Re: Abandoned 3D trying to get working

http://soliforum.com/i/?YBjgaNa.jpg

I need to get a better caliper and or versed in this other old machinist caliper I have.  I am happy that I actually got plastic to flow. The first one I did actually looks the best in my estimation. I had the temp at 240. I dropped it to 235 the next four objects. Probably raise it back up. I raised the temp because the extruder was chipping the feed wire. On the pic, left to right is how they were made plus I did a "Bearing_Block_608Z_22mm_x_7mm_hole_8mm". Everything seems to be half height and the plastic too thin. Just happy that it is partially working. really do not know what I have in the way of nozzle.

When you open an object the sli3r config I'll assume now that determines the fill and not the object file. (Me talking to myself).

Anybody know why I am only getting half the height? Since I picked this up second hand I do not have the specs on the extruder nozzle. My guess is the nozzle is smaller than what I am telling the config. is. I think I have it at .5mm. Actually remember the lead used in my mechanical pencils I'm thinking it is more like .3mm.

One other concern I have is that when I start the print the extruder travels to home first. For some unknown reason to me it travels to the right and clicks the stop (the LED comes on) but it continues to try to go right, eventually stops, backs off then hits it again and then lowers to the bed. Then goes to print.

Hey Tin, I liked reading that Simplify 3D. Helpful for explaining the errors although I have to fine a non-simplify3D solution.

Enough printing tonight or should I say scribbling. Thank you all for your help.

Hey Tin, I liked reading that Simplify 3D. Helpful for explaining the errors although I have to fine a non-simplify3D solution.

Like i said no need to use simplify 3d to make use of that site.
go into your slicer settings and then advanced mode that will give lots of control
the important one is the top one extrusion width this should  be set to 0.48

Poke around the slicer settings and if in doubt use the defaults.

Also make various profiles but make sure the on you change is the one selected in the slicer section of  RH DAMHIKT   

The only down side is your old machinist calipers measure inches. So unless you wan to learn the vernier system(not a bad thing to know) and then convert to mm probably best going to harbor freight and paying the $15 -$20 for an electronic set.

One other concern I have is that when I start the print the extruder travels to home first. For some unknown reason to me it travels to the right and clicks the stop (the LED comes on) but it continues to try to go right, eventually stops, backs off then hits it again and then lowers to the bed. Then goes to print.

This is fairly normal for that machine  and can be controlled with g code.

the hitting the stop backing off then re homing is normal. but it sound like your one end stop need some adjusting one it hits the end stop it should stop not try to move more.
I set ith end stop on the left hand side of my machine. it is a kit biuild and seems to work better that way.

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

tebera.david wrote:

I need to get a better caliper and or versed in this other old machinist caliper I have.  I am happy that I actually got plastic to flow. The first one I did actually looks the best in my estimation. I had the temp at 240. I dropped it to 235 the next four objects. Probably raise it back up. I raised the temp because the extruder was chipping the feed wire. On the pic, left to right is how they were made plus I did a "Bearing_Block_608Z_22mm_x_7mm_hole_8mm". Everything seems to be half height and the plastic too thin. Just happy that it is partially working. really do not know what I have in the way of nozzle.

When you open an object the sli3r config I'll assume now that determines the fill and not the object file. (Me talking to myself).

Anybody know why I am only getting half the height? Since I picked this up second hand I do not have the specs on the extruder nozzle. My guess is the nozzle is smaller than what I am telling the config. is. I think I have it at .5mm. Actually remember the lead used in my mechanical pencils I'm thinking it is more like .3mm.

Enough printing tonight or should I say scribbling. Thank you all for your help.

I think you have under-extrusion issue. Since you only getting half the height, I would suspect your step/mm setting is incorrect in your firmware/epprom setting. You can set this using gcode or using LCD panel.

for LCD panel:
Depend on what firmware you are using, usually it is in settings-motion-step/mm, try double your z-axis and extruder step/mm and see if it improves. You can google model of your machine for a good start number and calibrate/fine tune after that.

For g-code:
http://marlinfw.org/docs/gcode/M092.html

For the extruder traveling direction, post assambled machine picture first so that our left and your left is in same page. if the direction is inverted, you can also change it in firmware.

