1 (edited by jean 2017-10-14 13:21:48)

Topic: SD2 with a MWS Gen 1.4

Hello everybody,

Few weeks ago I decided to use my SD2 again. last time I had tried the temp was too low and I didn't find why but probably a problem with the motherboard.

So this time I thaught that it would be easy to buy a MKS Gen 1.4, plug everything, do some fine tuning and that's it !

Seems I was wrong and I am stuck in the very early stages of this project.

Have have about a thousand of questions but to start with the obvious ones :

1. is it possible to plug an mks gen 1.4 on an SD2 ?
2. if yes, is there a wiki or a thread somewhere I could get help from ?

Thanx

jean

Re: SD2 with a MWS Gen 1.4

yes it is possible, but you will need to adjust the firmware to suit that board. It is not a simple "plug it in and go" swap.

Sorry I do not know of any threads, or wikis, on that particular set-up.

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

Thank you.

I'll try and i'll give update if I manage to do something.

biggest thing is to make sure the correct board is specified in the firmware.

also, make sure the endstops are correctly configured, and plugged in to the correct places on the board...

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater

Thank you.

I have choosen 33 for the motherboard.

One questions about the hardware :

Included with the motherboard, there were some A4988 stepper drivers.
Do you think I should re-use the Pololu that were on the sanguinololu board or use the A4988 ? The pins seems to be in the same order.

Included with the motherboard, there were some A4988 stepper drivers.
Do you think I should re-use the Pololu that were on the sanguinololu board or use the A4988 ? The pins seems to be in the same order.

I think that would be a matter of preference. Either set of chips should work.

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

yup, either set would most likely work...

use the ones that came with it for now... you can always change them out later if needed.

This may help 

http://osoyoo.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/DBGD100200%E4%BF%AE%E6%94%B9-2.jpg

http://marlinfw.org/docs/basics/introduction.html

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed

Thanks.

The motherboard I baught is this one :

http://soliforum.com/i/?4ATYhQa.jpg

I have attach (temporary fixing) the MKS Gen v1.4 to the printer.

http://soliforum.com/i/?SxTmtue.jpg

Things seems ok up to here :

start
echo:Marlin1.0.0
echo: Last Updated: Oct 14 2017 17:38:09 | Author: Adrian/Lawsy/Rincewind/Tealvince
Compiled: Oct 14 2017
echo: Free Memory: 4989  PlannerBufferBytes: 1232
echo:Hardcoded Default Settings Loaded
echo:Steps per unit:
echo:  M92 X88.00 Y88.00 Z2268.00 E138.00
echo:Maximum feedrates (mm/s):
echo:  M203 X500.00 Y500.00 Z5.00 E45.00
echo:Maximum Acceleration (mm/s2):
echo:  M201 X1200 Y1200 Z100 E10000
echo:Acceleration: S=acceleration, T=retract acceleration
echo:  M204 S1000.00 T1000.00
echo:Advanced variables: S=Min feedrate (mm/s), T=Min travel feedrate (mm/s), B=minimum segment time (ms), X=maximum XY jerk (mm/s),  Z=maximum Z jerk (mm/s),  E=maximum E jerk (mm/s)
echo:  M205 S0.00 T0.00 B20000 X20.00 Z0.40 E5.00
echo:Home offset (mm):
echo:  M206 X0.00 Y0.00 Z0.00
echo:PID settings:
echo:   M301 P15.44 I0.51 D116.62

The only thing : I did not find where to plug the LED strip.

Now a very stupid question : How do I test it ? With wich software ?

And before testing with a printing software, I'd liked to be able to send direct orders from the arduino serial monitor to test it. How could I ask the printer to go to a certain x,y,z coordinate for example ?

Thank you for your help !

Jean

That is what manual mode in Repiteir host is for
A good place to start is by typing an m119 in the command line to test end stops then you can use a g0 command with numbers to  check x,y,z

yup, use Repetier Host to manually control movements.

Repetier does not care what board is attached, as long as things are set up correctly, it should work just fine.

Looking at your connections, you may need to move the endstops for X & Y - they are currently in the MIN positions... SD used MAX..

