1 (edited by Steph 2017-12-03 12:22:17)

Topic: starting with 123d design: weird pixels and laggy

Hello

I'm just going to start with 3d modelling.  I've been watching some youtube tutorials and thought, 123d design might be a good tool to get startet.

I've installed and started up 123d design for the first time, and now I see all these weird pixels on the menu items and on the helptext etc. (see attached screenshot).

http://www.soliforum.com/misc.php?action=pun_attachment&item=10720&download=0&secure_str=17915t16937

Has anyone seen these effects on 123d design already?Might there someting wrong in my configuration?

I even think it feels a bit laggy on working as well.

've installed the 2.2.14 64bit Windows Version (Downloaded file: 123D_Design_R2.2_WIN64_2.2.14.exe)

My System:

I am running a Notbook with a Windows 10, 64bit Operating System, containing:

RAM: 16,0 GB Ram
CPU: 2.40 GHz Core i7-2760QM CPU (4 Cores, 8 Logical Cores)

GFX: AMD Firepro M5950 (1024 MB Memory) Graphics Card

System-Resolution is at 1920 x 1080 pixels.

Is there any hardware that could be too slow for 3d-Modelling?

I'm happy for any comment & advice.

Kind Regards,
S

Post's attachments

123d design resolution.PNG 144.25 kb, 2 downloads since 2017-12-03 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Re: starting with 123d design: weird pixels and laggy

Hnnn you should have way more than enough computer to run  123design . the only thing i see is your screen resolution is set pretty high it may be showing/ causing the anomalies the screen shot on this machine looks fine but my resolution is much lower about half. 
So you can ignore them and try the program or maybe tone down your screen resolution.
Hope this helps.

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

3 (edited by Steph 2017-12-03 14:37:45)

Hi Tin

Thank you - was playing around with the resolution and finally found the reason what caused the problems. On windows, there is an option where you can set the size of Text, Apps and other elements like icons to bigger sizes (e.g. 150%, 175%, 200%). That was set to 200% on my system and causing the problems.

If anyone has the same issue, you can find the windows option under:

System Settings, Screen, Scaling and Adjustment

(See Attached Screenshot)

Thanks for the hint Falcon, it brought me to the right solution.

Post's attachments

Screenres.png
Screenres.png 44.38 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

4 (edited by Tin Falcon 2017-12-03 19:28:58)

Good to here you were able to sort out the issue .
I think you will like this program .
I find it very intuitive but sometimes it can be frustrating.
Feel free to post any question you you may have.

Settings in German so you from Germany   ??
Sometime a huge help to post location.

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed

And welcome to the forum , do you have a printer yet ??

Tin

I would recommend tinkercad for beginners to start with 3d modelling. 

Pros:
1. It very intuitive and less chance of get frustrated.
2. Your model are stored online and can be accessed indepent of which computer you are using.
3. It is web based so no need to install anything.

Cons:
1. It only provide limited functions but more than enough for beginner. I get all I needed done in tinkercad.
2. May become slower when object become very complex, that is usually not a problem for beginners.

https://www.tinkercad.com/

(Da Vinci 1.0, Jr. 1.0 RAMPS, miniMaker) X4, (Creality CR-10S, CR-10 mini, Ender-3) X4, Anycubic MEGA X4, Anycubic Chrion X1, ADMILAB Gantry X2 (MonoPrice Maker Select V2, Plus, Ultimate)X4--Select mini X1, Anycubic photon X4, Wanhao duplicate D7 X1.
iNSTONE Inventor Pro X2, CTC Dual X2, ANET-A8, Hictop 3DP-11, Solidoodle Press, FLSUN I3 2017X1

Personally, I would NOT recommend Tinkercad - or ANY cloud based program for that matter.

but that is my personal preference

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

heartless wrote:

Personally, I would NOT recommend Tinkercad - or ANY cloud based program for that matter.

but that is my personal preference

I couldn't agree more.

I agree with that as well .
I do have an enthusiast subscription to fusion 360 but have not used it

To me us using cloud based computing is going backwards away from personal computing.
Back to when one used a terminal to connect to a MAINFRAME,

I only recommend it for beginners. it is easy to learn and easy to use.

I don't know where you guys get your computer science degree, but I was tough cloud based computing is evolutionary. Cloud based computing and Personal computing both has its own Pros and Cons, why you guys always have to pick one side? I always choose to take advantage of both selectively.

(Da Vinci 1.0, Jr. 1.0 RAMPS, miniMaker) X4, (Creality CR-10S, CR-10 mini, Ender-3) X4, Anycubic MEGA X4, Anycubic Chrion X1, ADMILAB Gantry X2 (MonoPrice Maker Select V2, Plus, Ultimate)X4--Select mini X1, Anycubic photon X4, Wanhao duplicate D7 X1.
iNSTONE Inventor Pro X2, CTC Dual X2, ANET-A8, Hictop 3DP-11, Solidoodle Press, FLSUN I3 2017X1

Cloud base computing has one major flaw. If something happens to your network or the network anywhere between you and the cloud server you are unable to get access to your data. Same holds true if the cloud server crashes. You can't get your data. I really don't understand such a push for this technology when it is so vulnerable and failure prone.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

12 (edited by yizhou.he 2017-12-05 20:17:11)

I agree with the major flaw, nothing is perfect. Personal computer also have one major flaw, if the hard drive malfunction, you lost your data. That's why I think they both have pros and cons, And that's why I use them in combination.

