Topic: A question of software... Pt.2

Ok... I already asked one question about software and got some answers that are being investigated still...

HOWEVER... there is still the issue over the GT2560 board from GeeeTech. It obviously has been flashed with software as the system works out the box (after assembly) as in moving on all axis and the extruder works and the hot bed and hot end work...

The problem... Arduino...

1. None of my windows installs of 7, 10 (both 64bit) show any com ports. I looked in the device manager and can see USB all over the place but not ONE single solitary COM port. It is something I am trying to sort out.

2. I was able to install and it runs and shows up ports on my Linux system without an issue which is a first because in all the years of arduino downloads for linux, this is the FIRST to install properly on linux. I am stunned, forget being impressed...

So now I have an Arduino install that is actually working, I am not that familiar with the architecture of the boards, can the existing flashed ram be read so it can be backed up?

If so, how?   

I want to be able to back up what is on there before I start to mess around with the flashing of the system.

Bob's your uncle (and likely your father too...)
I laughed that hard, I burst my colostomy bag.... (When I got my GeeeTech Pi3 ProB)
Prusa i3 MK2 clone by GeeeTech aka Pi3 ProB with a GT2560 board on MX17 Linux.

Re: A question of software... Pt.2

It is my understanding you need to get a copy of the file from geeetech.
Once flashed to the board it is very difficult to impossible to extract.

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

3 (edited by carl_m1968 2018-06-27 12:37:53)

Just an FYI I had a Chinese printer for a while and it would only work on Windows XP. Sounds odd but I even got the supplier to confirm it. Something about the firmware only talked to XP com ports. This was about 5 years ago when XP was already long gone. It was yet another reason to swap out the logic on another printer.

Just so I could use it till I got the new board I went on ebay and bought an old XP laptop for $50.

I contacted the maker of the printer and asked if they expect me to use an OS that has been outdated for sometime. I told them very few people still use XP here in the US except for some businesses. They told me that XP was still the standard there and that was why the unit was setup for that OS.

As for saving the existing flash it has nothing to do with Arduino. You would have to get the software suite used for that processor and all you can do is extract the existing firmware as a BIN file. You would probably also have to have the proper connector and interface to connect to the JTAG port on the board if it even has one. That file will not allow you to do anything but flash it to another or same processor. It can not be edited. Unless you know the exact method they used to compile the firmware, there is no way to de-compile it.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

carl_m1968 wrote:

Just an FYI I had a Chinese printer for a while and it would only work on Windows XP. Sounds odd but I even got the supplier to confirm it. Something about the firmware only talked to XP com ports. This was about 5 years ago when XP was already long gone. It was yet another reason to swap out the logic on another printer.

What I might do, I have my own ideas on how to run the system and make improvements that could make life easier for many people. When I finally get set up that is... Gotta make this stuff yet!

carl_m1968 wrote:

Just so I could use it till I got the new board I went on ebay and bought an old XP laptop for $50.

I have Windows XP on a machine. Will try that and see if its an OS issue.

carl_m1968 wrote:

I contacted the maker of the printer and asked if they expect me to use an OS that has been outdated for sometime. I told them very few people still use XP here in the US except for some businesses. They told me that XP was still the standard there and that was why the unit was setup for that OS.

Communication with GeeeTech is like trying to wring blood out of a stone. Despite trying to register, recover an account, their system insist that I am registered (obviously been in contact with them via Aliexpress) but their system when I try an account recovery results in... No recognised username or account.

I can't speak to GeeeTech via Aliexpress as I would have to buy something to raise a complaint but only about that product... So it would mean buying another stitchup, I mean quality product. Still, its part of the fun I guess.

carl_m1968 wrote:

As for saving the existing flash it has nothing to do with Arduino. You would have to get the software suite used for that processor and all you can do is extract the existing firmware as a BIN file. You would probably also have to have the proper connector and interface to connect to the JTAG port on the board if it even has one. That file will not allow you to do anything but flash it to another or same processor. It can not be edited. Unless you know the exact method they used to compile the firmware, there is no way to de-compile it.

The chip stores the program in the flash which is in the atmel chip.

Was wondering what if any Arduino type GUIs exist as some of the videos I have watched on the development board have people using different environments because they play with other dev boards too. I vaguely recall someone reading an atmel chip and can't remeber how, it it was hardware like they desoldered the chip or had a reader made out of another arduino... any wisdom is appreciated.

