Topic: Standards in FDM, et al.

Is there any organisation that sets a standard, like NEMA is a recognised set of standards used in the stepper motors.

So the control layer must be built on some kind of standard that allows gCode from one system to be run on another with minimal or no alteration.

Bob's your uncle (and likely your father too...)
I laughed that hard, I burst my colostomy bag.... (When I got my GeeeTech Pi3 ProB)
Prusa i3 MK2 clone by GeeeTech aka Pi3 ProB with a GT2560 board on MX17 Linux.

Re: Standards in FDM, et al.

mark.giblin wrote:

Is there any organisation that sets a standard, like NEMA is a recognised set of standards used in the stepper motors.

So the control layer must be built on some kind of standard that allows gCode from one system to be run on another with minimal or no alteration.

There is not, just like there is no organization to control the quality of filament from one company to the next.

You have to understand that 3d printing is a hobby, not a consumer market contrary to advertising practices of certain brand names (looking at you XYZ) and as such is not regulated or monitored. The only reason the motors are regulated is because they where used in applications (dot matrix printers and copiers) that required regulation long before these printers came along. Even then they are not regulated in the application used in 3d printers as evident by the wide variation in torque in many printers.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

3 (edited by Tin Falcon 2018-07-11 23:42:13)

The only organization I am aware of is the rep rap movement and i am not aware of any standards set by them.
The only standard I am aware of is the 1.75 mm  and the 2.85 mm Aka 3 mm set for filament. And this is kind of an upper limit . Many of the better filament makers have there own standard.  and as long as the size is consistent and fits though the extuder people do not care a lot. (it is a good idea to measure each roll and input this info into your slicer)
Some filament makers publish a pantone number of each color. Pantone is a color standard company.
There is also a web page http://greybeard3d.com/tha attempts to make sence of the color maze out there.
And as carl mentioned the  NEMA (Standard) simply refers to the face dimensions of the stepper motor nema 14.17, 23. 34 etc
and even that standard is a bit random as a nema 14 is 1.4  in aross the face and a NEMA 23 is 2.3 in across the face. most manufacturers will also give a length. And the performance varies from motor to motor.
Dremel actualy has there 3d printers UL approved . Something unusual in the 3d printing industry.
Unlike the Nanny state you seem to live in there is no big brother 3d printer police.
The standards out there are self imposed.

“The wonderful thing about standards is that there are so many of them to choose from.”

― Grace Murray Hopper
The late great rear admiral Of the US Navy  and computer pioneer

Tin

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

carl_m1968 wrote:

There is not, just like there is no organization to control the quality of filament from one company to the next.

Well I am talking in general here about the hardware layer, software layer and the control layers of the systems. When things are designed, even from an amature perspective, at some point, someone had to write the spec or standard or the how to build a ... as the inventor or author of a system or thing to do with FDM or CNC....

Control Layers affect hardware, these are software driven and software is affected by inputs from hardware.

They are often used for copyright purposes, proof of ownership of an idea, etc.

I am asking because I would like to know, these machines are based on industrial technology, so there must be some industry spec that I can look in to. NEMA for example, I'd say 99% of all multi axis stuff I have seen uses NEMA motors, HOWEVER there are other makers of steppers and there are some very exotic steppers and actuators. I know from a teenager asking a guy I knew who worked for a company that made linear actuators what one was.

Anyway, the objective for me is that I am writing out a plan of something that I want to build, need to know how to write a spec so that others can without prior knowledge can easily replicate what I am trying to do as a project. Well its one of several ideas rattling around my head.

I am currently trying to stuff my head with some digital electronics fundamentals, its hurting a fair bit as I have already blunted three drill bits. I am dreading getting to the Arduino, needs more of a slot that one. Not saying where the batteries go... (Home brew cyborg joke)

So, I was wondering about the whole thing, where did the hobby machines get their specs from, they had to come from somewhere and its likely source is from the industrial sector.

I laughed that hard, I burst my colostomy bag.... (When I got my GeeeTech Pi3 ProB)

Tin Falcon wrote:

Unlike the Nanny state you seem to live in there is no big brother 3d printer police.

“The wonderful thing about standards is that there are so many of them to choose from.”

― Grace Murray Hopper

Tin

Standards exist for a reason, without them, how do you know your getting a gallon of gas or a kilo of dope?

What I mean is, everything has to have a standard written so that the process can be replicated by others in a safe manner.

Like its no use using thin wires on a system that is drawing double digits current, you get a fire... this is what I think it the major problem here, the lack of a basic safety standard is the reason so many fires have been reported.

People make changes to their kit build, I get that as I have made changes, however, I have actually ensured that I have got the right stuff to do the job, others may not consider that a mistake can lead to a fire.

