Topic: the lightest plastic to print with

Between ABS, PETG, HIPS and PCB which would you say gives the same stiffness and rigidity but is the lightest?

Re: the lightest plastic to print with

Hips is not to be used as a finished print. It is a support material that is water soluble. Of the three left, PLA would be most likely the least dense. However your printing technique and infill can play an important role in finished weight.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

HIPS is not water soluble as far as I know, PVA is. HIPS is dissolvable in lemon juice.

I did not include PLA in my list because it is too brittle. But thanks for the information regardless.

4 (edited by carl_m1968 2017-11-11 12:54:59)

Honestly I would use PETG. I use it exclusively. It has the print characteristics of PLA but the hardness of Poly-carbonate. As for their weight, they all weigh roughly the same. A solid cube printed with either of your listed material is going to weight nearly the same. The difference is going to be so small it won't matter. Where you will have weight control is in your outer and inner layer thickness and density of infill.

As for HIPS yes you are correct it is dissolved in Lemonene which is not quite the same as lemon juice. It's actually derived from lemon oil in the lemon skin. But is still meant for a support material that is easily removed and not as a finished product material.

For the sake of your question one needs only consult the MSDS of each material and look at the Density.

For ABS that would be 1.04g/cm^3.

For PETG that would be 1.23g/cm^3.

For PC that would be 1.20g/cm^3.

For HIPS it would be 1.25g/cm^3.

So although very small the lightest would ABS from your list.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

Great answer, thank you.