Topic: Glass bed clamshell chip

Da - Vinci Ai0s last night I printed a part, this morning it was complete and the bed had completely cooled, normally this releases the part easily, but this morning it was well stuck, I managed to insert a blade under the corner and seperated the part, however, an area of the glass bed lifted with the part, perhaps half a millimetre thick and about 1/2" round, the glass was still firmly attached to the part (I eventually cleaned it off with a diamond file) but this leaves me an area of the heated glass bed with a clamshell chip missing, I will try and avoid printing on that area, two questions, is the glass fixed to the heater matrix, and how easy is it to replace it?
Thanks

2 (edited by yizhou.he 2018-02-02 19:29:02)

Re: Glass bed clamshell chip

It is easy to just glue back that broken piece and put another piece of glass bed on top of that. I use double sided tape in between, other people likes to use paper clip to immobilize the top glass. adjustment in z-offset or start-gcode is needed to compensate the extra height.

It is possible to remove the old broken piece of glass after heat up, but it will not be easy. bed heat up may be slightly slower after addition of another glass, it is recommended to preheat the heated bed in advance before start printing.

(Da Vinci 1.0, Jr. 1.0 RAMPS, miniMaker) X4, (Creality CR-10S, CR-10 mini, Ender-3) X4, Anycubic MEGA X4, Anycubic Chrion X1, ADMILAB Gantry X2 (MonoPrice Maker Select V2, Plus, Ultimate)X4--Select mini X1, Anycubic photon X4, Wanhao duplicate D7 X1.
iNSTONE Inventor Pro X2, CTC Dual X2, ANET-A8, Hictop 3DP-11, Solidoodle Press, FLSUN I3 2017X1

When my 1.0 bed cracked which is similar to the AiO, all I did was buy and have cut a 6mm thick piece of tempered glass to the same dimensions as the stock glass at the local glass shop. I then placed the new glass over the old glass using the existing clamps. The screws are long enough. All you have to do then is in your start gcode is add an additional 6mm to your z offset. It added about ten minutes to my heating time but due to the added thickness the bed temp was more stable once reached. You will no longer be able to use the auto calibration feature but then you should not be using it anyways as it is faulty and does not take into account your desired layer thickness.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

Thanks for that, I have ordered a new bed, but I will also order and add some tempered glass to the existing bed as a spare. as I am sure its going to happen again.

If the new bed are stock print bed, this is likely to happen again. The stock print bed is not glass, it is some kind of plastic or organic glass, it stick to ABS and PLA better than we want it to be. I would recommend add the tempered glass on top of the new bed to protect the new bed (Assuming the tempered glass is lot cheaper than the replacement print bed).

(Da Vinci 1.0, Jr. 1.0 RAMPS, miniMaker) X4, (Creality CR-10S, CR-10 mini, Ender-3) X4, Anycubic MEGA X4, Anycubic Chrion X1, ADMILAB Gantry X2 (MonoPrice Maker Select V2, Plus, Ultimate)X4--Select mini X1, Anycubic photon X4, Wanhao duplicate D7 X1.
iNSTONE Inventor Pro X2, CTC Dual X2, ANET-A8, Hictop 3DP-11, Solidoodle Press, FLSUN I3 2017X1

thanks for that, to get the bed height correct I am thinking that before removing the old one, I will set the printer on a test print and than as if adjusting the nozzle to bed height, I will stop the printer, move the nozzle out of the way, then replace the bed, adjusting the new bed as if setting the nozzle height with a piece of paper. this should get the bed at approximately the correct height before I  run the printer, the machine will then be set to do another test print, and the adjustment repeated with the bed hot.

yizhou.he wrote:

If the new bed are stock print bed, this is likely to happen again. The stock print bed is not glass, it is some kind of plastic or organic glass, it stick to ABS and PLA better than we want it to be. I would recommend add the tempered glass on top of the new bed to protect the new bed (Assuming the tempered glass is lot cheaper than the replacement print bed).

The one on my 1.0 was real glass. So not sure when they changed. My 1.0 was actually the 30th one they made based on the serial number. The bed on mine cracked in 6 different directions. But since the heater was still intact I just put a piece of tempered glass as said over it and called it a day. It did raise the heating time by 6 minutes but for me time is not an issue since I do other things while the printer is doing it's thing.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

8 (edited by Grendel 2018-02-08 08:49:53)

carl_m1968 wrote:

The one on my 1.0 was real glass. So not sure when they changed. My 1.0 was actually the 30th one they made based on the serial number. The bed on mine cracked in 6 different directions. But since the heater was still intact I just put a piece of tempered glass as said over it and called it a day. It did raise the heating time by 6 minutes but for me time is not an issue since I do other things while the printer is doing it's thing.

This is what I am planning to do with mine, I have found a source for borosilicate glass in 3mm, but cut to size (210 x 210) its £26 - half the cost of a new bed, they do have some ready cut pieces 200 x 213 for £10, so I am going to check to see if this will fit so that I can put it on the old bed as a spare. I may get 2 pieces to give me another for when this new bed cracks.
The way this has clamshelled and cracked, my old bed is also real glass (as I used to work in the double glazing industry I should know) that and I had to use a diamond file to remove the chips from the print I had done (it was still well attached).
the only thing I wondered was whether to bed the new glass to the old with an ABS slurry, or maybe use some thermal paste between the two?

UPS tried to deliver the new bed to me yesterday while I was at work, then dropped it off at one of their local pickup centres (a newsagents), I was lucky, when I checked their opening times I was able to pick it up on the way to work at 6 am (he had been open since 5.15am this morning). upon checking the package two of the mounting posts were slightly out of alignment, but they bent back to shape quite easily. looking forward to fitting this tonight.

3 bed screws, two screw terminals for the heater cables, 1 small plug and 2 connections to the bed, tightened the bed down a lot tighter than it should be, then did a paper calibration. almost perfect, test piece worked - one fixed printer - next to see if we can repair the old bed as a spare..

It is not good idea to have the bed spring too tight. You will have bed leveling issue in the furture. Try compensate the increase in bed height with z-offset or raise the z-axis endstop.

no it was just tight to give extra clearance until I could set it back to the correct height for the nozzle.

Having measured the bed, I can go with the cheaper 200 x 213mm glass, I lose 10mm off the width of the bed, but there is a little leeway for the extra 3mm between the screw fixings on the length (at a pinch I could diamond file a nick to clear the screw threads)

13 (edited by Grendel 2018-02-09 08:15:40)

some pictures
(for those who may be interested if you reverse the image you can see the manufacturer and part number for the bed heater)

http://soliforum.com/i/?tIdKCs6.jpg

http://soliforum.com/i/?CH1jxFy.jpg

http://soliforum.com/i/?uSMVayp.jpg

http://soliforum.com/i/?EPvwAMd.jpg