Topic: Da Vinci Junior 1.0 heartache

I had done about 45 hours printing on my Junior before it broke. It stopped feeding filament. After cleaning it I eventually discovered it wasn't feeding filament or unloading it. The gear on the stepper was sliding around! I opened the printer up, managed to get into the gears, and realigned the gear, tightening the grub screw properly. Unfortunately I dislodged the very very tiny wires from one of the connectors in the process, and had to put them back, which as far as I can tell I managed to do correctly. I admit I was annoyed that's I had to strip down a virtually new printer. I hope this isn't a common issue!

Unfortunately I've yet to fix the issue completely. Although it loads and unloads ok, the nozzle keeps acting as though it is clogged, resulting in fragmented prints. I've cleaned it again and again, tried replacing tape on the bed, tried changing the Z offset, tried temperature adjustments, level heights, retraction settings... even used paper shims to get the bed perfectly level on both axis... no different.

I'm at a loss as to what to try next. Can anyone offer any advice? I've tried contacting XYZ but it's three working days every time you message them, so at the moment I'm stuck looking at a printer I can't use, which is really frustrating! I'm left wondering if I made a mistake buying this printer. :-(

I'm a total newcomer to 3D printing, based in the UK, and have a DaVinci Junior 1.0
My background is programming, web design, and vinyl cutting!

Re: Da Vinci Junior 1.0 heartache

To start with, yes you made a big mistake!

Now with that out of the way. Are you sure your filament stepper motor is feeding the filament correctly? Seems if the printer was working fine then all of the sudden after have issues with the stepper motor you are having printing problems it would be related to stepper motor. Do you hear any noises while you are printing?

3 (edited by carl_m1968 2018-01-08 02:09:51)

Another thing is it displaying the correct temperatures when it is supposed to be printing. It's possible it is not heating or doing so intermittently.

Oh and yes you made a mistake with XYZ.

Some might praise them for various things, But in a nutshell they are a young and still growing/learning company. They have made leaps from the 1.0 but they still cut corners and cost. With them they are a company you can bet you get what you pay for with. I had a 1.0 which was one pain after another until I gutted it and replaced everything but the case and frame.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

That's frustrating. I bought it cheap because it was supposedly a great beginners printer. :-(

So, moving forward... am I likely to be continuously having problems? Should I be looking to replace it with an ANETBi8, for example?

Yes, the are noises from the feeder sometimes, like it's jumping. They seem to have stopped since I cleaned the feeder and increased the offset. I can get two sheets of paper in there with very little resistance.

I can't tell if it's the right temperature. It shows 201 on the monitor, but for all I know that could be lying!

If I run the system with the Bowden (?) not plugged into the extruder, it's moving back and forth happily, no clicking or anything. The gears move when the filament doesn't, when I get gaps though. I heard a thump once and it suddenly carried on printing, then started acting up again.

I don't know what other tests I can do on the feeder?

I'm a total newcomer to 3D printing, based in the UK, and have a DaVinci Junior 1.0

MM, try this procedure a few times : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xypWQtXNPek 
Also make sure your bowden is not skippig / thunking when priinting.  I highly suggest replacing the bowden with a new one SOMETHING like : https://www.amazon.com/Ocr-Printer-Bowd … B01HPXAECS 
research the forums for folks that did it.  Make sure you determine right vs left hand ones to see which you wanted.  I have not had a feed issue since I replaced mine.

Thanks, I've bookmarked the cleaning video to try tomorrow as it's about 4am here.

With that replacement unit, presumably I have to remove all the stuff that's there already, including the horribly fragile 3-wire cable and board... any idea what connectors that is so I can get some spare? I don't think it will survive much pulling around!

7 (edited by Bozotclown1970 2018-01-08 03:57:46)

Yes, I ahve replaced mine and that was one of the best modes I did. It solved a lot of issues with mine.

MM I sent you a PM.