(Da Vinci 1.0, Jr. 1.0 RAMPS, miniMaker) X4, (Creality CR-10S, CR-10 mini, Ender-3) X4, Anycubic MEGA X4, Anycubic Chrion X1, ADMILAB Gantry X2 (MonoPrice Maker Select V2, Plus, Ultimate)X4--Select mini X1, Anycubic photon X4, Wanhao duplicate D7 X1.
iNSTONE Inventor Pro X2, CTC Dual X2, ANET-A8, Hictop 3DP-11, Solidoodle Press, FLSUN I3 2017X1

It would also help to know what speed you are trying to print at as well.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

30 (edited by bushy 2018-03-05 06:55:41)

The size of the nozzle should be stamped in the side of it. It needs to mach your setting or you'll never get it set up. If you tell it its a .5  and it is a .4 you'll get grinding. Its trying to put more out then will fit the tip. That would explain why the hottest one looks better. Reset your slicer to .4 and see what it looks like. I could be wrong but I think the .4 is the most common.

Yes check your extruder steps  extrude 50 mm as measured on the filament if it only moves 25 you have a problem alo jog  your z and see how far that moves as well.

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed

Bushy,

I cannot find anything written on the nozzle. It probably is there I just having trouble seing anything written. I measured the OD of the nozzle. It is 5 MM. I measured the thickest extruded plastic. It is about 2.5 to 3 mm.  I will try setting it up with a 2.5 mm and see what happens with the height.

Carl,

I tried the speed that came with the software and then reduced the speed by 50% and 25% with no real increase in value/quality. At last look I thing I have 30 mm/s.

Tin,

Since the cube is measuring correctly length and width I'd assume that the extrusion thickness is to blame.

YiZhou,

The model of my machine was/is the million dollar questions for a newb like me. Besides the Arduino  there is no other writings except for an enscribed chihuahua head above "opensource hardware". Given that it is a "chihuahua" it just might mean that it has a very small nozzle.

On another note my friend just said he got a 3D printer. Nope but close, I helped him unpack it. It was on back order for a year, he bought himself a Glowforge. So cool. But I think most of you could just make the same out of a 3D printer and a laser.

My guess is this guy, or clone of reprap prusa_i3. The frame is slightly different, but the hotend and print bed design are identical.

http://reprap.org/wiki/Prusa_i3_Rework_Introduction

http://reprap.org/mediawiki/images/c/c2/Visuel_Prusa_i3_Rework.png

(Da Vinci 1.0, Jr. 1.0 RAMPS, miniMaker) X4, (Creality CR-10S, CR-10 mini, Ender-3) X4, Anycubic MEGA X4, Anycubic Chrion X1, ADMILAB Gantry X2 (MonoPrice Maker Select V2, Plus, Ultimate)X4--Select mini X1, Anycubic photon X4, Wanhao duplicate D7 X1.
iNSTONE Inventor Pro X2, CTC Dual X2, ANET-A8, Hictop 3DP-11, Solidoodle Press, FLSUN I3 2017X1

Yes it is based off of that. I actually talked to a reprap tech in Europe who got me started. It is definitely different in the details. Here is a somewhat blurry pic of the nozzle. I put an SD card there for size.

http://soliforum.com/i/?q5PxWt4.jpg

The nozzle is unlike every nozzle I find while searching images with Google. It appears to be made in a square block unlike the ones you screw in.

36 (edited by yizhou.he 2018-03-05 22:35:44)

It doesn't matter what size nozzle it is, you can replace with 0.4mm nozzle and it is very cheap even on amazon. 0.4 mm nozzle is the most useful nozzle size anyway. Smaller nozzle size improve resolution at cost of huge increase in printing time. (You might want to try it after your printer is up and running for a long time but not for now.) In the worse case, you buy an direct drive E3D clone to replace later (unless you are big fan of authentic E3D hotend, which will cost around $70-100, E3D clone cost less than $10 and work well for all my 3D printer). I think you should ignore the nozzle issue for now and get step/mm calibrated first.

I have tried to print on 0.4mm nozzle and set nozzle size to 0.3 mm and 0.25 mm in slicer, it print just fine when layer height is set to <0.2mm. The overall quality is slightly less detail but definitely much better than what you have right now.