Thank you!

After installing Repieter, i had to configure it.

Then I did some testings, with GCODES.

The first problem was the endstops wireing :
1. the wireing is different from the sanguinololu for endstops : sangui => GND/5V/pin, MKS => 5V/GND/PIN
2. I had to bypass the entries for the max values because without that they were said to be TRIGERED

Now I am facing a problem I can't solve :

The X and Y axis are inverted, and even when say it in the configuration they still go to the wrong way. I don't understand why. When I do  M114, i get : X:0.00 Y:0.00 Z:0.00 E:0.00 Count X: 0.00 Y:0.00 Z:0.00

It can be a bit daunting there are  firmware settings host settings and slicer settings they all need to match and when they do not weird things happen.

heartless, i did not see your message when posting. You are right, X and Y endstops have to be on the max not on the min. The other have to be bypassed (GND/PIN).

As for the wrong way X and Y moves I still have no clue (except that is maybe the right way)

Here is the configuration which for the moment makes sens :

http://soliforum.com/i/?7quvLUU.jpg

The Invert X and Invert Y buttons do not change anything (at least anything I can see)

With this configuration, after hitting the Home button M114 gives :

X:205.00 Y:200.00 Z:0.00 E:0.00 Count X: 205.00 Y:200.00 Z:0.00

and M119 :

Reporting endstop status
x_min: open
x_max: TRIGGERED
y_min: open
y_max: TRIGGERED
z_min: TRIGGERED
z_max: open

I will continue to check the different functions and will come back to give some news and probably ask for more help wink

Thank you all!

The Invert X and Invert Y buttons do not change anything (at least anything I can see)

With this configuration, after hitting the Home button M114 gives :

X:205.00 Y:200.00 Z:0.00 E:0.00 Count X: 205.00 Y:200.00 Z:0.00

and M119 :

Reporting endstop status
x_min: open
x_max: TRIGGERED
y_min: open
y_max: TRIGGERED
z_min: TRIGGERED
z_max: open

I will continue to check the different functions and will come back to give some news and probably ask for more help wink

Thank you all!

this looks correct to me (the X:205 is set in the firmware, btw)

why things are inverted, I do not know, but, I am not a firmware guru by any means.
hopefully someone else with more knowledge of these things can step in and help out.

17 (edited by jean 2017-10-30 15:58:13)

Some (good) news !

I have finished to attach the board to the printer and started some testing.

To resume, what were the important points I went through :

0. I used the https://github.com/ozadr1an/Solidoodle- … in_v1_beta firmware. Not sure that was the best choice

1. Buy some XH-4P, XH-3P and HX-2P female connectors to be able to plug things correctly on the board

2. endstops are plugged differently on the sanguilolu (GND/5V/PIN) and the MKS gen 1.4 (5V/GND/PIN). It has to be plugged GND/PIN

3. X and Y endstops have to be on the max not on the min. Bypass the other endstops. They probably can be desactivated through the firmware but as I am not sure if there are not some side effect, at least it works like this.

4. On the firmware side :

4.a. on Configuration.h I changed :
#define MOTHERBOARD 33
#define SOLIDOODLE_VERSION 2
#define INVERT_E0_DIR true

The extruder stepper was going the wrong way as the X and Y stepper. I did not change the X and Y direction because it seems to create other problem with the rest of the firmaware behavior.

4.b. on the pins.h I changed line 601
#define HEATER_0_PIN       10   // EXTRUDER 1
There is a strange coding here on this version of the firmware between line 598 et 602 ...

5. on the cufiguration in reperter I have put X home at 155, Y home at 150

I did some testing with PLA slicing with Cura and printing with repeiter. It is far from being perfect I need to do some fine tuning. I probably will need some help with the basic configuration for PLA. I have tried different things for adherence, the only one that worked until now is the masking tape ...

http://soliforum.com/i/?9twsohJ.jpg

Great to hear that you have it up and running. smile

if masking tape helped with adhesion, you do not have the bed close enough to the nozzle. Very common issue.

what kinds of temps are you running?
Have you properly calibrated your feed rate?
looks like you may need to adjust the vref as well..