Topic: Davinci Jr. Extruder Fan no power

Just curios if anybody know what controls the extruder fan.  Seems not to be getting a full 12v and is causing the print head to overheat.

Re: Davinci Jr. Extruder Fan no power

Ok, I did the same thing. Some how the fuse is blown and it resides on the motherboard. I re-wired mine to the rear fan so they both run at the same time.

Might do the same thing but also considering ramps conversion.  Have all the components just never did it.

Do you know where on the board the fuse is?  Otherwise I will just rewire the fan.

Sorry, I am not equiped to solder the small components so I sis not bother looking.

test the voltage with multi-meter. it will not be full 12V if the fan is not set to run full, but if you get anything >5V, it should be fine.

First double check if you install the fan in wrong direction after clean a jam. The stock setting is the wind blow towards you, not toward the hot end. Also check if the airway is blocked.

2nd, replace the stock fan with something more powerful, >7500rpm, ideally quieter the stock fan.

(Da Vinci 1.0, Jr. 1.0 RAMPS, miniMaker) X4, (Creality CR-10S, CR-10 mini, Ender-3) X4, Anycubic MEGA X4, Anycubic Chrion X1, ADMILAB Gantry X2 (MonoPrice Maker Select V2, Plus, Ultimate)X4--Select mini X1, Anycubic photon X4, Wanhao duplicate D7 X1.
iNSTONE Inventor Pro X2, CTC Dual X2, ANET-A8, Hictop 3DP-11, Solidoodle Press, FLSUN I3 2017X1

Fan goes up to 8v when on that's it.  Tried 2 fans and bench tested.  Works good so something on the mainboard.

8V is good enough to drive the 12V fan, when the fan is set to 70% by software, it only output 8V to drive the fan. If the fan is powerful enough, 5V should provide enough power to cool the hotend while stay quiet.

if your hotend is overheat, check the air way, air direction, and make sure the nozzle and throat is screwed all the way in. Always screw them in while hot with tools, be careful not get your hand burned.

Assuming you did not mod your Jr. in anyway, correct? stock hotend, stock fan, stock software?

(Da Vinci 1.0, Jr. 1.0 RAMPS, miniMaker) X4, (Creality CR-10S, CR-10 mini, Ender-3) X4, Anycubic MEGA X4, Anycubic Chrion X1, ADMILAB Gantry X2 (MonoPrice Maker Select V2, Plus, Ultimate)X4--Select mini X1, Anycubic photon X4, Wanhao duplicate D7 X1.
iNSTONE Inventor Pro X2, CTC Dual X2, ANET-A8, Hictop 3DP-11, Solidoodle Press, FLSUN I3 2017X1

One other note, make sure that you DO NOT put the fan in blowing on the hotend. If you do you can expect to have belt issues. Like you will melt the belt.

Just used this an excuse to do a ramps conversion. Stripped down the printer and just kept bare minimum number of wires and re-ran them up top. Have an e3d clone and mount I printed a while back. Already have everything mounted and tested. Just need to do the endstops. I did a print by manually homing and it works great.

I have no intention of going back so it was a way way ticket. So cut wired and added all new connectors etc.

Next would be a heated bed. Truth is I was just waiting for an excuse. Opens up so many doors and learned a lot CD-ROM doing this.

Will post pics once I get it cleaned up.

10 (edited by yizhou.he 2017-11-06 22:06:10)

hydronaut wrote:

Just used this an excuse to do a ramps conversion. Stripped down the printer and just kept bare minimum number of wires and re-ran them up top. Have an e3d clone and mount I printed a while back. Already have everything mounted and tested. Just need to do the endstops. I did a print by manually homing and it works great.

I have no intention of going back so it was a way way ticket. So cut wired and added all new connectors etc.

Next would be a heated bed. Truth is I was just waiting for an excuse. Opens up so many doors and learned a lot CD-ROM doing this.

Will post pics once I get it cleaned up.

You will not regret this, I got two of my Jr. converted, my plan is reversible, but I don't want to go back. The print quality is so much better and a lot more options. A little more trouble to fine tune it in the beginning, but once all set, it is very reliable and easy to use afterwards. Not to mention free from trouble to avoid the high cost of xyz filament