1 (edited by Dorion 2017-10-15 04:19:57)

Topic: Need model for right rear bracket.

Hi everyone. Brand new owner, lucked onto a totally unused DaVinci 1.0 at a local estate sale. Already had the interest, so snapped it up. Been testing/learning over the past couple weeks. I see a lot of hacks/customizations for this box, but I'm nowhere near ready for that sort of thing. smile Some day maybe, but I'm taking my time getting up that ramp.

And I've already broken it.

----------
TL;DR: Please see pic. Going to glue it together to try to limp a replacement out of the printer, if someone can point me toward a model. (My ears are also open to any further suggestions/advice.)
----------

Now the long version, in case anyone is searching and looking for a similar solution. Excuse me if my terminology is…imprecise. I’m a rank newb and not ashamed to admit it. smile

During a print today, I noticed the Y axis layers walking backward — every layer was shorter and shorter, toward the back of the cabinet. I went into calibration mode to see how the head was moving, and saw it was stuttering in the Y direction. I got the 0030 error first, but when I reset the machine, I got 0031. After I turned it off and then back on again (the holy maneuver), there were no error messages, but I could see that the little belt in the rear right was loose, keeping the Y direction from traveling correctly.

I removed the right hand cover to see if there was an obvious way to tighten the belt. When I loosened the screws for that motor, something fell out. I tipped the machine toward me, and another broken piece slid out from underneath. I removed one screw and was able to remove the broken bracket by pulling upward. It’s clearly meant to enclose and support the gear for that short belt. Seemed like an obvious diagnosis. (As to how/why it broke, that’s another question.)

Now, if only I had a 3D printer, this would be the perfect use for one!  >:(

I have enough of it that I’m going to super glue it tonight and then tomorrow try to limp it far enough to print a replacement bracket. I know you good people have been tooling this machine for a couple years now, so I’m hoping someone has already modeled this particular piece. I don’t have the skill to do it (yet!).

Please see the attached pic. Honestly, I’m not even sure this unit is precise enough to make a replacement, but again, I’m hoping someone here has already gone through these pains and I can take advantage of that. smile All advice/suggestions/tales of woe are welcome.

-Dorion

http://soliforum.com/i/?3VneJwX.jpg

Re: Need model for right rear bracket.

If I were you I would check thingiverse.com, as if it can be printed you can usually find it out there.

I actually did post there. smile For some reason, I'm on hold for moderation...maybe because it was my first post.

Did not see the picture

(Da Vinci 1.0, Jr. 1.0 RAMPS, miniMaker) X4, (Creality CR-10S, CR-10 mini, Ender-3) X4, Anycubic MEGA X4, Anycubic Chrion X1, ADMILAB Gantry X2 (MonoPrice Maker Select V2, Plus, Ultimate)X4--Select mini X1, Anycubic photon X4, Wanhao duplicate D7 X1.
iNSTONE Inventor Pro X2, CTC Dual X2, ANET-A8, Hictop 3DP-11, Solidoodle Press, FLSUN I3 2017X1

Thanks, I didn't realize I'd attached the image incorrectly. It's at the bottom of the post now.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1271622

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:356284

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:382437

Check which one fits best

(Da Vinci 1.0, Jr. 1.0 RAMPS, miniMaker) X4, (Creality CR-10S, CR-10 mini, Ender-3) X4, Anycubic MEGA X4, Anycubic Chrion X1, ADMILAB Gantry X2 (MonoPrice Maker Select V2, Plus, Ultimate)X4--Select mini X1, Anycubic photon X4, Wanhao duplicate D7 X1.
iNSTONE Inventor Pro X2, CTC Dual X2, ANET-A8, Hictop 3DP-11, Solidoodle Press, FLSUN I3 2017X1

I think this is the one you wanted.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1271622

Hot damn. Okay, I'm lousy at searching. That is absolutely the part.

Also, an update. There are 4 of these brackets, one at each corner. The two in the front are rotated 90° and hold springs. In starting to take the unit apart in prep to replace this bracket, one of the front brackets also broke. Or, more likely, it was already broken, but the tension was holding it in place. Got in with the flashlight, and oh look at that, #3 is also obviously cracked. I can't easily see the 4th one, but I'm willing to bet it's on its way out, too.

You got a new machine, if they all falling apart, there might be a cause. after you assembled the everything with printed part, check the force apply to every end of the rods are balanced and not too tight. imbalanced force of the rods can slowly damage the Bearing holder, generate more noise, and slightly affect your print result.

Thank you. It looks like those supports are notorious for breaking. I mean, 3 of the 4 are already broken, and I just can't see the 4th. I was able to glue two of them back together and get it going to print replacements. In doing so, I have a much better understanding of how the mechanics work, so I hear what you're saying. Happy to say, it seems to be working better than ever... "ever" being the 2 weeks I'd had it before this. smile

I would replace all four of them just for the sake of consistency, grease the rod well and print a tall object and compare z-banding on x-axis direction and y-axis direction, and you will know which axis need more adjustment. Compare with our old prints and you know it working better than ever smile

I usually print out backup parts when printer still working, including E3D mounting and stuff breaks a lot. Still waiting for my hot end to break to do the bowden conversion.