1 (edited by Dorion 2017-11-26 22:20:00)

Topic: My latest problem: Screeching when going right.

EDIT: Another known issue, the little plastic gear on the left hand side was sticky. Thanks to yizhou.he and this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04UmMDdBG9Y, all is currently right in XYZ land again. For the moment. Give me a week.
----------
When the extruder is traveling to the right, I'm getting a high-pitched squeaking noise, which sounds like friction. I wiped down and re-oiled the rails (Hoppe's gun oil, it's what I had to hand and I've read is a fine 3D lube), and it's still screeching. When I move the assembly by hand, I can feel a little resistance only going right, and it's making the noise even when moving it by hand. It sounds like the noise could be coming from the motor itself, or at least the end of the assembly.

I tried making a print anyway, and have gotten a couple of failures pretty much from the start. So this is going to have to be dealt with.

So, who has been here?

ETA attachment.

Re: My latest problem: Screeching when going right.

Pictures or video would be helpful. I think it is some minor issue like something (most likely ABS fragment) may be stacked in the pulley. loose the belt and move the assembly by hand, if the sound goes away. clean the pulley and step motor and oil the motor see if the sound goes away.

(Da Vinci 1.0, Jr. 1.0 RAMPS, miniMaker) X4, (Creality CR-10S, CR-10 mini, Ender-3) X4, Anycubic MEGA X4, Anycubic Chrion X1, ADMILAB Gantry X2 (MonoPrice Maker Select V2, Plus, Ultimate)X4--Select mini X1, Anycubic photon X4, Wanhao duplicate D7 X1.
iNSTONE Inventor Pro X2, CTC Dual X2, ANET-A8, Hictop 3DP-11, Solidoodle Press, FLSUN I3 2017X1

This video may be helpful in terms of how to loose the belt and put it back, it does not solve the same issue, but working at same parts. If the sound don't goes away after loose the belt, check if any of the cable is scratching the hotend carriage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04UmMDdBG9Y

(Da Vinci 1.0, Jr. 1.0 RAMPS, miniMaker) X4, (Creality CR-10S, CR-10 mini, Ender-3) X4, Anycubic MEGA X4, Anycubic Chrion X1, ADMILAB Gantry X2 (MonoPrice Maker Select V2, Plus, Ultimate)X4--Select mini X1, Anycubic photon X4, Wanhao duplicate D7 X1.
iNSTONE Inventor Pro X2, CTC Dual X2, ANET-A8, Hictop 3DP-11, Solidoodle Press, FLSUN I3 2017X1

4 (edited by Dorion 2017-11-26 22:26:15)

I added a video to my original post.

And you know what, now that I've taken the side covers off, it does sound like it's coming from the left-hand side. I'm going to go through the video you sent me, see if that does it.

Would this cause problems printing? I mean, added friction, seems like it would have the potential to throw things off, but I don't know. All I can say is the last day of attempts have all been early failures.

EDIT: I've updated the original post, but I'm leaving it there for future suckers. You were right again, yizhou, whoever you are (and no, we aren't in on some conspiracy together either, future jerks). It was the left hand gear. As soon as I removed that screw, that actually resolved the noise. I finished the maintenance on it anyway — removed the gear, lubed the two pivot points — and am now successfully running the simple print that has been failing for the past couple days.

So, one more thing for my DaVinci regular maintenance to-do list. I'll say this much: This unit may be a PITA, but all of the problems have been really fixable. Panic-inducing, sure, but I may be a little bit of a fatalist. wink

5 (edited by yizhou.he 2017-11-27 02:44:24)

Dorion wrote:

And you know what, now that I've taken the side covers off, it does sound like it's coming from the left-hand side. I'm going to go through the video you sent me, see if that does it.

Would this cause problems printing? I mean, added friction, seems like it would have the potential to throw things off, but I don't know. All I can say is the last day of attempts have all been early failures.

EDIT: I've updated the original post, but I'm leaving it there for future suckers. You were right again, yizhou, whoever you are (and no, we aren't in on some conspiracy together either, future jerks). It was the left hand gear. As soon as I removed that screw, that actually resolved the noise. I finished the maintenance on it anyway — removed the gear, lubed the two pivot points — and am now successfully running the simple print that has been failing for the past couple days.

