Topic: Long Term Print Stability

I am working on a project going on nearly three years now. It is an Elctro-Thermal gun but it is not the topic I wish to bring up.

I am using Wanhao resin in my D7. Their clear stuff to print a sabot that will fit snugly in a 45 cal rifled barrel I bought off ebay. The part was printed so it was just the right size to engage the rifling and still move through the barrel with some force behind it.

Now after a year of sitting on my bench waiting for my creative juices to flow again those parts no longer fit in the barrel. They are very tight now and require considerable force to even get them started into the part that is not rifled. So based on this observation it would seem that Wanhao resin swells a bit over a long period of time.

I am wondering if anyone else has made this observation with other resins? I have yet to try others as the D7 is rather finicky and seems to prefer their brand.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

Re: Long Term Print Stability

Carl
I wonder if they have pulled in the humidity?
I have had spools of ABS that have and the filament did swell.

Dale

Ultimaker S3.

I found just the opposite with FormLabs resin, it tends to shrink a bit.  But not after a year. 

Initially it swells a bit when it soaks in the IPA, as it has a tendency to absorb the IPA, but when the IPA evaporates, it returns to the normal size, and if left alone, it might shrink ever so slightly over a month period, but not after that.

For the last year or so, I've been using ApplyLabWorkls resin almost exclusively, and I find it very stable.  I printed a couple of things that were designed to fit together (ball in socket), and they still fit fine (smooth motion, no binding) almost a year later.

To print or, 3D print, that is the question...
SD3 printer w/too many mods,  Printrbot Simple Maker Ed.,  FormLabs Form 1+
AnyCubic Photon, Shining 3D EinScan-S & Atlas 3D scanners...
...and too much time on my hands.

pirvan wrote:

I found just the opposite with FormLabs resin, it tends to shrink a bit.  But not after a year. 

Initially it swells a bit when it soaks in the IPA, as it has a tendency to absorb the IPA, but when the IPA evaporates, it returns to the normal size, and if left alone, it might shrink ever so slightly over a month period, but not after that.

For the last year or so, I've been using ApplyLabWorkls resin almost exclusively, and I find it very stable.  I printed a couple of things that were designed to fit together (ball in socket), and they still fit fine (smooth motion, no binding) almost a year later.

I wonder if the ball and socket still work ok since both parts are printed and the change is uniform over both. I always find printing parts to fit printed parts is fine but printing to fit already existing parts never goes well for a few tries.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

5 (edited by pirvan 2018-07-09 03:25:32)

If parts were to swell, the outer dimensions would increase, so the ball would have a larger diameter, and the socket's inner diameter would be smaller, so definitely they wouldn't fit, or at the very least would bind.

To print or, 3D print, that is the question...
SD3 printer w/too many mods,  Printrbot Simple Maker Ed.,  FormLabs Form 1+
AnyCubic Photon, Shining 3D EinScan-S & Atlas 3D scanners...
...and too much time on my hands.