As the technology evolves, there will be more backup server and connection choices, if my wifi at home breakdown, I can access my file use cell phone, and cloud based network will have more backup servers, and personal computer can afford to have hard drive arrays for backup.

13 (edited by Bozotclown1970 2017-12-05 22:20:18)

Has anyone read all of the user agreement for using the cloud they access? If so, who owns the data in the cloud? I think most of you will be surpised.

which cloud you referring to?

15 (edited by Bozotclown1970 2017-12-05 23:06:40)

In general, read the agreement.

That is unless you are running you own cloud.

This goes for Facebook and all of the other Social Media markets.

16 (edited by yizhou.he 2017-12-05 23:18:11)

Is facebook and social media markets classified as cloud? Who will post property file on social media? I always encrypt property file before sync with One Drive or Google Drive just for safety reasons.

So better option is to run social media website on your personal computer?

OK, the following id from Onedrive.

b. To the extent necessary to provide the Services to you and others, to protect you and the Services, and to improve Microsoft products and services, you grant to Microsoft a worldwide and royalty-free intellectual property license to use Your Content, for example, to make copies of, retain, transmit, reformat, display, and distribute via communication tools Your Content on the Services. If you publish Your Content in areas of the Service where it is available broadly online without restrictions, Your Content may appear in demonstrations or materials that promote the Service. Some of the Services are supported by advertising. Controls for how Microsoft personalizes advertising are available on the Security & privacy page of the Microsoft account management website. We do not use what you say in email, chat, video calls or voice mail, or your documents, photos or other personal files to target advertising to you. Our advertising policies are covered in detail in the Privacy Statement.

if I don't let them "to make copies of, retain, transmit, reformat, display, and distribute via communication tools Your Content on the Services", it is illegal for them to sync my files between my computers or share with co-workers. And I clearly don't have to decrypt  my file so that they can appear in demonstrations or materials that promote the Service

I think you would argue with yourself but you would be afraid of losing the argument.

Bozotclown1970 wrote:

I think you would argue with yourself but you would be afraid of losing the argument.

I think you would be right, Bozotclown1970.. LOL

I do not use "cloud services" unless I absolutely need to, and then only long enough to upload from one device and download to another. I do not leave things in the cloud for the very reasons outlined in the user agreement shown above.
I do not need my phone and my computer to be synchronized, either... =/

I do not use cloud based programs for the simple fact that my internet service is not reliable enough. I live in a very rural area, we do not have access to cable, or even DSL, internet services. About the only real drawback to living out here.

A smart person learns how to make back-ups of their data, so even in the event of a hard drive crash, they still have their stuff.. external drives have gotten rather cheap with lots of space, so easy enough to buy one or two and back things up. I have a couple of 1TB drives that I use, and thinking about getting another one.

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater

heartless,

Thank you very much for the support. Nice to see that some people do read and understand the agreements of the services they are using.

I have a linux server setup ao I can access anything from anywhere I have internet service.

22 (edited by heartless 2017-12-06 15:22:04)

Bozotclown1970 wrote:

heartless,

Thank you very much for the support. Nice to see that some people do read and understand the agreements of the services they are using.

I have a linux server setup ao I can access anything from anywhere I have internet service.

you are quite welcome. smile but not really necessary to thank me.

I honestly do not like the whole cloud thing, and find it amazing that people do not understand the risks involved and what they are agreeing to in using those services. It is stunning to think that people just simply click "OK" without actually reading anything.

In the example you provided I find this particularly troubling...

...you grant to Microsoft a worldwide and royalty-free intellectual property license to use Your Content,...

and...

...Your Content may appear in demonstrations or materials that promote the Service...

Meaning they can use your content however they see fit, without compensating you for that use.
Sorry, but NO.

And yes, Facebook and other social media sites have similar language in their user agreements, so by posting pictures on FB, Twitter, etc - you are agreeing to the potential use of your stuff, whether you like it or not.

Bozotclown1970 wrote:

heartless,

So basically you are using your own cloud. That is one way of taking advantage of both cloud based computing and personal computing. I do the same thing too, but I still encrypt important files even stored on my own cloud and limit access from only certain computers. You think your own cloud is safer than OneDrive but hackers and spywares disagree.

The stuff I choose to store on OneDrive or google drive without encrypt are mostly collection of jpg file, stl files, ebooks and research papers I download from Internet. they are organized in a way easy for me to find. If microsoft and google interested, feel free to do so. LOL

24 (edited by yizhou.he 2017-12-06 19:09:52)

heartless wrote:

you are quite welcome. smile but not really necessary to thank me.

I honestly do not like the whole cloud thing, and find it amazing that people do not understand the risks involved and what they are agreeing to in using those services. It is stunning to think that people just simply click "OK" without actually reading anything.

In the example you provided I find this particularly troubling...

...you grant to Microsoft a worldwide and royalty-free intellectual property license to use Your Content,...

and...

...Your Content may appear in demonstrations or materials that promote the Service...

Meaning they can use your content however they see fit, without compensating you for that use.
Sorry, but NO.

And yes, Facebook and other social media sites have similar language in their user agreements, so by posting pictures on FB, Twitter, etc - you are agreeing to the potential use of your stuff, whether you like it or not.

I don't remember I paid for the service from facebook and twitter etc. So they don't owe me anything. It is your own responsibility to protect your intercultural property. If you are naive enough to post intercultural property on social media website, never use internet may be your best option.