Topic: Video: Are Aldi 3D printers noob friendly?

Hi guys,

Just picked a 'Cocoon Create Touch' (aka Wanhao i3 Plus) from Aldi for $500. Did a video from the point of view of a general consumer in a general supermarket. Printer is quite good.

Re: Video: Are Aldi 3D printers noob friendly?

Very nice job. Now this is how you review a printer. Not just spouting second hand opinions. bravo

Sd4 #9080 with a glass bed. E3d chimera duel extruder. Paste extruder , duet wifi.
Lawsy carriages. linear bearings. Y axis direct drive, Kinect scanner
SD4#8188 glass bed, lawsly carriages, E3d v6, octoprint http://www.ustream.tv/channel/hotrod96z28
Filastruder/filawinder, Custom Delta 300mm x 600mm

3 (edited by yizhou.he 2018-02-03 17:33:33)

Cocoon Create Touch is rebrand of Wanhao i3 Plus, it is basically same machine as MonoPrice Maker Select Plus. However, Cocoon Create Touch, Wanhao i3 Plus, and MonoPrice Maker Select Plus use different firmware, make the easiness of use slightly different. However you can flash any of the firmware to each other and there is opensource firmware based on higher version of Marlin available:
https://silverquark.github.io/i3PlusPlu … tions.html

I have two MonoPrice Maker Select Plus, use MonoPrice Maker Select Plus firmware and opensource i3plus firmware and did not experience the filament load issue the above video mentioned, so it is more likely due to Cocoon Create Touch firmware. This machine is 24V system, the heating of hotend and print bed is fast. The assembly of machine takes about 5-10 minutes. Print with ABS in cold weather will have layer spiting issue without case, which can be overcome by adding card board box or IKEA Lack Printer Enclosure
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1843235

This machine is very noisy and the frame shakes hard when nozzle move back and forth at high speed. It is possible to reduce motor current to reduce the motor noise on this machine, but you get layer shift almost for sure on y-axis if the step motor don't make noise. I have to replace y-axis motor with better one on both of them to achieve silent printing without layer shift. The step motor come with vibration damper, but the frame still shake hard when print in relative high speed (>40mm/s), z-brace mod is highly recommended to reduce the vibration.

Although the printer frame shakes hard, the printing quality is very good, the layer is almost invisible at 0.2mm layer height unless reflect in light or zoomed in under camera. Many people experience big wave along z-axis because the screw that fix x-axis and y-axis rod are loose during the shipment. It is the case on both of my printer and there are instruction on the website how to tighten them.

Many people have trouble leveling the bed because the menual did not highlight the importance of squaring the dual z-axis. Even worse, the Y-axis carriage plate is very thin, and many people damaged or warped the Y-axis carriage plate while struggling with bed leveling before they realize the importance of squaring the dual z-axis. It is recommended to upgrade the y-axis carriage plate.

There are potential safety issue with early batch of this printer, but both of my MonoPrice Maker Select Plus come with the issue solved. It is still worth to check out if it is fixed in your version.
https://3dprinterwiki.info/wanhao-i3-safety-notice-bed/

The touch screen are easy to use but also limit the number of settings that you can change, including speed, acceleration, jerk, etc. You can still change them by connect to computer through USB and send gcode command.

You can find more information on the wiki site:
https://3dprinterwiki.info/wanhao-duplicator-i3-plus/

MonoPrice Maker Select Plus list price is $399, and will be $299 when it is on sale. You can also choose to buy from ebay shop, which is $279. It is a very good printer in terms of printing quality. It is noisy, and have many small issue that can be fixed relative easily.