Having built computers in the past, I know that the most often complained about issue that friends and neighbours reported were all too common issues and it stemmed from the fact that PC manufacturers do not put in power supplies that are powerful enough to cope with any more load than it is currently drawing.

Lack of headroom is a number one service call creator and my advice was to upgrade the PSU, once I worked out the total draw, I added 50% on top of that and swapped out the old for the more powerful and that solved issues until the "Your power supplies slowed my PC down" claims came in... You know what people are like... *face palm moment*

Point is, there is nothing stopping one being drawn up, safe electrics, what do you require???

Well simple sentence like

Power supply must
.: be Earthed / Grounded by connection to the supply socket earthing pin
.: supply current for peak loads without overheating or the temperature of the supply exceeding 50 degrees C
.: have adequate protection from short circuit, current overload, over heating and automatic shutdown
.: not have exposed terminals
.: have correct spacing and isolation of high voltage side to low voltage side

and so on, thats just the power supply, a guide to say what the supply should be capable of delivering and reminder that components will draw current no matter how small, it all adds up.

mark.giblin wrote:
Tin Falcon wrote:

― Grace Murray Hopper

Tin

Standards exist for a reason, without them, how do you know your getting a gallon of gas or a kilo of dope?

What I mean is, everything has to have a standard written so that the process can be replicated by others in a safe manner.

Like its no use using thin wires on a system that is drawing double digits current, you get a fire... this is what I think it the major problem here, the lack of a basic safety standard is the reason so many fires have been reported.

People make changes to their kit build, I get that as I have made changes, however, I have actually ensured that I have got the right stuff to do the job, others may not consider that a mistake can lead to a fire.

Having built computers in the past, I know that the most often complained about issue that friends and neighbours reported were all too common issues and it stemmed from the fact that PC manufacturers do not put in power supplies that are powerful enough to cope with any more load than it is currently drawing.

Lack of headroom is a number one service call creator and my advice was to upgrade the PSU, once I worked out the total draw, I added 50% on top of that and swapped out the old for the more powerful and that solved issues until the "Your power supplies slowed my PC down" claims came in... You know what people are like... *face palm moment*

Point is, there is nothing stopping one being drawn up, safe electrics, what do you require???

Well simple sentence like

Power supply must
.: be Earthed / Grounded by connection to the supply socket earthing pin
.: supply current for peak loads without overheating or the temperature of the supply exceeding 50 degrees C
.: have adequate protection from short circuit, current overload, over heating and automatic shutdown
.: not have exposed terminals
.: have correct spacing and isolation of high voltage side to low voltage side

and so on, thats just the power supply, a guide to say what the supply should be capable of delivering and reminder that components will draw current no matter how small, it all adds up.

Hobby market, not consumer market. Keep those words in mind and at heart. We are the developers, we are the engineers that build the machine the way we want. It is our fault if it crashes and burns. Keep also in mind that very few printers are manufactured in the US or the UK. They all come from Asia where US and UK standards DO NOT apply. Nor can they be held accountable for issues if you buy a none certified product from them.

To my knowledge as Tim said in your other thread that seems to be morphing with this one as you seem to be crossing them together is that Dremel is the only printer I know of with a UL cert which means it has all the things you are asking for. So maybe consider selling your hobby machine that any of us would be happy with and buy the safe and certified and standardized Dremel machine.

Good luck on parts though.

Yes I do Know that i work with standards on a daily basis. Most 3d printers are built with metric hardware.

Hobby market, not consumer market. Keep those words in mind and at heart. We are the developers, we are the engineers that build the machine the way we want. It is our fault if it crashes and burns. Keep also in mind that very few printers are manufactured in the US or the UK

Like carl i see no need for regulation or standardization of 3d printers. If your cheap chines kit is not to you liking simply fix it , change it or sell it.

This is a hobby make with it what you like.

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed

carl_m1968 wrote:

Hobby market, not consumer market. Keep those words in mind and at heart.

Hobby or not, its a consumer market, anything you buy as an after product or anything associated with the thing you are doing is consumer market and not as simple as hobbyists gear is different and somehow regulations do not apply.

Standards are everywhere whether or not you see them, percieve them or know about them, there are standards in operation all around you.

So in a hobby situation, there will be standards at work, RC planes don't just allow people to use any old rotor, it will have to be made to a standard, one that dictates is shape to do the job, its density and make up to be able to withstand the huge physical forces at the tip of the rotor, which I understand can be as much as several tons of centrifugal force at the tip, if substandard plastics or materials are used, then that rotor is going to shred itself.

So someone will have written a standard that says how to make a propeller that will not destroy itself, perform properly and safely.

Now I can imagine that the person who made the first hobby FDM may have written a "How I did it" which will in its own right be "The standard" that people use as a template.

Tin Falcon wrote:

Yes I do Know that i work with standards on a daily basis. Most 3d printers are built with metric hardware.