I think the motor itself is probably ok, as it moves when required as far as I can tell. Whether the gears are crap or there's a blockage, or even friction somewhere there shouldn't be, I don't know how to test.... yet...

Well, the interesting thing is the only thing you REALLY need is the wires to the stepper motor.  The others connectors on that small circuit board (at least on mine ) are a out of filament sensor, and an encoder sensor.
If you do not connect the filament sensor, then you will not stop if you run out of filament and MAY effect the unload function.
If you do not connect the encoder sensor ( I think this is the real flimsy 3 wire connector) then the filament countdown will loose some accuracy.
When I replaced my feeder, I reconnected the filament sensor but not the encoder.  Worked great.
Attach a picture of the small board for confirmation of your setup.

I believe the filament sensor is in the extruder case. I replaced mine and had no issues at all. The only thing I wired up was the stepper motor.

Bozotclown1970 wrote:

I believe the filament sensor is in the extruder case. I replaced mine and had no issues at all. The only thing I wired up was the stepper motor.

I have one there also.  I seem to have 2.

12 (edited by yizhou.he 2018-01-08 20:28:43)

Cough! Cough! Here I am.

I think there are two test you need to do to find out it is your extruder problem or you have hotend clog. Run a test print, and manually push the filament into the extruder with mild force during printing and see if you can get good extrusion from the hotend. If yes, your extruder motor wire is not connected solid and you need to remake the JST connector. If you have this issue, motor will run as you want to, but don't provide enough touch and it reverse its direction when rotation is block by force. To test this hypothesis, you can use some soft tools to block the rotation of the motor gear and see if it reverse the direction.

If it don't reverse the direction, then the spring that hold the encoder is not working or encoder gear and motor gear is not aligned correctly. Give you mess with the motor gear recently, I think this might be more likely what is happened. Assemble the extruder as much as possible and load a filament while align the motor gear, this will help to align the filament in the middle of the encoder gear and motor gear. They need to push against each other to push the filament forward. with miss alignment, it will work fine when not resistance in filament but will stop feed filament when there are small resistance.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/WlpaN-uQQ3Q/maxresdefault.jpg

If manual push does not help, then you have partial clogged hotend, replace the hotend throat and nozzle will fix the issue.

Da vinci Jr. 1.0 is not a plug and play 3D printer, it use high quality parts but is not assembled in a problem free manner. Its overall experience is much better than Da vinci 1.0 (first generation product)  and not as good as Da vinci miniMaker (3rd generation product). It can be a reliable high quality printer if you did all the mod right, but I would not recommend it for beginners.

With that said, Da vinci Jr. 1.0 is still way better than ANET A8 in terms of part quality and reliability after heavy mod. (Except ANET A8 have much larger build volume and can use 3rd party filament). There are many instability issue with ANET A8 is due to the design and difficult to make it problem free. So, with Da vinci Jr. 1.0, I would say you have many mod and repair to do in the beginning. But with ANET A8, I would say you made mistake buying that printer.

Sorry for bad English. Let me know if anything I described is not clear.

(Da Vinci 1.0, Jr. 1.0 RAMPS, miniMaker) X4, (Creality CR-10S, CR-10 mini, Ender-3) X4, Anycubic MEGA X4, Anycubic Chrion X1, ADMILAB Gantry X2 (MonoPrice Maker Select V2, Plus, Ultimate)X4--Select mini X1, Anycubic photon X4, Wanhao duplicate D7 X1.
iNSTONE Inventor Pro X2, CTC Dual X2, ANET-A8, Hictop 3DP-11, Solidoodle Press, FLSUN I3 2017X1

Yizhou.he, better take care of that cough.  With this freezing weather, it could get worse.  ;-).

yizhou.he wrote:

Cough! Cough! Here I am.

Hello sir! :-D

I will try your recommendations and see if that tells me where the problem is.

Before I look at any mods, do you think I should try and send this back under warranty, or would it be better to ignite the warranty and do some mods to improve it?

