Topic: Solidoodle 3/RUMBA Issue

OK, all you soli/Rumba gurus out there, I have a problem with my printer. I have been on the phone with Azerate for over a hour, and he is scratching his head as much as I am.

Here's what happens:

Load up a file in Repetier, slice it and begin the print. I have error logging and everything on.
everything warms up just fine, and it starts printing. It makes the border, and then starts the layer 1 infil
It gets about 1/3 of the way into this step, and everything SHUTS OFF.
Dead, nothing, no errors in the log or anything. Just Stops.
Wait a few seconds, the fans come back on, and the software looks like it is still printing, till the thermistor registers a drop in temp.

I have to shut the printer down, and reboot the computer to get it to reconnect.
It wont finish anything now and I need help

PLEASE!!!!

3D Systems Cube, Hacked for Bulk Filament
Monoprice Replicator built from kit
Solidoodle 3, E3D Lite6, Rumba Upgrade
FT-i3 Mega, Looking for Dual Extruder Mods

2 (edited by Tin Falcon 2018-07-08 20:40:15)

Re: Solidoodle 3/RUMBA Issue

what temp and  material are you printing at. My guess is you are close to max temp  and the temp overruns a bit setting off the safety protocol .just a guess.
you may want to try printing at 5- 10 degrees cooler .

What changed what is different?
IIRC the max temp is set for 230 c

Heartless has experience with the rumba board and may have a better answer.

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

3 (edited by carl_m1968 2018-07-08 20:40:18)

What is the current on your power supply? Have you tried measuring the voltage while the print is running? It sounds to me the power supply may be dropping out from over current due to all the systems running at one time. Power supplies do go bad over time and can be damaged by surges and brown outs. Trust me on this a my profession is repairing rectifiers for the telcom industry. As they get old or damaged they may still work but can no longer handle a full or even partial current load.

As for an over temp issue I would think there would be some entry in the log regarding this or the temp record should show a rise above the cutoff temp.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

printing PLA at 190,

timed it on the last 2 attempts, its exactly 2 min 48 seconds after warm up
Nothing changed on the printer except I added a fan to the X motor to keep it cooler.
It worked for 2 days after the fan mod. Repetier did a update, and it printed 3 jobs after that before it lost its mind.
Rolled software back, still shuts off. Decided to try a different USB port, and got same result.
I was just complimenting this printer on how good it has been running the last couple weeks.
Then the gremlins rear their ugly little heads

I have another Supernight power supply I was going to use to upgrade another printer. I can hook that up and see if it makes it work.

Take a look at your power supply!! Do you have a spare to try. May need to get a super night or the like.
Are you still using stock ?

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

No, I upgraded it to a supernight when I went to the E3D

ok, lets get a time line of events, shall we..

Starting with when you upgraded to the E3D & it sounds like you went to a Supernight PSU as well at the same time?
how long after that was it printing well?
What happened next?
When did you install the X fan?
When did RH update?
Which of those came first?

Don't need exact dates, but an estimate of what happened when.. days? weeks? hours?

you said you tried a different USB port, but have you tried a different cable?

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

He ran several successful prints until his left carriage melted. I supplied the Left Lawsy out of ABS full infill. I recommended adjusting his X voltage and adding a fan to the X motor while I supplied him with a new carriage and a fan mount not offered by Printit. Motor heat issues are now resolved as he also dialed the voltage back. He added M106 and M107 to his start and stop gCode to the the X and E motors on at all times during prints which is when he started experiencing the issues. His wiring checks up, but his voltage is 12.2 and he is using a solid core core wire for HBPWR. Those are the only things I can’t tgink of.

Win7 and RH 1.6 downgraded from 2.12 after issues. He is using a surge protector and he gets no error codes from RH until well after it shuts off.

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

is that 12.2v at idle, or under a full load?

if that is the voltage at idle, it needs to be turned up a tad. under a full load of heatbed running, hotend running and motors running, I am betting the voltage is dropping below 12v.

mine are set closer to 13v at idle (about 12.8 or so)

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

heartless wrote:

is that 12.2v at idle, or under a full load?

if that is the voltage at idle, it needs to be turned up a tad. under a full load of heatbed running, hotend running and motors running, I am betting the voltage is dropping below 12v.

mine are set closer to 13v at idle (about 12.8 or so)

+1 - Crank it up to at least 12.8V at idle...

Also, if you warm everything up and let it sit does it still shut down? If not, then (with motors shut off) try manually moving the carriage around X/Y and see if that can throw the error. If it does, then there is some loose or shorted wiring.

SD2 - Stock - Enclosure - Heated Bed - Glass Plate - Auto Fire Extinguisher
Ord Bot Hadron - RAMPS 1.4 - Bulldog XL - E3D v6 - 10" x 10" PCB Heated Build w/SSR - Glass Plate
Thanks for All of Your Help!

12 (edited by whttnbrg 2018-07-10 03:28:00)

Adjusted voltage to 12.8vdc at idle, started a print job. while the job was running, it dropped to 12.68vdc. At the 2 min 45 second mark, the printer just stopped, and the meter was still reading 12.7vdc. the voltage never dropped off or fluctuated coming from the PS to the board. Do I have a board fault, or maybe bad firmware?? It does the same thing with different print jobs. It prints for 2 min & 40-50 seconds almost on the mark from first carriage movement on the print job.

With everything running, it stays running, I can move the carriage and nothing happens. It only happens while in a active print job being pushed from the computer.

13 (edited by whttnbrg 2018-07-10 15:05:13)

OK, I think I got it figured out. I was running a little desk fan next to the rumba board, to "cool" it. With adding the X fan, and getting the lights hooked up, it had been moved and wasnt blowing directly on the board. I put it back right at the board, and I  was able to keep printing. I jumped on Thingiverse and downloaded a file that will make a enclosure instead of the flat mount that I have now, that will mount a couple 40mm fans for direct cooling on the board.

I use 80mm fans on all my boards for cooling along with heatsinks on all the larger chips

Sd4 #9080 with a glass bed. E3d chimera duel extruder. Paste extruder , duet wifi.
Lawsy carriages. linear bearings. Y axis direct drive, Kinect scanner
SD4#8188 glass bed, lawsly carriages, E3d v6, octoprint http://www.ustream.tv/channel/hotrod96z28
Filastruder/filawinder, Custom Delta 300mm x 600mm