Topic: I'm back! (Rebuilding my Solidoodle)

http://soliforum.com/i/?FlpDIxx.jpg

Hey Everybody!

I don't know how many of you remember me, I was pretty active on the forum up until about 2 years ago. Life got a bit crazy (changed occupation, family issues, surgery, a failed business venture, in no particular order) but now it's starting to settle down and it's time to pick up old projects and get everything back on track.

I think this will be a fun project: The goal is going to be documenting fixing my poor old Solidoodle. I have a Mod-t I can use to print parts (even though the print quality is horrible) and I think the end result will be something nice. I was in the middle of rebuilding the SD when my life got.... complicated... so step one is to assess the damage.

The damage found so far:

- I obviously need to finish the carriage replacement I was on. New 8mm rods are in place and I have all the lawsy carriage replacement parts printed but I appear to be short some LM8UUs so i will have to wait a couple days while new ones come in.
- Looks like I was using a well nut as anti-backlash and the rubber on it has split
- I put a RUMBA board on here at some point?! I barely remember this stuff so it is going to be fun relearning everything
- I found half of a cheap E3d knockoff (missing nozzle, i had cut some vanes off of the heatsink to get it to fit properly at one point), half of the original SD extruder, and a nice still in box anemic looking Merlin hotend. I am going to use the Merlin for now.
- The extruder is..... gone. Just nothing left but a couple printed parts.

The upgrades to come:
- Carriage replacement (obviously)
- New extruder (same)
- Braided fishing line belt upgrade (have the fishing line already and I don't know if i have all the belts for the SD still)
- M3 screw upgrade. I have a lot of ball screws and lead screws lying around but I found a beautiful piece of m3 threaded rod on the shelf that I think was destined for this

What can I say, it's good to be back!

SD3 w/ RUMBA (8825s), merlin hot end (in pieces). Ender3 w/ silent board for PLA printing. Ender5 w/ silent board, e3d v6, new z lead screw, and glass bed. DiY Kossel w/ smoothieboard (in pieces). Vellman Vertex (in pieces)
Shapeoko2 router in process of being converted to laser engraver (in pieces)
Multicam 5000 series CNC Router w/ 11HP spindle, 5x10' table, and auto tool changer (in pieces)

Re: I'm back! (Rebuilding my Solidoodle)

welcome back and good luck with that old war horse. if you need parts some guys here started www.printitindustries.com just for us solidoodle guys to be able to get parts still

Sd4 #9080 with a glass bed. E3d chimera duel extruder. Paste extruder , duet wifi.
Lawsy carriages. linear bearings. Y axis direct drive, Kinect scanner
SD4#8188 glass bed, lawsly carriages, E3d v6, octoprint http://www.ustream.tv/channel/hotrod96z28
Filastruder/filawinder, Custom Delta 300mm x 600mm

welcome back

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

Does look like you have a little work cut out for you, but I am sure it will be fine.

Glad to see you back! smile

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

It isn't quite as bad as it looks. After I cleaned all the debris out of the machine, there doesn't seem to be too much damage.

The big question is whether or not I should do a complete disassembly and paint the frame since it is mostly stripped already, but if i wanted to do that I'd have to pull all the electronics out of it and remove the Z assembly. Not sure it's worth bothering.

SD3 w/ RUMBA (8825s), merlin hot end (in pieces). Ender3 w/ silent board for PLA printing. Ender5 w/ silent board, e3d v6, new z lead screw, and glass bed. DiY Kossel w/ smoothieboard (in pieces). Vellman Vertex (in pieces)
Multicam 5000 series CNC Router w/ 11HP spindle, 5x10' table, and auto tool changer (in pieces)

TheBaron wrote:

It isn't quite as bad as it looks. After I cleaned all the debris out of the machine, there doesn't seem to be too much damage.

The big question is whether or not I should do a complete disassembly and paint the frame since it is mostly stripped already, but if i wanted to do that I'd have to pull all the electronics out of it and remove the Z assembly. Not sure it's worth bothering.

I'm big fan of frame and case because it help to keep the noise down. So I think it definitely worth the painting. Paint can protect the metal from rusting and during the painting process you can disassemble and clean the rods and electronics completely. dust and rust can cause issues that hard to identify.

It also give the machine fresh looking...to start a new life.

(Da Vinci 1.0, Jr. 1.0 RAMPS, miniMaker) X4, (Creality CR-10S, CR-10 mini, Ender-3) X4, Anycubic MEGA X4, Anycubic Chrion X1, ADMILAB Gantry X2 (MonoPrice Maker Select V2, Plus, Ultimate)X4--Select mini X1, Anycubic photon X4, Wanhao duplicate D7 X1.
iNSTONE Inventor Pro X2, CTC Dual X2, ANET-A8, Hictop 3DP-11, Solidoodle Press, FLSUN I3 2017X1

Welcome back, Baron!
If you recall, I sold you a set of carriages a few years ago. Since then, as kronikabuse said, myself and a few others here have started a company to help Solidoodle users. We've also created some new designs including the Hale heatbed which is designed as a universal heater and is proven to work on the SD3.

Sale or no sale, we are here to help!

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

Thanks everybody big_smile No real updates yet. Need to get something to clamp the new rails in place and I need to get some longer bolts for holding the carriage together but everything else is looking good.

Baron,

Welcome back and we are here to help if you need it!

SD2 - Stock - Enclosure - Heated Bed - Glass Plate - Auto Fire Extinguisher
Ord Bot Hadron - RAMPS 1.4 - Bulldog XL - E3D v6 - 10" x 10" PCB Heated Build w/SSR - Glass Plate
Thanks for All of Your Help!

i picked up a set of aluminum collars like are used on the SD4s from an RC plane site..pretty sure it was this one..
http://www.radicalrc.com/category/Wheel-Collars-263
Set of four, 8mm ID for $4.70

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater

Just a quick update, I had some time this week and stripped the frame down and give it the first coat of paint using a Rustoleum paint/primer combo. My other printers are all black so I decided to go red. Results were... not so good.

http://soliforum.com/i/?R9av9Pf.jpg
http://soliforum.com/i/?JSPZNsk.jpg

The paint came out a lot thicker than I expected so there are some serious runs. Once it has had a chance to dry I'll give it a quick once over with a red scotchbrite pad and give it another shot of paint to smooth it out. I'm waiting on some new belt material to come in so I can take my time getting this halfway nice.

Nice to see you still kicking around Baron!
If you need any help with anything, just holler - i check in at least once a day.

Will do! Shortly after my triumphant return I changed careers again and now with the stay in place order I'm finally catching up on projects.

Im back as well still hung on my SD2 rebuilds trying to get the nerve to do the upgrade reprogramming a member on here was so nice to give step by step instructions for. getting tired of looking at all my 3D stuff collecting dust while STL files pile up (over 20k in archives now. dang Thingiverse Im adicted lol nice to see all the familiar members even the grumpy ones hehe

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

I am seriously looking at getting a good low cost resin printer also for all my fine detail items

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

n2ri wrote:

I am seriously looking at getting a good low cost resin printer also for all my fine detail items

Checkout the Voxelab Proxima.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

I have an Anycubic Photon that's been doing great.