I'm a beginner to 3D printing, but I'm reasonably good at soldering (as long as it's not too small) and I'm slowly getting more confident with mechanical parts (I've replaced gears and motors on vinyl cutters, but they're bigger and less sensitive to handling).

yizhou.he wrote:

If yes, your extruder motor wire is not connected solid and you need to remake the JST connector.

Is that the very tiny 3pin connections? Do you mean it would be better to replace the wires?

If I'm going to mod it, would it make sense to replace these connectors with something a bit more robust?

yizhou.he wrote:

Assemble the extruder as much as possible and load a filament while align the motor gear, this will help to align the filament in the middle of the encoder gear and motor gear.

This is what I have done. I had my girlfriend also looking with a magnifying glass to check alignment. I can honestly say it's aligned very precisely. :-)

yizhou.he wrote:

If manual push does not help, then you have partial clogged hotend, replace the hotend throat and nozzle will fix the issue.

I have cleaned it as much as I can, so I don't think there is a clog. I can push filament through easily, and it flows smoothly when loading filament. I'm going to do the suggestions above to, in case there's a small particle in the extruder that standard cleaning hasn't removed.

yizhou.he wrote:

Da vinci Jr. 1.0 is not a plug and play 3D printer, it use quality parts but is not assembled in a problem free manner...

...with Da vinci Jr. 1.0, I would say you have many mod and repair to do in the beginning.

I am extremely grateful for your help! You are obviously very experienced with this printer. Could you point me to which mods you think would make this a great printer? Perhaps I would be able to make a list and then gradually improve it. I'm sure that would be rewarding and a good learning experience.

yizhou.he wrote:

Sorry for bad English. Let me know if anything I described is not clear.

Please don't apologise, I'm extremely grateful for your help, and your English is fine!

15 (edited by yizhou.he 2018-01-09 18:00:00)

1. It is not the three pin connector, the three pin connector is for out of filament monitor, your extruder will work fine without it. I'm talking bout the 6 pin connector that connect to the extruder motor, only four wires are connected to the 6 pin connector, if you accidentally make that connector loose, you will have weak extruder motor. try unplug and replug when machine is off see if that fix the issue. you can also check the wire with multi-meter and replace the wire if necessary. The quality of that wire is usually not a issue, just make sure the connection is secure on both ends. common issue is not pluged securely or the metal connect inside the JST housing did not pushed all the way to the end. (wire shown as the image, but your wire may be all white with pink marks on it. and JST housing may be blue color.)

http://www.primopal.com/web/images/wire_03.jpg

https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB10wJTRXXXXXbrXFXXq6xXFXXXe/5pcs-lot-XH-2-54-connector-1M-4Pin-female-female-RepRap-Dupont-wire-cable-for-nema17.jpg

2. if you have partial clogged hotend and good extruder gear alignment, you should hear click sound when you have trouble to get good extrusion. You should also hear click sound if you pull the filament to prevent it from enter extruder. If you have weak extruder motor due to bad connection, your motor gear will stop rotating and will reverse the direction. If your motor gear keep spinning but encoder gear stop spinning, the spring holding motor gear and encoder gear is not strong or not aligned correctly.

3. If you nozzle is too close to the bed, your filament will also have trouble to come out, and you will also have no problem load and unload filament but it act like clogged hotend only during printing. Adjust your z-offset to give more space between nozzle and print bed and see if filament extrude better. (think z-offset as bed height, decrease z-offset to lower the print bed and get more space between hotend and print bed.) This is unlikely because you already played with z-offset, but it also helps to raise the nozzle and let it print in the air and observe if the filament comes out smoothly. This should mimic filament loading/unload if you have weak extruder connection, if you load and unload fine but have issue print in air, it is your print setting rather than the hardware.

4. I would not recommend any mod that you can not restore to stock condition before your warranty expires. (not that XYZprinting customer service will be any helpful, but it is easier to troubleshoot when you have most stock setting or can revert back to stock and see if it fix the issue.) But I do think add a layer cooling fan is important to improve your print quality once you get your print back to function. I would also recommend the 3rd party filament hack so that you are not limited by expensive XYZprinting filament.

