Topic: Filament not loading Jr. Pro 1.0

Hey everyone,

I was printing earlier just fine, but my machine seems to have stopped working right. I only have been using it for 3 months, and pretty lightly.

I was using a 0.3 mm nozzle, tried loading both 3rd party and XYZ filament and neither come out the nozzle
I tried using a 0.4 mm nozzle that came with the machine, but it still didn't work.

I can load filament into the feeding tube, and it moves along to the printhead. However, it just stops after that. I tried uncoupling the print head and forcing it through by hand thinking maybe there was a clog. Still nothing. I took apart the 0.3 mm nozzle and I couldn't see a clog or anything wrong with it. The gears in the feeding tube don't appear to be clogged up either.

Any thoughts as to why I can't load filament?

Re: Filament not loading Jr. Pro 1.0

Many possibilities. It is very difficult to diagnosis with simple description, picture or video will be much more helpful.

2 quick check, 1. does the hotend heat up? you can not push filament through hotend if the hotend temperature is below 180C. 2. If you are using PLA, check if your hotend fan is working well.

It usually easier to diagnosis if you unscrew the hose connector on top of the hotend and push filament in from there. Then you can tell issue is with the hotend or with the PFTE tube/extruder.

(Da Vinci 1.0, Jr. 1.0 RAMPS, miniMaker) X4, (Creality CR-10S, CR-10 mini, Ender-3) X4, Anycubic MEGA X4, Anycubic Chrion X1, ADMILAB Gantry X2 (MonoPrice Maker Select V2, Plus, Ultimate)X4--Select mini X1, Anycubic photon X4, Wanhao duplicate D7 X1.
iNSTONE Inventor Pro X2, CTC Dual X2, ANET-A8, Hictop 3DP-11, Solidoodle Press, FLSUN I3 2017X1

3 (edited by GoldenAvenger 2018-04-16 18:54:00)

I found some photos online that I can use to better explain until I get home and take some. The nozzle is definitely hot and when I touch the end of my filament to the tip it does melt. The fan is working and runs fine.

I can feed filament through the top part just fine. It passes through the small black conical section (see arrow), and into the metal parts. The second photo shows the metal parts I'm talking about (ignore the green stuff, this was an issue with someone else's machine), the filament will feed into the nut and into the metal tube but stops a little ways into it.

Now I would have thought it was clogged, but it happens with both extruders. 2 completely different extruders are doing the same thing. I've bypassed the feeding tube completely and tried feeding the filament right into the extruder forcefully but no luck. I heated up the metal parts (away from the circuit board) with a lighter and tried unclogging any filament stuck in there, but still nothing.

http://soliforum.com/i/?COrIKMN.jpg
http://soliforum.com/i/?xmDkCJN.jpg

GoldenAvenger wrote:

I found some photos online that I can use to better explain until I get home and take some. The nozzle is definitely hot and when I touch the end of my filament to the tip it does melt. The fan is working and runs fine.

I can feed filament through the top part just fine. It passes through the small black conical section (see arrow), and into the metal parts. The second photo shows the metal parts I'm talking about (ignore the green stuff, this was an issue with someone else's machine), the filament will feed into the nut and into the metal tube but stops a little ways into it.

Now I would have thought it was clogged, but it happens with both extruders. 2 completely different extruders are doing the same thing. I've bypassed the feeding tube completely and tried feeding the filament right into the extruder forcefully but no luck. I heated up the metal parts (away from the circuit board) with a lighter and tried unclogging any filament stuck in there, but still nothing.

http://soliforum.com/i/?COrIKMN.jpg
http://soliforum.com/i/?xmDkCJN.jpg

Have you changed the filament type? Or is it still the same type? If you can get in to the feed throat and passed the nut then your issue is a clog. You can try the atomic pull to clear it. You can Google that one as I have never had success with it and the proper timing. You can also just separate the metal parts as you did wit the lighter but use a torch as you need it hot enough incinerate the old material in the hotend.

I ask about the filament change because some people use ABS and then try to go to PLA. ABS has a higher temp and you need to load the PLA at the ABS temp and run a few meters through at the ABS temp to purge all the remaining ABS other wise it will clog at PLA temps which are too low to melt ABS.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

5 (edited by GoldenAvenger 2018-04-16 19:23:56)

Always have used PLA in the machine. In that metal part I had a photo of, is there anything in there that could be damaged by heating it up? I wasn't sure if there was a PTFE tube that I am going to melt. It just seems strange it's happening in both of the extruders. I haven't used the .4mm in months and it was working great last time I used it, the 0.3mm is what I mainly use now.

As a matter of fact, the hotend is the major cause of problem for Da vinci jr. serial printer, so I would not be surprise if both of your hotend is jamed. There is a PTFE tube in the throat that can be damaged by high temperature. Luckily it is not super expensive.

Your problem are mostly likely be temporary fixed by replace the PTFE tube inside of the throat, but my experience is this will happen again sooner or later. I think replace your hotend fan with 40mm 12V ball bearing fan that have CFM>8 can reduce the chance of jamming.

Also as Carl mentioned, run a few meters through between filament changes, different brand/color filament have different filling material to make it colorful, mixing them sometimes create plastics that have higher melting temperature.

(Da Vinci 1.0, Jr. 1.0 RAMPS, miniMaker) X4, (Creality CR-10S, CR-10 mini, Ender-3) X4, Anycubic MEGA X4, Anycubic Chrion X1, ADMILAB Gantry X2 (MonoPrice Maker Select V2, Plus, Ultimate)X4--Select mini X1, Anycubic photon X4, Wanhao duplicate D7 X1.
iNSTONE Inventor Pro X2, CTC Dual X2, ANET-A8, Hictop 3DP-11, Solidoodle Press, FLSUN I3 2017X1

7 (edited by GoldenAvenger 2018-04-17 02:37:55)

I will definitely try these. I'm pretty sure I ruined the PTFE tube in there. Amazon has bailed me out and they're sending me out a new printer that should come in Wednesday. I would like to take some extra precautions and make sure this won't happen again. I have a few questions:

So here's a link to the printer I have: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MU … &psc=1 , it's the Jr. 1.0 Pro.

The fan that you recommended, do I just unplug the existing fan and replace it with the new one? Do I need to make any other changes to the power supply or anything?

Is there a specific fan that you recommend?

Also, what's the difference in that fan vs. the one that comes with it (pic below)

What are some other modifications to the printer that help prevent issues from occurring?

What 3rd party filament do you recommend to use?

http://soliforum.com/i/?Tf0u8Qv.jpg

So update:

Just got off a video call with XYZ support. I know they have a reputation for not being very helpful, but they were very kind and easy to work with. I was able to further break down the extruder and the PTFE tube in the nozzle was completely blocked. In addition, the motor appears to be damaged in the printer that loads filament. Thankfully Amazon has replaced the printer. As for replacing the fans, there is a black piece of plastic that hangs off the 0.4 mm extruder that came with the printer. I was advised to use that part (which apparently is a duct) on the 0.3 mm as well.

So anyone who sees this in the future, you may have a damaged motor or a blocked PTFE tube inside the hotend.