Re: Da Vinci 1.0 Azteeg x5 WiFi Build

The rods and lead screw would be the best upgrades. Also the guide rods for the x and y axis can be an issue I had on eon my 1.0 that was bent.

If you home your bed and move the Head over the platform you can rotate the rods by hand and the head will rise and fall a bit if those rods are bent.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

carl_m1968 wrote:

The rods and lead screw would be the best upgrades. Also the guide rods for the x and y axis can be an issue I had on eon my 1.0 that was bent.

If you home your bed and move the Head over the platform you can rotate the rods by hand and the head will rise and fall a bit if those rods are bent.

The rods are they a normal size that you can just buy and replace? Or would it be more involved

Da Vinci 1.0 Azteeg x5 mini WiFi running Smoothieware, e3d v6.

evanboothe wrote:
carl_m1968 wrote:

The rods are they a normal size that you can just buy and replace? Or would it be more involved

They will need to be cut down. They are not a normal length. They will also need a groove cut at each end for a snap ring that holds them in place.

carl_m1968 wrote:
evanboothe wrote:
carl_m1968 wrote:

They will need to be cut down. They are not a normal length. They will also need a groove cut at each end for a snap ring that holds them in place.

That’s easy enough, what OD are the rods do you know off the top of your head?? Also what makes the stock ones so crappy? Is it the material there made of?

carl_m1968 wrote:
evanboothe wrote:
carl_m1968 wrote:

That’s easy enough, what OD are the rods do you know off the top of your head?? Also what makes the stock ones so crappy? Is it the material there made of?

I want to say they are 8mm.. Its just the metal they are made from and the lack of hardening.

carl_m1968 wrote:

I want to say they are 8mm.. Its just the metal they are made from and the lack of hardening.

Good brand? Or place to buy.

evanboothe wrote:
carl_m1968 wrote:

Good brand? Or place to buy.

Honestly I do not remember where I got mine from. I had my 1.0 like 5 years ago. Just make sure it is hardened or at the very least case hardened.

259 (edited by evanboothe 2018-09-20 02:22:51)

So I turned down my max alpha and beta max speed settings, as well as the default feed rate and seek rate values are these the correct values I should be editing for acceleration? I tried a print after adjusting, things seem slower but I am still having fast movements when the part calls for bolt hole circles.. they are layered out in 4 corners and the head moves to fast to lay down the circles and pretty much rips the filament it just layed down and then the next step doesn’t lay right because it has to re purge the nozzle pretty much

Also, is there a way to lower temp for first layer and then bring temp up after that??

evanboothe wrote:

So I turned down my max alpha and beta max speed settings, as well as the default feed rate and seek rate values are these the correct values I should be editing for acceleration? I tried a print after adjusting, things seem slower but I am still having fast movements when the part calls for bolt hole circles.. they are layered out in 4 corners and the head moves to fast to lay down the circles and pretty much rips the filament it just layed down and then the next step doesn’t lay right because it has to re purge the nozzle pretty much

Also, is there a way to lower temp for first layer and then bring temp up after that??

Whatever you changed in firmware needs to be changed back. The firmware sets the max speed that the host can request. In other words It is Repetier that is trying to do things too fast. Reduce the speed for inner perimeters by half. In fact reduce all the speeds by half and see what happens. If it is better then raise them till you get desired appearance versus speed. Could be that the mechanics as they are now are going to need slower speeds.

As for the temp, you would actually want the opposite. The first layer and maybe second should be the hottest. However in Repetier there is no support for such a function. To my knowledge only Simplify3D supports temp changes by layer. To do what you want with what you have, you would need to go in and manually edit the gcode to change the temp before you sent it to the printer.

I adjusted speeds and have the print running ok. First few layers lay down great. The part I’m printing is a piece for the printer so I am doing a 100 percent infill for strength. 240c extruder 70c on the bed. Like I said the first 8-9 layers do fine and then all of a sudden the part starts to curl off the bed. Like warp. Is the bed to hot? The rest of the part ends up great!

http://soliforum.com/i/?cKGwJCp.jpghttp://soliforum.com/i/?VQTfPbd.jpg

What are you using for adhesion? If you are using the stock glass you will need Hairspray like Aquanet. Just a thin mist over it and it will stick like mad while hot. You can try Kapton, just a small piece to match the area of your part.

carl_m1968 wrote:

What are you using for adhesion? If you are using the stock glass you will need Hairspray like Aquanet. Just a thin mist over it and it will stick like mad while hot. You can try Kapton, just a small piece to match the area of your part.