I would also recommend you print out E3D hotend mounting mod because Jr. stock hotend tends to clog more often than E3D. This is a good mod to have but I would not recommend do it now. It is always better that you do the mod after you get more experience with your 3D printer and have more idea what kind of print quality issue is caused by what.

Ultimately doing RAMPS conversion will make this a great printer and allowing dual color printing, but I would not recommend do it now. As I said, get more printing experience and print quality troubleshoot skills before any major mod. You will be lot more confident and your learning experience will be much more rewarding and better quality.

https://www.simplify3d.com/support/prin … eshooting/

(Da Vinci 1.0, Jr. 1.0 RAMPS, miniMaker) X4, (Creality CR-10S, CR-10 mini, Ender-3) X4, Anycubic MEGA X4, Anycubic Chrion X1, ADMILAB Gantry X2 (MonoPrice Maker Select V2, Plus, Ultimate)X4--Select mini X1, Anycubic photon X4, Wanhao duplicate D7 X1.
iNSTONE Inventor Pro X2, CTC Dual X2, ANET-A8, Hictop 3DP-11, Solidoodle Press, FLSUN I3 2017X1

I can't help but wonder if Simplify3D might just work better than XYZware anyway... however... it's expensive... and I don't see a 30 day trial or anything.

XYZ Support have still not responded to the ticket opened Wednesday. The supplier (eBuyer) refuse to issue a returns number until XYZ Support have said I need to return the printer. I have to decide if I want that fight, or whether I just continue to solve this myself, and if I can't, get a different printer from somewhere else (Creality CR10 from Gear Best maybe?)..

I'm not tied to using XYZ filament - I have a little NFC tag programmer and a load of NTAG213 stickers. They work, I've just not had the opportunity to use any yet because the printer broke! I tested the tags just by holding them next to the spool holder and the printer seems tricked into thinking there's a spool of my choosing there.

Progress!

The 6-pin stepper cable was never removed or touched, but I checked it anyway - no issue there. There's also a 4-pin connector of the same type going to a small board that I had unplugged and reinserted - again no issue there.

I checked the pinch rollers - they're perfectly aligned. The filament is sitting absolutely dead centre on both the channel in the drive roller, and the grooved part of the other roller. I can't see any way to adjust spring tension. It's quite high, because it takes a bit of effort to pull it far enough to insert filament, so it's not that easy to get the filament all the way down the bowden to the extruder for loading. This is no different from how it has always been.

The thing that made the biggest difference is changing the filament. I was using the 100m roll of white that came with the printer, and was down to the last 15m. I'm now using a new roll of "XYZ Junior series 600g clear yellow". I've got thump thump thump from the feeder when it first starts putting down the raft or first layers, but the raft looks fine. That stops after about 2 layers, and it seems to act normal with the setting tweaks below. It is now printing "ok" but I'm sure it was better originally, so there must still be things to resolve. I don't think the thumping is the offset, because it does it even with the nozzle 2mm above the bed. Could there be something in the main body of the extruder that isn't right?

So far the best results I've got are by slowing down everything. Print speed to "low", reducing the retraction speed to 20mm/s, reducing the retraction distance to 3mm, and bumping up the temperature by 5C (it monitors at 206C).

It seems to have a lot of trouble getting that first layer down, and I'm going back to trying different Z-Offset settings to see if that can be resolved. At the moment my nozzle is 0.25mm from the bed at the edges, and about 0.20mm in the middle - I don't know why the bed is raised in the middle - I'm thinking of flipping the glass over and see what happens.

I printed off the official "wind duct" that attaches to the extruder - it printed ok, even though I had the thump-thump at the start. I can't say that's making any difference at the moment, but I've left it attached for now.