I laughed that hard, I burst my colostomy bag.... (When I got my GeeeTech Pi3 ProB)

5 (edited by mark.giblin 2018-06-28 12:03:35)

Tin Falcon wrote:

It is my understanding you need to get a copy of the file from geeetech.
Once flashed to the board it is very difficult to impossible to extract.

I will have a look at that, thanks.

Additional... Found out through a comment how to solve the problem of the thread style change...

I think I need to have a break because my head is so far up my sunshine hole that I am not thinking like I used to. Main problem with searching is that google will send you what it thinks you are looking for and not what you are looking for, hence the pile of toaster in the corner. When you want to burn stuff, I get toasters on offer. Geeez.

mark.giblin wrote:
carl_m1968 wrote:

What I might do, I have my own ideas on how to run the system and make improvements that could make life easier for many people. When I finally get set up that is... Gotta make this stuff yet!

carl_m1968 wrote:

I have Windows XP on a machine. Will try that and see if its an OS issue.

carl_m1968 wrote:

Communication with GeeeTech is like trying to wring blood out of a stone. Despite trying to register, recover an account, their system insist that I am registered (obviously been in contact with them via Aliexpress) but their system when I try an account recovery results in... No recognised username or account.

I can't speak to GeeeTech via Aliexpress as I would have to buy something to raise a complaint but only about that product... So it would mean buying another stitchup, I mean quality product. Still, its part of the fun I guess.

carl_m1968 wrote:

The chip stores the program in the flash which is in the atmel chip.

Was wondering what if any Arduino type GUIs exist as some of the videos I have watched on the development board have people using different environments because they play with other dev boards too. I vaguely recall someone reading an atmel chip and can't remeber how, it it was hardware like they desoldered the chip or had a reader made out of another arduino... any wisdom is appreciated.

As I said you can save, not read the file from the chip but only as a BIN and it cannot be edited. This can be done through a JTAG port if the board is equipped with one or through removing the chip and placing it on a programming module with the correct adapter and algorithms to read the chip. Arduino can only deal with files that are not compiled. As you flash the sketch as they call it to the chip it gets compiled. Once compiled Arduino can do nothing else with it. It cannot de-compile.

You most likely are seeing videos of people dealing with their own code they are writing and loading to the chip. In that case they have the compile and de-compile software to deal with THEIR file.

However there are literally hundreds of ways to compile a file and unless you know exactly how it is done it is very hard to de-compile. They do this so it deters copying and reverse engineering. It won't prevent it but because the effort to de-compile another persons code is so great most won't bother.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

I bought the geeetech meCreator printer a couple of years back. Though I am very happy with it, it did arrive with some broken parts. They did not want to replace the physically damaged power supply. When I suggested I would be happy to return the whole thing and buy a printer from another company that comes with an undamaged power supply, they suddenly became much more responsive and service oriented.

8 (edited by Tin Falcon 2018-06-28 22:57:00)

Info for you board

User manual for your board

https://www.geeetech.com/Documents/User … GT2560.pdf

There link to arduino IDE

http://www.geeetech.com/wiki/index.php/Download

Open source marlin code
http://www.geeetech.com/wiki/images/3/3 … lin_v1.zip

Page 16 has links to applicable drivers.  Sometimes you gust need good goodlefoo.

There is no need to reverse engineer anything if the company provides the source code.

Hope this info helps !!!

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed

9 (edited by Tin Falcon 2018-06-28 22:56:00)

The arduino is old 1.5.8 but sometimes older is better IIRC most folks use v1.6.7 anything newer causes issues especially when using older led displays.

Carl: there is no magic in this board simply Marlin compiled with arduino.

installing the proper drivers for the specific board will most likely correct the "no COM port" issue.

I had to manually make Win7 Pro, 64 bit install the correct driver for one of my kit printers.. it did not want to do it saying it already had an appropriate version, when it did not.

Just guessing here, but thinking Linux is not so overbearing as to install the wrong drivers automatically.

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

heartless wrote:

installing the proper drivers for the specific board will most likely correct the "no COM port" issue.

I had to manually make Win7 Pro, 64 bit install the correct driver for one of my kit printers.. it did not want to do it saying it already had an appropriate version, when it did not.

