Topic: Clear tinted ABS?

I've done some web searching.  Does anyone sell such a thing?  I found clear non colored ABS.
I'm looking for red and amber tinted clear ABS 1.75mm filament.

Dave
3D printer - Monoprice Maker Ultimate with mods-
microswiss hot end, Bondtech extruder, twin cooling fans & ducts, insulated heater block, enclosed with Lexan like the Wanhao D6 it is based on.

Re: Clear tinted ABS?

Dave455 wrote:

I've done some web searching.  Does anyone sell such a thing?  I found clear non colored ABS.
I'm looking for red and amber tinted clear ABS 1.75mm filament.

ABS is not clear by nature. If you want clear you would need to go with a material like PETG or PC.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

try searching for "transparent".  Ive seen it on amazon before

Sd4 #9080 with a glass bed. E3d chimera duel extruder. Paste extruder , duet wifi.
Lawsy carriages. linear bearings. Y axis direct drive, Kinect scanner
SD4#8188 glass bed, lawsly carriages, E3d v6, octoprint http://www.ustream.tv/channel/hotrod96z28
Filastruder/filawinder, Custom Delta 300mm x 600mm

Ah, ok.  PETG looks good.
Thank you!

Dave
microswiss hot end, Bondtech extruder, twin cooling fans & ducts, insulated heater block, enclosed with Lexan like the Wanhao D6 it is based on.

Or maybe not.  The parts need to be outdoors, full sunlight.  It's been hard to find anyone specifying how well it survives outdoors.

Dave

6 (edited by carl_m1968 2018-03-12 17:04:08)

You might be thinking of PLA. It is biodegradable. PETG can handle being outside. Unless you use additional UV stabilizers no plastic part is good for long term exposure.

I'm trying to figure out what type of plastic to use to make lenses for lights, like turn signals, marker lights. 

Are the UV stabilizers something that is added / part of the filament, or applied after the part is made?

I'm getting the idea that I am ahead of where things are in the entry level printed parts world...

Dave

Dave455 wrote:

I'm trying to figure out what type of plastic to use to make lenses for lights, like turn signals, marker lights. 

Are the UV stabilizers something that is added / part of the filament, or applied after the part is made?

I'm getting the idea that I am ahead of where things are in the entry level printed parts world...

UV stabilizers and inhibitors are adding when the filament is being made. As for your purpose PETG would be fine. However the layers will be very pronounced regardless of size if used as a lens. In short it would be ugly. Even SLA would require polishing for lens or filter application.

I have a spool of clear ABS, and have printed a few things with it.  It seems to have thermal properties consistent with other colors of ABS, and looks pretty good when printed. 

Do not confuse 'clear' with 'transparent'.  The transmittance of light through it varies with print temps, and the thickness and contours of the object printed.  For objects of substantial size, 'translucent' would be a better adjective...smaller objects are clearer.

-Kevin

10 (edited by Barret Zhang 2018-05-15 01:47:58)

ABS material is not clear in natural. The appearance is about ivory white. There has special type of abs material, the natural is clear, the short name is MBS. Meanwhile, you could have a trial with petg or pc, both are transparent in natural.

Professial 3D Printing Filament Manufacturer
www.ecoreprap.com