1 (edited by Grendel 2017-12-14 12:39:03)

Topic: Personalised keyrings

I spent a fruitful evening last night producing 14 personalised keyrings for the rest of my team at work, each one was printed with the persons name sunk into the keyring, then they were hung on the tree in the office.
Excuse the poor picture my tablet does not have a great camera

http://www.soliforum.com/misc.php?action=pun_attachment&item=10741&download=0

Post's attachments

P_20171214_075307.jpg
P_20171214_075307.jpg 247.91 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Re: Personalised keyrings

Though the cost was only a few pennies for each, they were received thankfully as only a present that someone has taken the time to think out and make can be.

Grendel wrote:

Though the cost was only a few pennies for each, they were received thankfully as only a present that someone has taken the time to think out and make can be.

I think that is very thoughtful. I think the idea can be upgrade to be something more useful for the key-rings. Depend on what you are doing in the office.

For example I would prefer to make a key-rings with a case for usb flash drive, and put personalized name on one side of the case. There are many inexpensive usb flash drive that do not hung well on key-rings, a 3D printed case can help secure the flash drive and provide possibility to put people's name on it.

The Pros to this idea will be:
1. It is useful and people might just keep it on their key-ring for a long time.

The cons to this idea will be:
1. Need to print in 3 mm nozzle for the quality of text, it will take longer if change from name tag to flash drive case.
2. Need to design carefully so that it will fit to USB port without block other USB port.
3. Frequent use may damage the case.
4. Cost increase a lot.
5. Flash drive upgrade in capacity every year, so you might need to send out new one next year.
6. Laser-engraving on the flash drive is easier.

(Da Vinci 1.0, Jr. 1.0 RAMPS, miniMaker) X4, (Creality CR-10S, CR-10 mini, Ender-3) X4, Anycubic MEGA X4, Anycubic Chrion X1, ADMILAB Gantry X2 (MonoPrice Maker Select V2, Plus, Ultimate)X4--Select mini X1, Anycubic photon X4, Wanhao duplicate D7 X1.
iNSTONE Inventor Pro X2, CTC Dual X2, ANET-A8, Hictop 3DP-11, Solidoodle Press, FLSUN I3 2017X1

4 (edited by carl_m1968 2017-12-14 16:35:03)

yizhou.he wrote:
Grendel wrote:

I think that is very thoughtful. I think the idea can be upgrade to be something more useful for the key-rings. Depend on what you are doing in the office.

For example I would prefer to make a key-rings with a case for usb flash drive, and put personalized name on one side of the case. There are many inexpensive usb flash drive that do not hung well on key-rings, a 3D printed case can help secure the flash drive and provide possibility to put people's name on it.

The Pros to this idea will be:
1. It is useful and people might just keep it on their key-ring for a long time.

The cons to this idea will be:
1. Need to print in 3 mm nozzle for the quality of text, it will take longer if change from name tag to flash drive case.
2. Need to design carefully so that it will fit to USB port without block other USB port.
3. Frequent use may damage the case.
4. Cost increase a lot.
5. Flash drive upgrade in capacity every year, so you might need to send out new one next year.
6. Laser-engraving on the flash drive is easier.

Yet there is nothing wrong with just a key ring. I think you are missing the point.

It's not about the item, but the thought. He went out of his way to make an item that could be useful to his coworkers. Rather or not they use it is not the issue.

The fact he did it is what counts. I am not sure how Christmas is celebrated in your home or office, but in his country and my country it is celebrated by giving gifts.

It's not the gift that matters to us, but the fact the person thought enough of us to give us something is what matters. The fact it is made by the person makes it mean that much more, the value or function of the item is not what is important.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

always one upping

Sd4 #9080 with a glass bed. E3d chimera duel extruder. Paste extruder , duet wifi.
Lawsy carriages. linear bearings. Y axis direct drive, Kinect scanner
SD4#8188 glass bed, lawsly carriages, E3d v6, octoprint http://www.ustream.tv/channel/hotrod96z28
Filastruder/filawinder, Custom Delta 300mm x 600mm

carl_m1968 wrote:

Yet there is nothing wrong with just a key ring. I think you are missing the point.

It's not about the item, but the thought. He went out of his way to make an item that could be useful to his coworkers. Rather or not they use it is not the issue.

The fact he did it is what counts. I am not sure how Christmas is celebrated in your home or office, but in his country and my country it is celebrated by giving gifts.

It's not the gift that matters to us, but the fact the person thought enough of us to give us something is what matters. The fact it is made by the person makes it mean that much more, the value or function of the item is not what is important.

I agree, there is nothing wrong with just a key ring. I think it is great that he come up with the idea and make it so special. I was inspired by his idea and plan to do something similar.

My Christmas spend in USA only in UNC and Harvard, people all do gift exchange games (I don't really remember the name, it is called differently when different people host the game in Christmas party). All gift are packed and numbered, and people can choose to draw an number to unpack a gift or choose to "Steal" from people that already unpacked their gift. I never liked the game but it happens every year.

(Da Vinci 1.0, Jr. 1.0 RAMPS, miniMaker) X4, (Creality CR-10S, CR-10 mini, Ender-3) X4, Anycubic MEGA X4, Anycubic Chrion X1, ADMILAB Gantry X2 (MonoPrice Maker Select V2, Plus, Ultimate)X4--Select mini X1, Anycubic photon X4, Wanhao duplicate D7 X1.
iNSTONE Inventor Pro X2, CTC Dual X2, ANET-A8, Hictop 3DP-11, Solidoodle Press, FLSUN I3 2017X1

here in the UK, we have around the office a secret santa - this is where everyone puts their name in a hat, and each person picks a name, they then have to buy an appropriate gift for that person, with a price range between £5 and £10, this year I picked someone who had just spent £800 on a top of the range coffee machine, so I went and got him 1 Lb of top quality coffee beans for £8.50, which he loved (he still doesnt know who got it for him). Its all a bit of fun really.
the key rings were just a fun gift from me to everyone, much the same as the chocolate baubles I got and hung on the tree - its a good way of raising the morale in the office and getting everyone to join in the festivities, and uniting all of the people, from various backgrounds and religious faiths (our office is a real cultural mix with people from all across the world).

Grendel wrote:

here in the UK, we have around the office a secret santa - this is where everyone puts their name in a hat, and each person picks a name, they then have to buy an appropriate gift for that person, with a price range between £5 and £10, this year I picked someone who had just spent £800 on a top of the range coffee machine, so I went and got him 1 Lb of top quality coffee beans for £8.50, which he loved (he still doesnt know who got it for him). Its all a bit of fun really.
the key rings were just a fun gift from me to everyone, much the same as the chocolate baubles I got and hung on the tree - its a good way of raising the morale in the office and getting everyone to join in the festivities, and uniting all of the people, from various backgrounds and religious faiths (our office is a real cultural mix with people from all across the world).

Wow! I actually like your version of secret santa. First you know who you give the gift to and therefore easy to pick something he will actually like or useful, and 2nd you guys don't have to deal with stealing gift part, I hate that process. I will definitely bring this up this year and hopefully they will agree to change the rule.

Thank you very much for the idea and information.