I printed the samples - the little heart pendant and the twisted vase - both seem ok, and look the same as the ones we printed when we first got the printer. Neither are brilliant, but they're reasonable. Again, first two or three layers "thump-thump-thump" then normal. Again I needed to adjust the speeds and temp.

If I printed the E3D hot end mod, does that mean I could have a 0.3mm hot end, or would I need to buy the "XYZ 0.3mm extruder with nozzle" first? If I'm going to have to replace it, I'd rather have the higher resolution.

Additional thought... when you dial in +5C temp adjustment, does that only apply after the first layer, or raft, etc? I'm actually wondering if the temp sensor on my extruder might be reading too high, so when it thinks it's 200C it's far lower... how would I test it though?

1. Simplify3D is very expensive, I would recommend Cura+Threedub. There are post in this forum with instruction, it do improve print quality a lot if you have layer cooling fan and slice with Cura and then convert gcode to .3w with Threedub.

2. XYZ Support is not very helpful, I would not waste my time deal with them unless out of options.

3. If you don't have weak extruder motor, then you have high resistance in the PFTE tube or throat or nozzle. People usually clean throat and nozzle well but ignor the PFTE tube, check both end too see if the opening is wide and round with no melted plastic stick there. You can cut 50mm of the PFTE tube out on both end and round the inside to make sure no additional resistance for filament to go through.

4. The reason you got  thump thump thump from the feeder when it first starts putting down the raft or first layers but not the rest layer because XYZware use 0.3mm for first layer and the rest layer will change with your setting of layer height. So if you have high resistance in PFTE tube or throat, your fist layer will not able to flow plastic fast enough. If you layer height is set to 0.2mm or smaller, then the situation will get better. if you print with 0.3mm layer height, then you are expect to hear the  thump thump thump from the feeder all the time.

5. the wind duct or layer cooling fan will help with print quality, but will not help with your extruder issue.

6. If I printed the E3D hot end mod, does that mean I could have a 0.3mm hot end, and you don't need to buy the "XYZ 0.3mm extruder with nozzle". E3D hot end mod work with E3D or E3D clone hotend, they are cheaper and better, you don't really get jam with E3D or E3D clone.

7. High resolution come with cost of much slower printing speed, and it will take much longer to print. I would only recommend 0.3 mm mod if you have another larger build volume 3D printer with 0.4 mm nozzle, then you can use Jr. with 0.3 mm nozzle only for high resolution stuff.

8. When your printer is cool, you should read room temperature, ice water mix should bring it down to 0C, if you want to test if 200C is acculate, you need thermostats, there are thermostats for oven or candy can go that high, you may find one in your (parents) kitchen.

9. the temperature +5C adjustment affect all layer, but layer height only affect 2nd layer and above.

One thing to keep in mind is the smaller the hot end the less filament it can deposit over a given time. This means that for every one step you go down it will almost double your print time. Same thing happens when you reduce layer height. A .3 nozzle will not really improve resolution in my opinion since you can already print at a .3, .2, and even .1 layer height. All the .3 will do again is restrict the amount of filament that can be laid down at any given time. Calibration and proper settings are the key to the max resolution your printer can do.

The nozzle diameter simply dictates how wide based on extrusion feed rate that the single wall/perimeter will be on each pass.

20 (edited by yizhou.he 2018-01-10 21:58:44)

carl_m1968 wrote:

One thing to keep in mind is the smaller the hot end the less filament it can deposit over a given time. This means that for every one step you go down it will almost double your print time. Same thing happens when you reduce layer height. A .3 nozzle will not really improve resolution in my opinion since you can already print at a .3, .2, and even .1 layer height. All the .3 will do again is restrict the amount of filament that can be laid down at any given time. Calibration and proper settings are the key to the max resolution your printer can do.

The nozzle diameter simply dictates how wide based on extrusion feed rate that the single wall/perimeter will be on each pass.