Hobby market, not consumer market. Keep those words in mind and at heart. We are the developers, we are the engineers that build the machine the way we want. It is our fault if it crashes and burns. Keep also in mind that very few printers are manufactured in the US or the UK

Like carl i see no need for regulation or standardization of 3d printers. If your cheap chines kit is not to you liking simply fix it , change it or sell it.

This is a hobby make with it what you like.

I think people misunderstand the "standards" and that if you are first, write up your "How I did it" and publish it, it is basically "A Standard" as long as another person can pick up that book and copy what you did and create a working system.

What you use in your build is part of that standard, anything that links to those components to supply power will have been used as a standard. The hobbyist however, will likely have used sturdier materials and so on.

What I am looking for is the standard that is the template for FDM, not what crap is on offer built or kit, there will be someone who has published online their standard(s) as there will invariably be more than one origin for building an FDM.

Youtube has been useful to a degree but not helpfu;l in finding this "Jump" point where someone copied a working industrial machine, FDM has existed for a lot longer than people realize, it, like CNC milling, it was copied. FDM is no different, Industrial machinery has always ended up in hobbyists hands in one form or another, whether it be something aimed at the hobbiest or not.

I remember my Grandfathers Shed, he was an engineer, build 1/nth size working replicas to absolute minute detail, he worked to a standard (the drawing) to make the parts, nothing like hobbiests machine parts today, he made everything out of solid blocks of metal, no bought parts.

Standards exist in many forms. They are more often written and presented as a "How I did it" and not as a standard would be written laying out specs, its less formal but often references to certain needs, pitfalls, things to be aware of, etc.

I find it had to believe that FDM has got this far and there has been no standard to work to as a guide.

A standard for example can be as simple as

Equal parts of
1/4 Cup butter
1/4 Sugar
1/4 Self Raising flour
1/4 Milk
Mix sugar and butter until creamy
Add flour and milk and whisk together slowly

Preheat oven to ...

If you alter the standard above, you get a pancake not a sponge cake... Thats how subtle standards can be.

In the FDM word people don't generate such documents as they feel others will do things their own way.,not copy. Only the Chinese copy.

carl_m1968 wrote:

In the FDM word people don't generate such documents as they feel others will do things their own way.,not copy. Only the Chinese copy.

But you have to have a document showing what went in to something if you are going to copy and I am more for Open Source than copying.

You may not think it but at some point there was a standard that the hobyist took, someone will know that that standard was and where it came from, as in the industrial sector.

12 (edited by carl_m1968 2018-07-13 18:06:29)

Mark the plain simple truth that you seem unable to accept is that this standard you speak of and wish for just does not happen nor exist in the 3d printer world. People just do things with out documenting it.

Much of the time a mod or change is on a whim and just toying around but they like it so they keep it. Sometimes it is out of personal necessity so there is no need to document for others.

Often times it is a full conversion that you get so deep into that you don't have time or you forget to document it.

What you have found on the net or here is it.

If you want such a database or organization then you will need to be the creator and founder.

some kind of standard that allows gCode from one system to be run on another

IMHO there are just to many variants in 3d printers  to allow for this.
And with slicers g code is more or less disposable.
And hobbyists are continually changing settings and hardware.
this is why stl files are shared instead.

14 (edited by Tin Falcon 2018-07-14 00:02:04)

if you are looking to build a printer that is well documented look here;
https://www.kraegar.com/railcoreii

this is one of many open build  projects out there . People do document an publish there printer projects.

This is not necessarily the cheapest way to go the railcore as specified  will cost $1,200 to $1,400. for parts .
that is not including options and shipping costs.

Other projects

https://reprap.org/wiki/HyperCube

Scalar printers

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:891409
ultimaker 2
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:811271
BCN3D source files here
https://www.bcn3dtechnologies.com/en/bc … rce-files/

Any true open source  company has the files available tht you can build your own printer.

More projects here:

https://openbuilds.com/

ok - so the various components used in 3d printers DO have appropriate "standards" - NEMA motors, the controller boards, and various other bits & pieces.. but HOW those components are put together does not have specific "standards" because it is a HOBBY market, NOT a consumer market, per se..

Yes, the big companies may have "standards" written specifically for their machines - DaVinci, Makerbot, Dremel, etc - BUT those are "CLOSED source" machines - Proprietary - they do not share that info.

Open Source is just that - you are open to source your own bits & pieces and put them together however you like - maybe it works, maybe it doesn't. That is called "innovation".
No, the information is not documented all neat & tidy the way you seem to want it to be, but it IS out there IF you take the time to look for it.

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

heartless wrote:

ok - so the various components used in 3d printers DO have appropriate "standards" - NEMA motors, the controller boards, and various other bits & pieces.. but HOW those components are put together does not have specific "standards" because it is a HOBBY market, NOT a consumer market, per se..

