Topic: making obsolete parts for machines

My day job is working for a small print shop (the 2d kind). We print business cards, invoice books, flyers, banners, postcards, and a variety of other things...

We recently had an order for some "record books" for farmers to track livestock, machinery and other items related to running a farm. These books were to be bound with the "cloth" spines - basically a strip of cloth impregnated with glue that holds the book together.

We have a special, small machine for doing these - old, but still very functional - for the most part. The book is placed in a slot at the top of the machine, a binding strip is fed in from the side, it is then heated and pressed around the spine of the book.

As it turns out, the rubber wheel that pulls the binding strip in had deteriorated to the point that it was not pulling the strips in straight anymore, and causing more problems than actually finishing books.

Boss ordered what he thought was a replacement wheel for it... what arrived was not the same, and after a phone conversation, it was determined that we would have to spend several hundred dollars to "upgrade" other parts to make the new wheel work in this machine. Not really a justifiable expense for the infrequency of use - not to mention that we needed to get these books finished and out the door in a matter of a couple of days.

After looking at it carefully, I suggested that I could 3d print a piece in TPU to replace the rotten rubber of the old wheel... I was taken up on the offer. Boss figured we had nothing to lose in trying.

So I brought the old part home that night, made some careful measurements, modeled the part, and printed it out. Took the printed piece and the original part back to work the next morning and handed to the boss. After looking it over, he made the call of cutting the old rubber part off, pressing the new TPU part on, and putting it back in the machine.

We honestly had no idea if the TPU was going to hold up in use - it does get pretty hot inside that machine and apparently some TPU has very low temp thresh holds (this from a materials friend of mine) - but after getting it installed, a few "test" books were run and it appeared it was going to work. A few minor adjustments to get the binder strip to align correctly on the book, and we were off and running.

750 books later, I am pleased to say the TPU part is holding up very nicely. the picture of it in the machine was after finishing the books - it looks just as good after as it did before.

The specific brand of TPU I used is Sainsmart, in grey.

Boss was so pleased, he ordered 2 more to have on hand, LOL (and yes, I was paid for this)

Post's attachments

book binder wheel 1a.jpg
book binder wheel 1a.jpg 127.92 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

book binder wheel old 1.jpg
book binder wheel old 1.jpg 96.91 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

book binder wheel old 2.jpg
book binder wheel old 2.jpg 91.72 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.
SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

Re: making obsolete parts for machines

Good job! 

Your modeling job looks quite accurate to the original, and your print quality is very good.  I like it when people find practical uses for 3D printing. 

What printer did you use?

I've had good luck with NinjaFlex TPU as well.  TPU is chemical and petroleum resistant, and has held up well for me in automotive applications.

-Kevin

3 (edited by yizhou.he 2018-02-01 15:31:30)

If heat resistance is an issue, or TPU is not soft enough, you can 3d print a mold and generate the part with silicon gel. You can find silicon gel resistant to extreme hot or extreme cold temperature, and different strength or softness or flexibility. But I don't think it is necessary in this case, the TPU seems to be good enough.

(Da Vinci 1.0, Jr. 1.0 RAMPS, miniMaker) X4, (Creality CR-10S, CR-10 mini, Ender-3) X4, Anycubic MEGA X4, Anycubic Chrion X1, ADMILAB Gantry X2 (MonoPrice Maker Select V2, Plus, Ultimate)X4--Select mini X1, Anycubic photon X4, Wanhao duplicate D7 X1.
iNSTONE Inventor Pro X2, CTC Dual X2, ANET-A8, Hictop 3DP-11, Solidoodle Press, FLSUN I3 2017X1

knowack wrote:

Good job! 

Your modeling job looks quite accurate to the original, and your print quality is very good.  I like it when people find practical uses for 3D printing. 

What printer did you use?

I've had good luck with NinjaFlex TPU as well.  TPU is chemical and petroleum resistant, and has held up well for me in automotive applications.

-Kevin

Thank you. smile

The printer used was my favorite - the first SD4 we got years ago, at a 0.2963 layer height (which I use for almost everything, lol)

I bought the Sainsmart because a customer wanted certain parts in a grey TPU and it was the only grey I found readily available at a relatively decent price - it was just pure luck that it is holding up very well in this application.

Getting accurate measurements of the old part was the hardest part of the whole exercise... had to be very careful not to squish it at all. The rubber had deteriorated so much that it was basically mush.

As for "practical" uses of 3d printing - I have done several things that are very practical... repaired an articulating lamp, made a new mount for our hand-held shower head, and a few other odds & ends.

Also made a new hand roller for at work... we use it for creasing and making sure the edges are mashed down really well when doing banner hems.. made that well over a year ago and it is still in regular use now.

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

so many of my projects are to repair things, new feet for stools, a dashboard holder for my sat nav, new change wheels for my lathe to give me different thread pitches., a box to hold the speed controller on the lathe, any number of things, as well as 1/12 scale fittings for a model boat.

I have printed spacers we use for when we can't find a fan with exact same dimensions at my job. I have printed dust cover caps for RF connectors at my job. Part holders and so on. Printed a piece to fix my kitchen drawer as well. I am also printing parts for projects that I could never buy anywhere.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

my parts aren't really obsolete but I make some hard to find replacement parts for some specific machines

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2788638
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1754897
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2044611

...since this is the print showoff thread

My first print project was a handle for a space saver Microwave. I had my Solidoodle 2 about 2 weeks it was only a few days before Christmas when My wife came to me and said we had to get a new microwave because the handle broke. I pulled the handle off and glued it together I heard  her say you are not putting that back on their. I told her I would print one. So i drew it up printed it and we are still using the microwave 4 years later.

Ultimaker S3.

sdtag wrote:

my parts aren't really obsolete but I make some hard to find replacement parts for some specific machines

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2788638
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1754897
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2044611

...since this is the print showoff thread

Those are pretty good!  I like seeing practical uses for 3D printers.  The world has enough fidget spinners.

-Kevin