I thought the same thing before I really tried .3 mm nozzle, but after I tried it, the improvement in resolution is very significant. It do take a lot longer to print, and you need to print a lot slower than 0.4 mm nozzle. Layer resolution mostly reflect in how smooth your z-band is and with good Calibration and proper settings I can basically make the z-band not visible by naked eye at 0.2 mm layer height (it still shows up after zoomed with camera and reflected in light).

But the resolution is still limited with 0.4 mm nozzle especially in application that a box with text on the surface. How clear the text is and how small font you can go will be largely depend on how small the nozzle size is. It also help when print object with fancy pattern with curves on surface. It doesn't seemed much change from 0.4 mm to 0.3 mm but difference in results are stunning. 0.2 mm nozzle give you even better result but it also clog/wear off quicker.

But I do agree calibration and proper settings are the key to the max resolution your printer can do. 0.3 mm nozzle will do you no good if printer is not well calibrated or even vibrating. If you are still struggle with z-band consistency, or many other issues, switch to 0.3 mm should not be your first priority.

Cracked it at last - printing at "+10C" in clear yellow gives me a nozzle that is supposedly 210C. The "thump thump thump" is related to speed! If I slow the print speed down everything is fine again. If I print normally, it only thumps on long rectilinear fills - slow it down and it's fine.

I'm no expert, but I think everything is pointing to that hot end not getting hot enough. I'm also suspicious of the firmware (started a new thread) as every spool is coming up 200C when printing, and I'm sure these colours are supposed to be 210C.

Where would I stuff the temperature probe - into the extruder down too the end of the nozzle?

One thing I do like with the XYZ extruder is that if I had two sizes, it takes about 20 seconds to swap them over. That's quite appealing, as long as the connector itself is reasonably robust.

Magic Matt wrote:

Cracked it at last - printing at "+10C" in clear yellow gives me a nozzle that is supposedly 210C. The "thump thump thump" is related to speed! If I slow the print speed down everything is fine again. If I print normally, it only thumps on long rectilinear fills - slow it down and it's fine.

I'm no expert, but I think everything is pointing to that hot end not getting hot enough. I'm also suspicious of the firmware (started a new thread) as every spool is coming up 200C when printing, and I'm sure these colours are supposed to be 210C.

Where would I stuff the temperature probe - into the extruder down too the end of the nozzle?

I had exact same problem like this before, twice with my stock hotend. I'm 100% my hotend is not clogged, but the problem went away after I change the throat. I think some melted plastic may stick in the inside of PFTE tube inside of the throat or I somehow changed the shape of the PFTE tube inside of the throat lead to increased resistance, new throat is $10 for 5 piece from amazon, so I did not bother to figure it out.

yizhou.he wrote:
Magic Matt wrote:

I had exact same problem like this before, twice with my stock hotend. I'm 100% my hotend is not clogged, but the problem went away after I change the throat. I think some melted plastic may stick in the inside of PFTE tube inside of the throat or I somehow changed the shape of the PFTE tube inside of the throat lead to increased resistance, new throat is $10 for 5 piece from amazon, so I did not bother to figure it out.

If it was stuck plastic then it would not matter what speed you run it, the problem would still be there. However he said when he slows down it goes a way. That being said his problem is what he suspects and not the same as the one you had.

The firmware update he got is ignoring the temp set in the carts and instead is using a default global temperature. I no longer have an XYZ machine but from what I have heard the newer host for those machines allows you to modify the temps. I also would bet that some where in the settings there is an allowance for it to simply use the carts temp but in his case that is not enabled. So the machine is using a default temp that is too low for the speed is running.

I have used many printers and I rarely see one whose reported hotend temp is correct. I have seen a variance of up to 20 degrees. In those case you simply have to use trial and error and keep increasing the temp by 5 until it can print all of a layer with no thumps.

I've ordered a set of NTAG213 stickers. I'm going to systematically go through all the "colours", and see if it makes any difference. I'm sure somebody on the pages can make use of the data too.

With the system doing as it is now, the temp is effectively manually set from 190 to 210, which doesn't seem right anyway.