1 (edited by me.morris12 2018-01-12 19:12:52)

Topic: Can't connect to the Atlas3D scanner

I hope someone can help me get the scanner working.  I have printed all my parts and assembled the scanner.  Mostly went well.  I've used the Raspberry Pi original model B I have but have had to buy a new camera for it so it's the version 2 8MP.  I have tried to get access to the scanner using all three methods outlined in the document 'Instructions+-+Kit+Enclosure-1.pdf'  downloaded from this forum.  Briefly the results I get are:

1:  With a USB Flash drive there are no flashing lasers or file written to the drive.  The drive is till empty viewed on Window 10.

2:  Without a USB flash drive I can power up and login (as before), startx, and access the web browser, input address http://127.0.0.1/ and get 'Oops! Not possible to show this website'

3:  Command line follow instructions and extract the IP address - 192.168.1.246.  Start FireFox (57.0.4) I either get 'connection timed out' if RPi is off or 'Unable to connect' if RPi is powered up.

4:  Using wired Ethernet and PuTTY at port 22 and the IP address extracted at 3: above I get 'Connection timed out'

5:  If I login in and startx and go to the web browser and type 'localhost' into the address bar I get 'Not possible to show this website'.

Other comments:
I'm using the 2015-05-01-atlas3d.img image file.  It appears to work but did throw a verification error using Win32DiskImager at location 8192.  I've tried to download it to the SD card again but with same result.
The WiFi is working.  I can access google and YouTube.
The version 2 8MP camera is causing the OS to report an error 'could not create component' and exception 'Error opening camera'.  I may be wrong but I don't expect this to stop accessing the scanner.
Although I've used Windows for years I'm a RPi newbie.

I'm at my wits end and there's not a lot of hair left so any help will be gratefully received.

2 (edited by knowack 2018-01-12 22:06:32)

Re: Can't connect to the Atlas3D scanner

Be sure that the FreeLSS software is running.  If it's not starting automatically, try starting it manually. ($ sudo ./freelss)

I use Chrome to access my Atlas3D from a Win7 computer.  Can't remember why, but it's what I stuck with.

I've got a Pi2 inside my Atlas3D.  I recall there's a Pi firmware update required for the 8mp camera to work.

From the command prompt, can you ping localhost?  (use "CTL + C" to halt)

Can you startx, then run Chromium from the desktop to view the FreeLSS page from the Atlad3D itself?

Thank you for your assistance Knowac.  I've tried to see if Freelss is running using the ps command: it appears that it is not.  Running sudo ./freelss returns command not found.  (Is the '.' correct though it makes no difference with or without).
changing directory down through folders ' 'freelss/config/' and lists file freelss.  Running sudo freelss now returns

Creating video mode camera resolution=1280x960
mmal: mmal_vccomponent_create: failed to create component 'vc.ril.camera' (1:ENOMEN)
mmal: mmal_component_creat_core: could not create component 'vc.ril.camera' (1)
Failed to create camera componentopen Failed to create camera component/home/pi/raspicam-0.1.3/src/private/private_impl.cpp 102
Exception: Error opening camera

Running ps reveals that Freelss is still not running.
It is now midnight so time for rest.

4 (edited by knowack 2018-01-13 04:23:39)

If you connect a monitor to your Atlas3D and watch it boot up, the last line should read:

Running on port 80...

If you don't see this, FreeLSS hasn't started.

(this is at least true for v1.22 and 1.26)

Here's all I know about starting FreeLSS:
https://github.com/hairu/freelss

Thanks knowac.  There is no acknowledgement of running on port 80.  The IP address is shown pre login: I hadn't noticed this before.  I believe freelss is not running.  I will investigate gfithub later today.  I notice there is 8MP camera support there.

6 (edited by me.morris12 2018-01-13 23:31:03)

Well that's a turn up for the books!  I don't quite know what I have done** but this evening I have connected to the scanner from Firefox and have some low level functionality.  I can see what the camera is looking at, toggle the lasers and drive the motor.

I went to github and followed the instructions there to update and upgrade but couldn't perform the 'git clone https://github.com/hairu/freelss' without an error that the folder freelss existed and wasn't empty.  Also on reboot there was still errors about the camera.  But just for the hell of it I tried connecting via Firefox and .... it works.  Fully?  I don't know but we'll see tomorrow.

Anyway thanks again knowack: your help was invaluable.  You did point me in the right direction even if I don't know quite what resolved the issues I was having.

** As an electronics design engineer I don't like things which just fix themselves.  I like to know the reasons and what one has to do to fix a problem otherwise how do you know if you have really fixed it?

ENOMEN generally means that the GPU does not have enough memory to initialize the camera.  Set gpu_mem to 256 in config.txt

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view … hp?t=41105

- Uriah

All working now.  Some tweaking needed and need to find out where the files are stored and how to transfer them to a PC.  I expect they're on the SD card.
Thanks everyone for your help.
Martin

you got further than me. I was able to use mine a couple years ago at first but now nada. pi leds flicker some is all.

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

how/where do you input those commands for manual start etc? the Pi uses dif format than PC and cant connect to enter commands

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

n2ri wrote:

how/where do you input those commands for manual start etc? the Pi uses dif format than PC and cant connect to enter commands

You should be able to remove the sdcard and open it on your PC. If it does not allow you to then you need to reinstall the image to the SDcard as it has become corrupt and could be part of your issue. The card and file structure should be readable on a PC and the files should be able to be opened in notepad and edited. When you save just make sure all file types are selected and that you save with the original extension.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

carl_m1968 wrote:
n2ri wrote:

You should be able to remove the sdcard and open it on your PC. If it does not allow you to then you need to reinstall the image to the SDcard as it has become corrupt and could be part of your issue. The card and file structure should be readable on a PC and the files should be able to be opened in notepad and edited. When you save just make sure all file types are selected and that you save with the original extension.

dont know how or what to load on SD card