So if you suspect nozzle size is smaller than 0.4 mm, try lower the nozzle size in slicer, if you nozzle is smaller than 0.4 mm, this should fix the problem, otherwise, it should not make much difference and suggest the step/mm for extrusion is wrong and need to calibrate. I would suggest you start with the step/mm setting for reprap prusa i3 for extruder and further fine tune base on the print results.

37 (edited by Tin Falcon 2018-03-06 00:40:57)

seems odd that block and nozzle would be integrated.

Tin,

Since the cube is measuring correctly length and width I'd assume that the extrusion thickness is to blame.

well partially but not entirely. if your z steps were correct then you should have something of the correct height.
but if only z steps were the problem i would thing you would have signs of overextrusion.

yizhou.he wrote:

It doesn't matter what size nozzle it is, you can replace with 0.4mm nozzle and it is very cheap even on amazon. 0.4 mm nozzle is the most useful nozzle size anyway. Smaller nozzle size improve resolution at cost of huge increase in printing time. (You might want to try it after your printer is up and running for a long time but not for now.) In the worse case, you buy an direct drive E3D clone to replace later (unless you are big fan of authentic E3D hotend, which will cost around $70-100, E3D clone cost less than $10 and work well for all my 3D printer). I think you should ignore the nozzle issue for now and get step/mm calibrated first.

I have tried to print on 0.4mm nozzle and set nozzle size to 0.3 mm and 0.25 mm in slicer, it print just fine when layer height is set to <0.2mm. The overall quality is slightly less detail but definitely much better than what you have right now.

So if you suspect nozzle size is smaller than 0.4 mm, try lower the nozzle size in slicer, if you nozzle is smaller than 0.4 mm, this should fix the problem, otherwise, it should not make much difference and suggest the step/mm for extrusion is wrong and need to calibrate. I would suggest you start with the step/mm setting for reprap prusa i3 for extruder and further fine tune base on the print results.

yizhou.he - Please stop giving bad advice. What you are advising is just wrong - on so many levels. It is painfully obvious you do not know nearly as much as you think you do. roll

From the looks of his setup, he can not just "replace it" with a cheap amazon nozzle - of any size. It looks to me like he would have to replace the whole hotend for something more mainstream in design.

tebera.david - the OD of the nozzle is of little consequence here - it is the ID that matters. That is what you need to try to find out.

The correct steps/mm for the extruder is also of major consequence. How much/how fast the filament is being fed in has a direct correlation to how much is coming out. getting that properly calibrated, along with finding out the actual nozzle diameter will go a long ways in helping you figure this thing out.

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

you can pick up a pack of micro drill bits like this https://www.amazon.com/Mixed-Print-Circ … &psc=1 and see if one fits your nozzle. be very careful not to force it so you dont mess it up. if you have a decent digital caliper you can hold it with it open and the depth gage extended touching the side of the extruder carriage. then tell it to move towards the caliper around 100mm and see how far it actually pushes in the depth gage on the caliper. thatll get you close enough to tweak it from actual print sizes. for your extruder steps. first you want the hot end out of the way so when the filament feeds it isnt pushing on anything. measure a 100mm length on the up stream side of the filament and mark it with a sharpie. tell it to extrude 100mm. then after its done extruding. measure the actual length it moved. from that number the math is easy to adjust your esteps. once you get those set correctly. you want to start with a calibration cube. 1 bottom layer, 1 perimeter wall, 0 infill and 0 top layers. print it. measure the wall. then adjust your extrusion multiplier accordingly. may take a few tries to get right

Sd4 #9080 with a glass bed. E3d chimera duel extruder. Paste extruder , duet wifi.
Lawsy carriages. linear bearings. Y axis direct drive, Kinect scanner
SD4#8188 glass bed, lawsly carriages, E3d v6, octoprint http://www.ustream.tv/channel/hotrod96z28
Filastruder/filawinder, Custom Delta 300mm x 600mm

40 (edited by n2ri 2018-03-06 18:13:45)

never saw a nozzle with extended spout like that before.
is it partially clogged starving extrusions?

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

41 (edited by yizhou.he 2018-03-06 19:56:42)

OK, I'm going to ignore the personal attack and keep offering my thoughts or advice. The image is blurry and information is limited, so don't take my word for it. If you think my suggestion is cheap and with minimal risk, feel free to try. Otherwise just ignore it.

