Topic: Why heated acetone for smoothing?

What is it about heating acetone that makes ABS smoothing more efficient/faster? Is it the movement of the vapor?

Before anyone warns me, no, I'm not actually even considering doing it. Nosir, no thank you. I have an idea, though, that might accomplish the same thing more safely. I'm just not 100% sure what the advantageous mechanism is.

Re: Why heated acetone for smoothing?

Heating creates more vapor. I used it cold myself when I worked with ABS. It just makes the process faster. Takes 15 minutes down to 5 or less.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

That also makes sense. What I'm thinking is, I guess, somewhere between the two. I happen to have a lab stirrer in my kitchen. It seems to speed the process up a bit. But I have so little experience, I don't have much to compare to.

Anyway, it's neat to watch. smile I love my little stirrer.

4 (edited by dubbsd 2017-11-09 10:50:25)

This is the method i use it works great. But do it outside.
https://solidoodletips.wordpress.com/20 … -finisher/

Ultimaker S3.

You can also set up an ultrasonic system.
Details on insructables

http://www.instructables.com/id/Ultraso … -Polisher/

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

6 (edited by carl_m1968 2017-11-09 12:57:10)

What I use is a paint can. Mine is about 10 inches deep and about 6 inches in diameter. I line it with  double folded paper towels held in place by small magnetic spheres. I place my object on the lid that has a mesh platform on it. I then pour enough acetone in to the can to moisten the towel but not enough so it drips.

I turn the can upside down and set it on top of the object and lid. Come back about 10 to 15 minutes later and have a vapor finished print. Just don't touch the print right after it comes out as the surface will be soft for a few moments. The vapor literally melts the surface.

Also note this does not work for parts that need to fit together or be fairly precise as the melting action does change the dimensions.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

the few times I have done it, I also have used the cold method as Carl describes... but I have an old pot that I use, with the paper towels stuck on with magnets, over a piece of aluminum plate that I set the part on..

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

8 (edited by Dorion 2017-11-09 18:28:38)

This is great. All these replies, and one actually answered the question I asked. smile That question not being "hey how do I acetone fume?" big_smile

Are any of you using lab-stirrers, though?

Heating the acetone creates more vapor, filling the area more evenly.   The vapor is heavier than air, so it will pool at the bottom creating uneven smoothing.  That is why the cold method uses acetone soaked paper towels, to create a source of vapor at the top of the can since there is no heat to lift it.

I always preferred heating because it requires a dip of 30 seconds or less.  If you want to precisely control the amount of smoothing, you can dip it for a few seconds, let it rest a few minutes (it will continue to smooth as the acetone dries) and then decide if you want to dip it again.  With the can, you have to lift it up and let the vapor out to check the progress.