I’m using blue painters tape and I know this will sound silly but I put a thin layer of maple syrup on top the tape. It sticks really good that’s why I don’t understand why the part is warping. My calibration cubes haven’t warped and I have printed 4 of them with the same method. Only difference is that the infill on the cube is 2 percent and the infill on the actual part I’m printing is 100 percent

A thicker part will be more prone to warping as the outside will cool faster than the inside. You could try having a fan blow across the bed during the print. Painters tape is only really good for PLA. The issue is even with he tape and syrup (chuckle) the tap will still pull up. With Hairspray on bare glass there is nothing to pull up and most prints I have done stick great. Only really large parts covering most of the bed still tend to warp. I also use 65 on my bed.

carl_m1968 wrote:

A thicker part will be more prone to warping as the outside will cool faster than the inside. You could try having a fan blow across the bed during the print. Painters tape is only really good for PLA. The issue is even with he tape and syrup (chuckle) the tap will still pull up. With Hairspray on bare glass there is nothing to pull up and most prints I have done stick great. Only really large parts covering most of the bed still tend to warp. I also use 65 on my bed.

Ok I will try no tape and I’ll keep the syrup for my pancakes from now on...

This part is only 20mm same as the cal cube Idk why it would warp.

I did notice my glass was moving due to the hold downs not being able to tighten enough, so I spaced them and got the glass tight. I also noticed there is a lot of play In the beds right side bearings... is there a link anywhere to a part to stiffen the bearings?

evanboothe wrote:
carl_m1968 wrote:

I did notice my glass was moving due to the hold downs not being able to tighten enough, so I spaced them and got the glass tight. I also noticed there is a lot of play In the beds right side bearings... is there a link anywhere to a part to stiffen the bearings?

Mine had play as well. I just wedged a thin strip of metal I think It was actually an exacto blade in then broke it off and glued it in place.

carl_m1968 wrote:
evanboothe wrote:
carl_m1968 wrote:

Okay I’ll figure something out. What kind of hair spray do I get?

Mine had play as well. I just wedged a thin strip of metal I think It was actually an exacto blade in then broke it off and glued it in place.

Aquanet is cheap and it works. One can will last for years.

carl_m1968 wrote:

Aquanet is cheap and it works. One can will last for years.

Is there a rule of thumb on how tight you should tension the belts?

Tight enough they can twang a bit. But really due to the way the are secured in most case it is very hard to get them tight. As long as they are not slipping over the teeth they are fine.

carl_m1968 wrote:

Tight enough they can twang a bit. But really due to the way the are secured in most case it is very hard to get them tight. As long as they are not slipping over the teeth they are fine.

So if there not slipping it can’t cause quality print lose at all

carl_m1968 wrote:

So if there not slipping it can’t cause any type of print quality lose at all?

evanboothe wrote:
carl_m1968 wrote:

As long as you can't move them over the teeth by hand and they feel tight when pressed on they will be fine. on the 1.0 the biggest issues are loose pulleys, and the bearing housing for the rods that run horizontal in the top that the belts drive. Those housings are known to crack.

carl_m1968 wrote:
evanboothe wrote:
carl_m1968 wrote:

As long as you can't move them over the teeth by hand and they feel tight when pressed on they will be fine. on the 1.0 the biggest issues are loose pulleys, and the bearing housing for the rods that run horizontal in the top that the belts drive. Those housings are known to crack.

I’ll tske a video later but my x axis belt seems pretty loose to me.. I shimmed the bed on the bearings (right side) still have quit abit of play in the bed it’s coming from the two outter rods on the z axis the top right pillow block that the rod sits in has slop in it. I’m printing new pillow blocks tonight. That’s what I printer this morning the part that warped.

http://soliforum.com/i/?d35YcB2.jpg

Hairspray worked great, changed filament parts are looking great. I do have a little stringing with this filament but I think I just need to bump my speed up a bit