I think what you called square block nozzle is heat block fused with nozzle, like Da vinci jr hotend.  If you see heating element and themostor wire came out of it, it's most likely heat block fused with nozzle. You can replace the heatblock-nozzle with standard heatblock+nozzle if the thread of the throat is M6. They are about $1-2 each and I usually buy multipack in case I can use on other machine. Also keep in mind that you need to heat nozzle to >180C before unscrew the heat block and nozzle from throat. Use tools and be careful don't get burned.

https://www.amazon.com/Zomiee-Extruder- … dpSrc=srch

Make sure you take out and keep the heating element and themostor in case you are unable to modify firmware. They are fixed with small screw and should be easy to identify after take out the kapton tape. It is recommended even if you want to replace the hotend with direct drive E3D clone unless you are confident you have access to firmware.

If you want your printer to work correctly with the least amount of headaches dont go CHEAP like suggested. With clones you get what you pay for, some people just dont mind the inferior quality. You definitely want a good hotend to keep the amount of possible weak links in the system to a minimum

Sd4 #9080 with a glass bed. E3d chimera duel extruder. Paste extruder , duet wifi.
Lawsy carriages. linear bearings. Y axis direct drive, Kinect scanner
SD4#8188 glass bed, lawsly carriages, E3d v6, octoprint http://www.ustream.tv/channel/hotrod96z28
Filastruder/filawinder, Custom Delta 300mm x 600mm

I have e3d hot ends on two of my machines  i agrees with

Kronikabuse get the real ones if you can afford it it will save in the long run.

yizhou.he wrote:

OK, I'm going to ignore the personal attack and keep offering my thoughts or advice.

My comment was not an "attack" on you - it was a plea to PLEASE, STOP GIVING BAD ADVICE!
roll
roll
roll
roll
I think someone needs to go back to the Facebook Groups they like so much.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have to agree with Kronikabuse - do NOT buy cheap junk. It will just end up frustrating you in the end. Yes, a genuine E3D costs more, but it is worth every penny. I have them on ALL of my printers and very, VERY rarely have a problem with clogging, or anything else for that matter - and I swap materials constantly. If anyone was going to have problems, it would be me - with the constant material swaps.

I go from ABS, to TPU, back to ABS, then PLA, might do a little Nylon in there somewhere - all in the same week... so yeah - if there were going to be problems, I would be the one having them.
Thing is - I don't have problems with my E3D hotends - any of them. I have 3 of the V6's, a lite 6 and a Volcano. They all just work. Period. End of discussion.
The only time I have ever had problems it was specifically material related - a bad spot in a spool (have had this happen a few times), or just a bad spool in general.

There are people here that will give good advice, and a few that give not so good advice. Learn to differentiate between the two and you will be much better off in the long run.

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

For a point four nozzle try .48 for your extrusion width.  Once you get your extrusion E-steps dialed in you can play with that a bit.  I always use .48 for mine though.       You will know you have your e-steps dialed in when you can set your flow rate to 100 and play around with the extrusion width to achieve various finishes.

One thing to remember about 3D printing,  is no one person is right.   We all have unique points of view and we all have different ways of approaching things.    Some people like to be right all the time and demand that others follow their advice and ONLY their advice.   Can't stand that sort of person.    Hopefully we don't have anyone like this in this group because I really do not want to have to get nasty.     I mean I have industrial printing experience going back to the early days,  technical degrees and patents but I never FORCE my opinion or ideas on anyone...   

In fact I came here because I was hoping to learn some new tricks.  smile

That said,  have fun and experiment.   What works for you may not work for us.   There are no "right" answers or exclusive tricks.  If it works and gives good results,  go with it.

"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

1. I'm here to share my thoughts and experiences. I have no experience with genuine E3D, therefore I have no idea what the benefit it will provide over the clone. I never trying to stop people buy genuine E3D, I just want people to know if they don't want to spend that 7000-10000 penny, what the other choice is. 

2. I'm still primary on facebook group, only post here occasionally. People do give bad advice on facebook group too. It usually trigger long and healthy discussion, and many people learned a lot from the discussion. So I personally don't want to discourage other people give bad advice, otherwise there will soon be no advice from anyone anymore.