So, one more thing for my DaVinci regular maintenance to-do list. I'll say this much: This unit may be a PITA, but all of the problems have been really fixable. Panic-inducing, sure, but I may be a little bit of a fatalist. wink

I think the sound might pass through the vibrating belt and make it sounds like from the right side. But I don't know it before. I use that link just trying to show you how to loose the belt. So you pretty much identified the problem on your own, and I accidentally helped, good job to both of us.

There is no need to Panic, even if you burned the motherboard, you can replace it with RAMPS board for about $30. It is just matter of how many skills you need to learn. Look back a few month, I think you have good understanding of how 3D printer works and learned some advanced maintenance and repair. If you indeed brought that Sindoh 3DWOX, you will still be a newbie in 3D printing but expert in dealing with customer service and packaging your 3D printer. (If burning money is a skill, add that too.)

There is good website with all the terms for failed or unsatisfied print. I believe your problem should result in shifted layers, and this terms will be a lot more helpful in terms of identifying the problem.

https://3dprintingforbeginners.com/trou … -problems/

PS: I do not work for Simplify3D, 3DVerkstan, RepRap, Reddit, Google+, 3D Hubs, 3dprintingforbeginners.com, or any 3D printing software or hardware company that appears in this website. smile

yizhou.he wrote:
Dorion wrote:

I think the sound might pass through the vibrating belt and make it sounds like from the right side. But I don't know it before. I use that link just trying to show you how to loose the belt. So you pretty much identified the problem on your own, and I accidentally helped, good job to both of us.

There is no need to Panic, even if you burned the motherboard, you can replace it with RAMPS board for about $30. It is just matter of how many skills you need to learn. Look back a few month, I think you have good understanding of how 3D printer works and learned some advanced maintenance and repair. If you indeed brought that Sindoh 3DWOX, you will still be a newbie in 3D printing but expert in dealing with customer service and packaging your 3D printer. (If burning money is a skill, add that too.)

There is good website with all the terms for failed or unsatisfied print. I believe your problem should result in shifted layers, and this terms will be a lot more helpful in terms of identifying the problem.

https://3dprintingforbeginners.com/trou … -problems/

PS: I do not work for Simplify3D, 3DVerkstan, RepRap, Reddit, Google+, 3D Hubs, 3dprintingforbeginners.com, or any 3D printing software or hardware company that appears in this website. smile

Unless her mood changed I believe I mentioned changing the mainboard at one point and she said if it got to that point she would throw the printer out if I recall. Hopefully with all the fiddling maybe she has caught the bug and now wants to make it work.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

Did a little search, could not find where she said that. The closest thing is I mentioned Da vinci 1.0 wire harness is problematic and she would rather "list that machine for sale for parts" than "learning electrical wiring just to make this thing go." I think that is totally normal for beginners and have nothing to do with bad mood.

I'm just trying to help her build up confidence, not encourage her to do so. I believe after she gained more experience and confidence, she may willing to try more advanced repairing, if the mainboard did get burned. However, based on question people post on forum. Da Vinci 1.0 board is quite solid, problem usually happens on the wire harness instead of the mainboard.

yizhou.he wrote:

Did a little search, could not find where she said that. The closest thing is I mentioned Da vinci 1.0 wire harness is problematic and she would rather "list that machine for sale for parts" than "learning electrical wiring just to make this thing go." I think that is totally normal for beginners and have nothing to do with bad mood.

I'm just trying to help her build up confidence, not encourage her to do so. I believe after she gained more experience and confidence, she may willing to try more advanced repairing, if the mainboard did get burned. However, based on question people post on forum. Da Vinci 1.0 board is quite solid, problem usually happens on the wire harness instead of the mainboard.

Mood in the context I used simply means how she feels about the machine. It has nothing to do with being bad or good.

It is my understanding that in order to install a RAMPS you also have to redo the wiring which is what she says she does not want to do. Therefore replacing the mainboard would in fact result in replacing or at the very least doing extensive rework on the harness and that is what she said would cause it to be sold. I do have to correct myself as she did not say throw it out the window although at that time I am sure she might have had the thought a few times.

I know I have thought about throwing one out the window a few times. In fact one of my earlier printers I think it was a 3Dmaker Evolution or something like that did go out a second floor window.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.