Yes, the big companies may have "standards" written specifically for their machines - DaVinci, Makerbot, Dremel, etc - BUT those are "CLOSED source" machines - Proprietary - they do not share that info.

Open Source is just that - you are open to source your own bits & pieces and put them together however you like - maybe it works, maybe it doesn't. That is called "innovation".
No, the information is not documented all neat & tidy the way you seem to want it to be, but it IS out there IF you take the time to look for it.

You know he is going to want you to supply links... ^_^

You know he is going to want you to supply links

IMHO it help to know what one is looking for  when searching.
I did provide several links to some well documented open source projects

Tin Falcon wrote:

some kind of standard that allows gCode from one system to be run on another

IMHO there are just to many variants in 3d printers  to allow for this.
And with slicers g code is more or less disposable.
And hobbyists are continually changing settings and hardware.
this is why stl files are shared instead.

Thats the whole point, what people do after is up to them.

What I am trying to scratch the surface of is where the standard ORIGINALLY came from, Industry is the usual suspect.

It doesn't matter what people do after thats always going to happen, like while I was building my kit, I made changes to improve the build and building it I put in the same sort of care I would and built it so that it was setup and worked on first print.

So in a nutshell, what happens after is completely irrelevant to what I am asking.

Now information should be out there, I am asking for that information and its not about every printer is different, that again is completely irrelevant.

Someone somewhere published a document on FDM or CNC or wherever this idea came from. Thats the document I am looking for because someone doesn't go and kick start a hobby scene that others follow with no instructions... There has to be a or more than one document online.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4973
This is documentation for one of the first commercially made open source printers.
the maker bot thing o matic.

carl_m1968 wrote:
heartless wrote:

You know he is going to want you to supply links... ^_^

LOL - aint got time for all that...

I did suggest that the info is out there - one just has to look.
(and no, I wont do the looking for someone else.. if they want it bad enough, they will figure it out) =P

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

Someone somewhere published a document on FDM or CNC or wherever this idea came from. Thats the document I am looking for because someone doesn't go and kick start a hobby scene that others follow with no instructions... There has to be a or more than one document online.

3d printing started as an industrial venture in the 1980s
the reprap movement has been around about 10 years.
Look up the history of 3d printing. 

The info is out there you jut may need to dig a bit.

Tin Falcon wrote:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4973
This is documentation for one of the first commercially made open source printers.
the maker bot thing o matic.

Interesting.

I can see some parts in there look very similar to other designs already!

From it, I have alredy jumped down that little rabbit hole... See where it goes.

23 (edited by mark.giblin 2018-07-14 10:13:13)

... and history teaches us that the person who claims to be the first is often not the first. Like Bill Gates who stole off Steve Jobs and
those of napster fame were reported to have stolen the software off a student who was "Napping" on their laptop and plenty of other stories float around and since following the links I see, Someone is claiming to have invented FDM, which I do not believe for one second.

We have Charles Hull form the US claiming he invented FDM by way of STL in 1986, however it on further investigation appear in 1980 in Japan... yet you input inventor od 3D printing, chances are you get Stratsys at the top of the pile and considering that they were late to the dinner party, goes to show just how people see themselves on the internet when the truth is far from the reality we are presented.

So that alone blow many holes in several peoples claims to be the granddaddy of FDM.

So Hull and Clump I think need to wind it back in a bit.
This is the problem with the internet, the person who shouts loudest and often gets pole position and falsely claim that throne.

If I said "DOT MATRIX PRINTER" you are going to instantly thing of the 1980's... WRONG, think of 1925.

Invention is often the compilation or re purposing of existing technology.
And do not blame the internet.  Thomas Edison is taught to be Americas greatest inventor. This is mainly because he marketed himself and patented the inventions of his workers. George Westinghouse  and Nikola Tesla contributed  just as much if not more to society.
The Hollerith card used in the  1890 census and for computer program storage until somewhere in the early 2000s  can be traced back to the automated loom from 1725.

The fax machine was patented in Great Brittan in 1843 but was not commercialized  until more like 1963.

25 (edited by Tin Falcon 2018-07-15 12:48:46)

Reprap g code cheat sheet here:
http://www.makeit-3d.com/wp-content/upl … tSheet.pdf

You may also want to read here
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G-code
and here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_o … al_control

The below link is info on g code compilers

https://technobauble.ca/computer-numeri … omplilers/

The last ratified standard was in 1980, and the last open source variant in 2000 (RS274NGC_3.pdf – 2000). Most manufacturers extend it in their own directions, making incompatible changes to others doing the same thing.

And the link to the latest standard for compilers.
https://code.google.com/archive/p/rs274ngc/downloads