't work off the XYZ Maker software for some reason and I've had a ticket open with them sometime for this issue.

The test strip looks OK. the in-perfect part is some filament stick to your nozzle and that's exactly what the test strip is for, to prime the nozzle with filament and get ride of the filament that stuck to outside of the nozzle.

The oozing is not too bad, blow a fan toward your print during the printing and see if it improves. If the hotend temperature have trouble to increase after you blow fan towards it, move your fan slightly far from the print to reduce the wind power.

As for the support, how fast are you printing? I think 30-40mm/s usually gives good result for Da Vinci Jr. /miniMaker.

(Da Vinci 1.0, Jr. 1.0 RAMPS, miniMaker) X4, (Creality CR-10S, CR-10 mini, Ender-3) X4, Anycubic MEGA X4, Anycubic Chrion X1, ADMILAB Gantry X2 (MonoPrice Maker Select V2, Plus, Ultimate)X4--Select mini X1, Anycubic photon X4, Wanhao duplicate D7 X1.
iNSTONE Inventor Pro X2, CTC Dual X2, ANET-A8, Hictop 3DP-11, Solidoodle Press, FLSUN I3 2017X1

yizhou.he wrote:

As for the support, how fast are you printing? I think 30-40mm/s usually gives good result for Da Vinci Jr. /miniMaker.

Well the lovely options on the print config are Slow, Normal, and Fast. As Normal appears to be default I've been using that. Of course I'm having to print off the XYZ Ware software and unable to use the plugin directly which seems to offer more direct options.

As for the fan did you see the recommendation of this print for future use? https://www.myminifactory.com/object/3d … mini-25978

I have plans to print one and give it a shot but the warranty still being intact is about the only thing that has prevented me from doing so. I may get a small fan to aim at it for future testing.

Thanks for your feedback!

Buruko wrote:
yizhou.he wrote:

Well the lovely options on the print config are Slow, Normal, and Fast. As Normal appears to be default I've been using that. Of course I'm having to print off the XYZ Ware software and unable to use the plugin directly which seems to offer more direct options.

As for the fan did you see the recommendation of this print for future use? https://www.myminifactory.com/object/3d … mini-25978

I have plans to print one and give it a shot but the warranty still being intact is about the only thing that has prevented me from doing so. I may get a small fan to aim at it for future testing.

Thanks for your feedback!

The XYZ warranty is worthless. They require you to ship the unit back to the factory at your cost in Taiwan.

I agree with Carl, don’t have any expectations for xyzpring for warranty, if anything went wrong with your printer, the support you get is very limited, you will be charged a lot for shipping or parts.

On the other hand, the mod you linked to is easy to take off before you send it back.

I will third the XYZ support- non existent, but I did manage to source a new print bed from amazon in europe when I cracked the glass on my 1.0Ais, at the full list price. (UK resident here)