Topic: What software for jr 1.0

Hello all. Brand new here to 3d printing and have some questions.

I currently use solidworks and sketchup pro for my  modeling software.

I purchased a davinci jr 1.0 from a friend about 8 months ago and I have never used it because I didn't know how and I didn't know any modeling stuff at the time haha.

So here is my questions, I have no idea how old my printer is nor do I know what software it needs to take my solidworks or sketchup files and adjust them, rotate them, set quality and then print said part.

Today in class was my first time even looking at  3d printer print and I got a glimpse of the software it used. It was nice, it said how much it weighed, how long it would take to print on balanced, draft or normal modes, allowed rotating the part on the printer bed etc etc

I just want this to be close to wht I saw in class

Thanks

Re: What software for jr 1.0

lt72884 wrote:

Hello all. Brand new here to 3d printing and have some questions.

I currently use solidworks and sketchup pro for my  modeling software.

I purchased a davinci jr 1.0 from a friend about 8 months ago and I have never used it because I didn't know how and I didn't know any modeling stuff at the time haha.

So here is my questions, I have no idea how old my printer is nor do I know what software it needs to take my solidworks or sketchup files and adjust them, rotate them, set quality and then print said part.

Today in class was my first time even looking at  3d printer print and I got a glimpse of the software it used. It was nice, it said how much it weighed, how long it would take to print on balanced, draft or normal modes, allowed rotating the part on the printer bed etc etc

I just want this to be close to wht I saw in class

Thanks

On that printer unless you do extensive mods you are limited to the stock software you can download from XYZ website. Then that software is picky about file format and size. In either case you need to get your file from your modeling software into an STL file. That can then be imported into the printers software.

Based on your description it sounds like you where watching a Makerbot and it to uses it's own software. Not bad software as you witnessed. But it will only work for a Makerbot. In short you will not get near the experience with that printer compared to the one you where watching. Also the one you where watching is a $2500 machine so of course the software will be much better. Yours will work but it will not be a grand experience and you will get frustrated at times.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

Oh man... i feel hoodwinked haha. So they have the firmware locked preventing me from using other software? That bites.

Yes it is a makerbot and we have 4 of them and I want one haha.

So was it a bad move buying this printer of mine? I want a good experience and have fun as well as print good products:)

Thanks

So what about slic3r software? Then import that into xyzware? Or how bout cura or am I just making up stuff again haha, that tends to happen

The printer is OK, it does what it needs to do but is prone to have jams. The software is garbage but you are stuck with it. There is thread talking about a program called 3dubber that allows you to use other slicers then export the file to the XYZ software.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

Update. I got the printer working. The newest version of xyzware pro allows gcode  from slic3f and cura now. It also has a gcode  editor built in. You can now control temps, speeds and have two options now for fill type

The plane xyzware newest version has same options minus gcode  editor.  I can actually control the temp of my machine. The only downfall, I can't see what default temp it is at  or can I see what mm/s is for fast, standard, normal and good are haha.

Two things with the printer, I get a lot of webbing and sometimes the spool makes a thud sound. My extruder is getting to 210c so the machine says. Could be that the bed needs to be leveled which if it is like a milling machine, I can use paper to see if nozzles is to close or not.

But the webbing does bug me. Parts done on normal, look thin and whispy, probably because of speed maybe??

Thanks.

Hello.  Not sure about the other settings, but I seem to remember in the notes on the latest firmware update that the fast setting is new and is set for 100mm/s.  Mine makes the thud sound sometimes too.  It means that the feeder for the filament is slipping and can be caused by multiple issues:  feeder gears need cleaning (using provided brush), partial clog in the extruder or the extruder head is too close to the print bed. 

On my JR, I found that I've had to change the Z offset a bit to minimize the slippage (default was 1.25, I set mine to 1.5).  This is too wide using the paper test, but prints come out fine.  I suspect that my bed needs adjustment as it was likely knocked a bit out of calibration when I was removing a large stuck on print.

Odd that you only see 2 options for fill type, in the advanced settings I have a whole slew of options ranging from hollow, 10%, 15% etc up to 90%.

Thanks for reply. Fill type as in honeycomb or rectilinear.

100mm/s is fast, no wonder my part looked crappy haha. It was 3dbenchy and part of the bow of the boat collapsed on itself. It printed in 45 minutes with 0.4thick layers.

Is 210 good for temp?

Thanks for the tips, my goal is to print good quality but somewhat fast. Good to me means it can have some flaws.

I have been thinking  of using slic3r and then importing it into xyzware pro so that at least header info is correct and reflects the correct info for the part such as time and how much material

I can never find their documentation or manuals for any of xyz software. Where is it found at? Thanks again