Topic: What to use for smoothing and gluing PLA?

Hey everyone.  I've never really worked much with PLA before.  I've always used ABS in the past, and would use acetone for smoothing and bonding, etc.   But I just learned the hard way that acetone doesn't work on PLA.   So is there anything else that would work?  For the gluing, I would need to have something capable of filling a small amount of gap space since some of the parts on my current project aren't quite completely flush with each other.

Thanks!

Re: What to use for smoothing and gluing PLA?

If you want to vapor finish PLA, you can use Tetrahydrofuran. But be warned it is a dangerous chemical that makes Acetone seem like water. I would not advise using it inside of a home. If it evaporates it forms explosive peroxides that can detonate simply by touching the powder that is the peroxides. That is the only chemical that will melt PLA. As for gluing, super glue would work and Goop should work as well.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

I use 3d printing pen to glu and fill with exact same filament you used to print the parts. It is very strong and bound is good. You may need some polish if your gluing technique is less than optimal, but it is easy to learn. xyzprinting 3d printing pen on sale at newegg for $15-20

Coating with Epoxy Resins and Paints also works, bound less as well as melted PLA, but good for coating and smooth.

for Chemical Treatments, use Ethyl Acetate (often called M.E.K. substitute) and THF (Tetrahydrofuran).  Both chemicals can be applied as either a controlled vapor or by dipping. Ethyl Acetate is a lot safer than THF, it is basically purified alcohol and vinegar mixture, but you may want to google for best protocol.

(Da Vinci 1.0, Jr. 1.0 RAMPS, miniMaker) X4, (Creality CR-10S, CR-10 mini, Ender-3) X4, Anycubic MEGA X4, Anycubic Chrion X1, ADMILAB Gantry X2 (MonoPrice Maker Select V2, Plus, Ultimate)X4--Select mini X1, Anycubic photon X4, Wanhao duplicate D7 X1.
iNSTONE Inventor Pro X2, CTC Dual X2, ANET-A8, Hictop 3DP-11, Solidoodle Press, FLSUN I3 2017X1

THF is considered a relatively nontoxic solvent, with the median lethal dose (LD50) comparable to that for acetone. Reflecting its remarkable solvent properties, it penetrates the skin, causing rapid dehydration. THF readily dissolves latex and is typically handled with nitrile or neoprene rubber gloves. It is highly flammable.

One danger posed by THF follows from its tendency to form highly explosive peroxides on storage in air.

(Da Vinci 1.0, Jr. 1.0 RAMPS, miniMaker) X4, (Creality CR-10S, CR-10 mini, Ender-3) X4, Anycubic MEGA X4, Anycubic Chrion X1, ADMILAB Gantry X2 (MonoPrice Maker Select V2, Plus, Ultimate)X4--Select mini X1, Anycubic photon X4, Wanhao duplicate D7 X1.
iNSTONE Inventor Pro X2, CTC Dual X2, ANET-A8, Hictop 3DP-11, Solidoodle Press, FLSUN I3 2017X1

I once bought a can of THF for PLA processing. It is also sold as a conformal coating remover in the electronics field. Once I got it I read the MSDS that came with it and I was afraid to open it. As stated if it is allowed to evaporate it forms this crystalline powder that can explode if it is hit with a static spark or other possible ignition sources. It was said it can even be detonated by physical impact. I ended up taking the still sealed can to work with ma and having them store it in their hazardous material locker until their hazmat guy came each month to dispose of such chemicals. I would not advise using it unless you have access to an exhaust hood to vent the vapors and a safe way to dispose of containers that have been contaminated by it.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.