Just guessing here, but thinking Linux is not so overbearing as to install the wrong drivers automatically.

I spoke too bl**dy soon.

ADVISORY TO ANY MX Linux user.

DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT update your MX17 Horizon (64 Bit) installs... It has an issue with breaking things. Arduino still works though.

Sound stopped working as did many programs and WINE which I do need for some things that you just can't get in Linux.

On with the reply....

Yes, COM ports and COM ports, Windows 7 is a pain, well all windows are a pain...

I am going to retry inserting the USB in to the PC since I resolved the SMBus error that I was getting and the PC was much happier thereafter...

SO when I get a chance this evening, I will play with it and see what happens.

I did find something of interest and one set of Marlin instructions appear to be directed at restoring the EEPROM, so this means what exactly, I can only assume that is it the program has space for settings in the EEPROM along with those currently in use.

So does flashing the SRAM have no effect on the FLASH ram side of the chip? Anyone know?

I found the command to send when I can connect to update the G Code, Mega chip what do you call it? So that the thing will know that I have T8 and not M8 lead screws.

Which is what the main point of backing up and re-flashing the ram was about, if that makes things work, then I will consider it job done and move on to building a second control system from scratch as a backup system incase the first board fails, which I expect it will at some point...

Tin Falcon wrote:

Info for you board

User manual for your board

https://www.geeetech.com/Documents/User … GT2560.pdf

There link to arduino IDE

http://www.geeetech.com/wiki/index.php/Download

Open source marlin code
http://www.geeetech.com/wiki/images/3/3 … lin_v1.zip

Page 16 has links to applicable drivers.  Sometimes you gust need good goodlefoo.

There is no need to reverse engineer anything if the company provides the source code.

Hope this info helps !!!

Everything helps.

Sometimes it is hard to see the wood for the trees and threads like these often provide a wealth of knowledge that can be useful, consolidated in to a thread of its own and stickied as a way of signposting people.

I am attempting to produce a PDF that catalogues the changes I have made to my printer.

Not trying to reinvent the wheel but I think that I can do a better job of the build in mechanical and the pixie wrangling stuff.

(If you have ever watched AvE then you knows what I means)

Why are you trying to make things harder than they need to be?
Tin Falcon gave you links to everything you need - including a location for the needed driver.

Download the driver, and manually install it. You should then be able to connect the printer and it should show up as a COM port. You do not need to get complicated here.

If you are going to replace the board, then yeah, you will need to compile and flash firmware to a new board using the Arduino IDE, but to simply use what is already there, you do not. And contrary to popular belief, the correct drivers sometimes do NOT automatically install.

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

The root cause of the windows can not connect to the board is lack of driver to The Intel® Chipset as suggested by SMBus error. The windows system need to install driver for the motherboard before it can use advance mode of the USB port, wifi, camera, sd card reader, etc. You can download the driver for the motherboard on the vendor website of your computer or vendor of the motherboard. And then you need to USB to Com port driver that Tin mentioned.

(Da Vinci 1.0, Jr. 1.0 RAMPS, miniMaker) X4, (Creality CR-10S, CR-10 mini, Ender-3) X4, Anycubic MEGA X4, Anycubic Chrion X1, ADMILAB Gantry X2 (MonoPrice Maker Select V2, Plus, Ultimate)X4--Select mini X1, Anycubic photon X4, Wanhao duplicate D7 X1.
iNSTONE Inventor Pro X2, CTC Dual X2, ANET-A8, Hictop 3DP-11, Solidoodle Press, FLSUN I3 2017X1

heartless wrote:

Why are you trying to make things harder than they need to be?
Tin Falcon gave you links to everything you need - including a location for the needed driver.

Download the driver, and manually install it. You should then be able to connect the printer and it should show up as a COM port. You do not need to get complicated here.

If you are going to replace the board, then yeah, you will need to compile and flash firmware to a new board using the Arduino IDE, but to simply use what is already there, you do not. And contrary to popular belief, the correct drivers sometimes do NOT automatically install.

I have gone to those links, got the firmware needed,whilst following links I discovered something that resolves the main problem I have with the change in the design of the printer.

The other issue over the replacement boards is that this replacement is a backup that I will have built out of components.