3. Thing is - I don't have problems with my E3D clone - any of them. I have 8 of the V6's. They all just work. I do admit the longest one I have is only 10 months, and I can not promise it will not give me problem in the near future, but I'm pretty happy about the quality of the prints and how long they last so far. As matter of fact, I think layer cooling fan, bed adhesion and extrusion control have more impact on the print quality for me rather than the hotend itself. 

4. I do understand some people want the best of everything on their printer, lots of people like that on facebook too. But before you get a 3D printer up and running and calibrated, there are many mistake you can make to damage your hotend during the process, nozzle scratch over the not perfectly leveled print bed, hotend overheat due to bad fan or themostats issue, accidental break the wire for heating element or themostat. The risk is usually higher in people that don't have much experience with 3D printer. If I would upgrade to genuine E3D one day, I will wait until the printer stably print well on E3D clone for a while and then upgrade.

For someone who only posts here occasionally you have an awful lot of posts.

And I'd be very leary of taking advice from anyone who spends time hacking Davinci machines.   They are close to the worst machine ever built,  I mistakenly drank the sales hype and bought three of them to start my business.

Hacking and tweaking is different than starting from zero with zero experience like the OP is doing.    I admire his/her spirit starting with a broken machine and getting it rolling again.    The fact that it's come this far is amazing.

In fact I was thinking of inviting the OP to our secret cult where we train people to become the absolute flipping BEST that they can be.  No pretense,  no grandstanding Davinci JR drivers and no juiced up Select Mini hackers.      Only by learning from the best can one become the best.

To do that you need professionals,  you need experts and you need people who just want to help.

I think I'll do just that!

"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

48 (edited by pirvan 2018-03-08 01:03:49)

I'm pretty sure I'll get flamed for this, but this wouldn't be the first time, so here it goes.

Sr. Reaping_Engineer wrote:

For someone who only posts here occasionally you have an awful lot of posts.

And I'd be very leary of taking advice from anyone who spends time hacking Davinci machines.   They are close to the worst machine ever built...

For someone who's been here for only 2 days you certainly have taken some of us to task and told us how less than useful our input is, because of the crappy 3D printers we've been hacking.

Sr. Reaping_Engineer wrote:

In fact I was thinking of inviting the OP to our secret cult where we train people to become the absolute flipping BEST that they can be.  No pretense,  no grandstanding Davinci JR drivers and no juiced up Select Mini hackers.      Only by learning from the best can one become the best.

To do that you need professionals,  you need experts and you need people who just want to help.

I think I'll do just that!

I know I don't speak for anyone else, but with an attitude like the one that permeates your statement, I doubt that I'm interested in joining your secret cult of professionals.

To print or, 3D print, that is the question...
SD3 printer w/too many mods,  Printrbot Simple Maker Ed.,  FormLabs Form 1+
AnyCubic Photon, Shining 3D EinScan-S & Atlas 3D scanners...
...and too much time on my hands.

Word travels, see.   I heard things about a certain person through my various contacts throughout the communities.     What I dislike is when a person declares themselves king of the roost.  Queen bee.    Know-er of All The Things.

I do not claim to know everything no do I feel the need to chime in on every discussion, like a certain member here is doing,  has done across multiple communities elsewhere and will continue to do so until we get him to dial it back.

No one wants to silence anyone else,  far from it.    Just tone it down.   Make less effort to speak up on EVERY subject like an authority.

I honestly can't stand people like that,  most people cannot stand people like that.

I speak only on things I know,  that I can cite sources on, or back up with other sources of information.   And if someone has a better idea I listen.   

This was not a decision I undertook lightly,  as I actually dislike confrontation.    But this person "yizhou.he" is a goddamn nuisance and gives 3D Printing Experts a bad name.

This hobby is too young for people to establish themselves as end-all-be-all experts and rule the roost.

yizhou.he wrote:

the "size dosnt matter" thing dont work here now for years. I used a 0.35 due to that rez idea and was shown by a long time expert here that his 0.6 nozzle was way faster and couldnt see difference in rez from mine on N scale vehicle print 1/160 scale. nozzles are rarely ever the issue/fix on 3D printing problems

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs