Topic: freelss does not start after update to 1.26

Dusting off this project after a few months.  Was probably calibration problems and could not get any good scans.

Updated to 1.26 via web UI. Then software would not start.

Used instructions at https://github.com/hairu/freelss  to update manually.  Still wont automatically start.

Tried sudo /usr/local/bin/freelss , got
Unable to determine hardware version. I see : Hardware BCM2835

Looked at downloaded source code, freelss/src/Main.cpp is version 1-11

Done apt-get update & upgrade

The Pi board is the standard board that came with the kit - . Using wired connection to eliminate any wifi issues, and KVM on pi board.

any ideas?  can download new SD card image if that is easiest fix

Thanks in advance

2 (edited by navzptc 2017-11-08 02:15:50)

Re: freelss does not start after update to 1.26

+1 on this error sad

unable to determine hardware etc......

After a bit of googling, I have found a way to get the system up and running again by downgrading the kernel version.

I used:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

then downgraded kernel to ver. 4.4.50 by using:

sudo rpi-update 52241088c1da59a359110d39c1875cda56496764

FreeLSS now runs on startup, and this will do me for now until hairu gives out a better method smile

thanks for the tip, trying it now. 

Looks like the issue is from the wiringPi library that freelss uses. noticed this message, perhaps there is a new wiringpi lib available
- expecting BCM2708 or BCM2709. Please report this to [email protected]

I finally updated to 1.26, and am having this problem too.  Is there any way to start FreeLSS from the command prompt?

The problem is older versions of wiringPi don't work with newer kernels.  The newer versions of wiringPi don't work with older kernels.  I'm still working on a suitable way to make the FreeLSS updates work regardless of kernel version.  In the meantime, if you get the above error, you can use the version of wiringPi already available on the system (if it is installed) by typing the following command.

sudo mv /opt/freelss-1-26/lib/libwiringPi.so /opt/freelss-1-26/lib/libwiringPi.so.bak

If you continue to have problems, you can run the following command to use only the system installed libraries as opposed to those packaged with FreeLSS.

sudo mv /opt/freelss-1-26/lib /opt/freelss-1-26/lib.bak

- Uriah

hairu526 wrote:

The problem is older versions of wiringPi don't work with newer kernels.  The newer versions of wiringPi don't work with older kernels.  I'm still working on a suitable way to make the FreeLSS updates work regardless of kernel version.  In the meantime, if you get the above error, you can use the version of wiringPi already available on the system (if it is installed) by typing the following command.

sudo mv /opt/freelss-1-26/lib/libwiringPi.so /opt/freelss-1-26/lib/libwiringPi.so.bak

If you continue to have problems, you can run the following command to use only the system installed libraries as opposed to those packaged with FreeLSS.

sudo mv /opt/freelss-1-26/lib /opt/freelss-1-26/lib.bak

- Uriah

Uriah,

Stuff like this must drive you crazy!  Thanks for all the great support.