I haven't made anything harder, I am just preparing all software needed.

16 (edited by Tin Falcon 2018-06-29 21:51:56)

the only broad failure i have experienced was my own fault .  I was straightening a pin on an end stop and apparently fried the com port on the board.  Other than that printing for 4 years  with 4 printers no issues. That said I do have several 2560 board as spares and a couple of ramps. as backups.as well as a dozen spare drivers.

Still not reading this board...

I removed the Arduino I had installed and put an earlier version on that was downloaded from the GeeeTech site.

I also installed the USB 3.0 drivers from Gigabyte as well...

Still no COM ports.

So I'm currently catching me coconut.

I also installed the USB 3.0 drivers from Gigabyte as well...

Why  ??  IMHO you are a glutton for punishment.

USB 3.0 is the latest protocol the connections are a little different.
The boards you are dealing with are  usb 2 to the best of my knowledge .
Change one thing at a time when troubleshooting a problem.

I removed the Arduino I had installed and put an earlier version on that was downloaded from the GeeeTech site.

This statement is a bit confusing. Did you swap  physical boards or simply reload FIRMWARE

Also what Arduio IDE version are you using  you may be trying to compile old firmware with a new IDE not the best idea.

So I'm currently catching me coconut.

and not to picky but Do you not mean "So I'm currently scratching me coconut."

19 (edited by Tin Falcon 2018-06-30 13:17:35)

This may be a silly question  but do you know from testing that the cable you are using is good this may be the first place to look.

Yes I have tried troubleshooting the problem, left the system to find drivers by itself and the find itself program seemed to have got lost and fell asleep.

Currently I am having more success with Linux than anything windows related, however, a recent update has caused some operational issues like WINE no longer works despite reinstalling it, uninstalling it and reinstalling it all with reboots in between.

I have managed to get much of the software on the Windows machine to work just fine, although it is a pain in the rear troubleshooting this USB COM Port problem.

I Have stumbled on a USB FTDI driver, so I will be installing that as it is in a folder related to GeeTech and Arduino and FTDI problems...

I was able to slice a part and generate the G Code needed, I shall need to insert the following command

M92 Z400
M500

into the G Code output so that the printer is then set up properly.

As I have some issues with ports and connectivity, given that this printer has an SD Card for printing files from SD Card, the most convenient way of making sure that the printer is set up is to print from the SD Card.

So I need to have inserted the command to tell the printer its got T8's and not M8's in place.

Has anyone printed from SD Card and how do you set up the SD Card?

What files do I need to put on the card?

Tin Falcon wrote:

This may be a silly question  but do you know from testing that the cable you are using is good this may be the first place to look.

Yes, the cable is working, when it is p[lugged in, Windows ack's it with the sound it makes when its detected a USB device.
The cable is powering the board just fine.

Its the computer.

And I am looking at installing yet another USB driver.

The main reason for the USB 3.0 is because I have an external disc that is USB3, so it made sense to resolve that trouble in devices.

you need driver for Intel® Chipset, it is for your windows computer motherboard, without that, your usb port can only perform limited functions.

(Da Vinci 1.0, Jr. 1.0 RAMPS, miniMaker) X4, (Creality CR-10S, CR-10 mini, Ender-3) X4, Anycubic MEGA X4, Anycubic Chrion X1, ADMILAB Gantry X2 (MonoPrice Maker Select V2, Plus, Ultimate)X4--Select mini X1, Anycubic photon X4, Wanhao duplicate D7 X1.
iNSTONE Inventor Pro X2, CTC Dual X2, ANET-A8, Hictop 3DP-11, Solidoodle Press, FLSUN I3 2017X1

yizhou.he wrote:

you need driver for Intel® Chipset, it is for your windows computer motherboard, without that, your usb port can only perform limited functions.

You mean Windoze has advanced features..?

24 (edited by Tin Falcon 2018-06-30 16:06:24)

Mark try this wiki it seems to have all the info you could possibly need.

http://www.geeetech.com/wiki/index.php/GT2560

Software info about half down the page.

There is this info on the Geetech forum

http://www.geeetech.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18251

mark.giblin wrote:

You mean Windoze has advanced features..?

Without driver for intel chipset, only USB device that will work is USB keyboard and USB mouse. All other USB device support are considered advanced features.