Topic: Extruder fan question

I have gone through 4 extruder fans in the last year.
My Makerbot uses 24v 40X40X10 fans so I ordered 2 ball bearing
fans from Jameco to try.
Which is better ball bearing or sleeve.
which is quieter and which will last the longest

The cheep $5 fans from china just do not cut the mustard.

Thanks
Dale

Ultimaker S3.

Re: Extruder fan question

I use ball bearing, I think it is quieter but more powerful. This is what I got, but it is 12V, you need to find 24V version. the CFM number indicate how powerful it is (bigger is better) and the dB-A indicate how quiet it is (lower is better).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CS … &psc=1

8.67CFM @6500RMP (max.) 29dB-A
12V DC Voltage, 0.15A Current
2-pin XH-2.5 Fan Connector with 20cm+/-0.5 (8 inches) Cable
40x40x28mm,Weight only 27g/pcs
2 pcs Ball bearings With Long Fan Life Expectancy

(Da Vinci 1.0, Jr. 1.0 RAMPS, miniMaker) X4, (Creality CR-10S, CR-10 mini, Ender-3) X4, Anycubic MEGA X4, Anycubic Chrion X1, ADMILAB Gantry X2 (MonoPrice Maker Select V2, Plus, Ultimate)X4--Select mini X1, Anycubic photon X4, Wanhao duplicate D7 X1.
iNSTONE Inventor Pro X2, CTC Dual X2, ANET-A8, Hictop 3DP-11, Solidoodle Press, FLSUN I3 2017X1

Ball bearing is better. Sleeve will always die or seize up after a short time. All it is, is a brass sleeve that is lubricated the fan shaft rides in. After a while the lube dries out and the fan dies. My SLA printer had a sleeve bearing fan on the UV array that seized up after 12 hours of use. Cost me a new UV array as well since it allowed the array to over heat. Always go with bearing regardless of the cost. They will last much longer and offset the cost.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

4 (edited by dubbsd 2018-01-13 21:53:28)

I know what you mean Carl about 2 months ago one of the fans quit and
not only did it cause problems with the hotend but the Mosfet burned out on the board. lucky
I had an old board to pull one off.

Ultimaker S3.