(Da Vinci 1.0, Jr. 1.0 RAMPS, miniMaker) X4, (Creality CR-10S, CR-10 mini, Ender-3) X4, Anycubic MEGA X4, Anycubic Chrion X1, ADMILAB Gantry X2 (MonoPrice Maker Select V2, Plus, Ultimate)X4--Select mini X1, Anycubic photon X4, Wanhao duplicate D7 X1.
iNSTONE Inventor Pro X2, CTC Dual X2, ANET-A8, Hictop 3DP-11, Solidoodle Press, FLSUN I3 2017X1

I can confirm that this one came with the fibrous washers and hence no safety concern.

lawsy that guy just likes to be right and get the last word in on ever post. he also loves to post printer reviews on printers he has no experience with

Sd4 #9080 with a glass bed. E3d chimera duel extruder. Paste extruder , duet wifi.
Lawsy carriages. linear bearings. Y axis direct drive, Kinect scanner
SD4#8188 glass bed, lawsly carriages, E3d v6, octoprint http://www.ustream.tv/channel/hotrod96z28
Filastruder/filawinder, Custom Delta 300mm x 600mm

In fairness Mr He does own a MP select. Although by his own admission he rarely uses it HMM.

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

7 (edited by carl_m1968 2018-02-04 01:21:26)

I don't think it so much that he wants to get the last word in, but more to the point he wants to get the exact word in. After having a few post battles with him myself I think he feels that our and others GENERAL information is not sufficient and he feels he needs to supply more COMPLETE information. Not really taking his or anyone's side her, i just think I might understand his train of thought now.

Sorry to derail the thread. But on topic, I don't have a lot of faith in machine that have this simple frame. I feel there are torsional forces in a 3D printer that such a frame is poor at dampening. BTW not to nitpick but the title of the thread and the title of the video or well not matching. One says Aldi and one says Aldo. Looks like Lawsy might have big fingers... smile

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

Haha fixed the 'Aldo'. Typos are the bane of my existence.

Tin Falcon wrote:

In fairness Mr He does own a MP select. Although by his own admission he rarely uses it HMM.

I do have MonoPrice select mini, MonoPrice Maker Select V2 and MonoPrice Maker Select Plus. MonoPrice select mini is my first 3D printer, it is noisy and small, but I learned a lot from it. I believe many of you have special memory with your first 3D printer, so do I. I'm very emotional person, I want to collect whole set of MonoPrice 3D printer, it don't have to be functional, as long as I can get it back to work with reasonable effort. My next target is MonoPrice Maker ultimate, it doesn't show up on sale for part on ebay very frequent.

All my MonoPrice 3D printer are in good working condition now, the reason I rarely use them because they are all noisy. I did all the mod and lubrication, fine tuned motor current and replaced the ball bearing silent fan, reduced speed acceleration jerk and put it in a case, still get about 10dB over background from 2 meters away (max noise, not average).  My RAMPS converted Jr. get 2-3dB over the background from 2 meters away (max noise, not average) under the same test condition, almost not noticeable. So I use my Jr. most of the time, especially for overnight printing.

I think it is fair to say different people tolerant noise differently. So the frame vibration as carl mentioned is the actual common concern for most people. The vibration does not affect print quality much in my case (it should in theory), but my MonoPrice Maker Select Plus have almost all mod to reduce the noise and vibration. I think it is more fair to follow lawsy's review for open box experience before order it and my version of review helps when in trouble. (Some issue I did not experience on my machine but many people in facebook group have due to lack of experience. )

(Da Vinci 1.0, Jr. 1.0 RAMPS, miniMaker) X4, (Creality CR-10S, CR-10 mini, Ender-3) X4, Anycubic MEGA X4, Anycubic Chrion X1, ADMILAB Gantry X2 (MonoPrice Maker Select V2, Plus, Ultimate)X4--Select mini X1, Anycubic photon X4, Wanhao duplicate D7 X1.
iNSTONE Inventor Pro X2, CTC Dual X2, ANET-A8, Hictop 3DP-11, Solidoodle Press, FLSUN I3 2017X1

10 (edited by yizhou.he 2018-02-06 18:03:51)

MonoPrice Maker Select Plus list price is $399, and it is on sale now for $299 plus free shipping. Need coupon code SELPLUS, it should work until the end of the month — February 28th. If you prefer to buy brand new from offical site, this is good chance.

https://all3dp.com/deal-monoprice-maker-select-plus/