Re: silicon rubber heater bed -120 Deg celsius in 1 minute

I was concerned that with the bulge I would risk cracking my glass at some point so I crafted AL Foil Shim w/ a relief cutout for  the bulge and it worked wonderfully.  The shim added to my overall heating time, but the foil also serves as pretty dang good conductor so it keeps the heat retained for me while I swap the glass plates...so I consider that project at this point a + time saved overall. 

It was easy to craft...just lay folded squared (10-20 sheets at a time [took about 100 layers to get it flat]) make a indent around the perimeter as well as the bulge's square with something like your fingernail, then just trim off the excess from each set of sheets with scissors.  You end up with near perfect squares to place on the plate.  I topped that with a plate of glass and then wrapped it all in Kapton to compress...

That's a pretty good idea.  I did notice a couple of spots on my glass bed that were not quite heating up as much as others.  Upon closer examination I some small areas where the glass does not come in complete contact with the glass.  My wife is picking up some silicone baking sheets at the store today, which we'll cut to size and underlay the silicone heating element.

I'll post again with how it goes.  But overall, I'm very pleased with the results.

Im finding this thread pretty interesting seems the standard heater takes its time to get to temperature. can someone post some pictures of how they are mounting the new heater?

Just finished up with the silicone spacers.  My wife found some excellent silicone sheeting at Target.  Only $10 and enough to do all of our printers.  As a bonus, it's even the right color!  Cut out notches for the bulged area in the back of the heating bed, took 2 layers to get everything flush.

Post's attachments

IMAG0088.jpg
IMAG0088.jpg 1.2 mb, 5 downloads since 2012-12-03 

IMAG0089.jpg 1.11 mb, 3 downloads since 2012-12-03 

IMAG0090.jpg
IMAG0090.jpg 1.44 mb, 4 downloads since 2012-12-03 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

How long does that take to heat up?

NICENICE!!!  Going to go grab so of those sheets now!

Setting the extruder to 200C and the bed to 100C, starting them at the same time: it takes only about a minute longer for the bed to reach 100C after the extruder has reached 200C. 

I almost don't know what to do with myself now.  I used to be able to go make myself a sandwich, eat it, and come back and still wait for a few minutes to start my print.

Kyle that sounds really encouraging. Can't wait to get my power supply now.

The sheets shaved another 5 min off my heating time...also discovered my thermistor was cracked in half oops...it was working before so idk...glad I have a couple backups.

I have done the same now and the heating times are much better, although I had to play around with the bed temp as before if i set the bed to 100 it would reach about 93 but when printing it would sit at about 87 and the parts would come out fine. Now I have the new heater, if i set the bed to 100 it actually reaches 100 and caused the prints to "mush". Just thought I would let anyone know that's in the process of doing this mod as it had me confused for a while.

Has anyone considered using one of those silicone sheets to print on? Obviously they can handle higher temps. Just lay one on the print bed potentially with some sort of adhesive.

SD2
E3D V6
MK5 V6

I would not print on the silicone HB directly...I had some small chunks come off just by gently peeling off that kapton I had got on it before I moved to SR baking sheets vs AL foil. (I will try to print on one of these for you this morning and let you know what happens)

I hadn't considered printing directly on to silicone baking sheet.  I'm pretty happy with the smooth bottom layer from printing on to glass.

I had a crazy thought the other day, from watching Mike's electric stuff on youtube. Take a heat mat to a vet's, ask them to do an x-ray on it, as low power as possible, or a range of exposures. Then you should be able to see the heating elements within the matt.

With a bit of luck, there might be enough space to drill/punch through the matt to allow it to be mounted under the aluminium plate, with the bolts going through it, with washers for the springs.

Lead Programmer & Co-Owner of Camshaft Software - Creators of Automation - The Car Company Tycoon Game

you can see the heat element thru the silicon pad with a good light... you don't need x-ray wink

ysb wrote:

you can see the heat element thru the silicon pad with a good light... you don't need x-ray wink

Ahh, that's cool. It looked quite opaque in the pictures I have seen.

Lead Programmer & Co-Owner of Camshaft Software - Creators of Automation - The Car Company Tycoon Game

67 (edited by RGargus 2012-12-24 21:14:57)

jefferysanders wrote:

My relay ( http://goo.gl/iOPSX ) has only 4 terminals total.  MY PSU http://goo.gl/12xSa. - 10AMP 12v.

I am quite novice (first time really) at EE, so any and all help is greatly appreciated.

edited 11/13/2012 - https://www.youtube.com/user/CrydomSSR  (ssr educational series)

A word of caution on using solid state relays to control your bed heater.  If they are SCR or TRIAC based (very likely) they are designed to handle AC current only, and once you turn them on, will not shut down if you are using DC current.  In other words, as your controller turns them on, the heating element will begin to heat, and when it reachs temperature, and the controller tries to turn them off, they will continue to heat until power is removed from them.

Indeed, solid state relays can float.  I wired mine in between the power supply and the wall outlet.

I (finally) spent some time on this yesterday, and was very pleased with the results. My method so far:

• Upgraded power supply to 12V 12 amp (linked earlier in the thread).

• Replaced power terminals on electronics to larger screw terminal (highly recommended, no more slipping out).

• Replaced bed connector on electronics to screw terminal (should be safer and more reliable).

• Soldered on jumper leads as discussed in other thread.

• Bought a connector compatible with stock thermistor plug and crimped/soldered it onto the silicone mat thermistor wires.

• Copied and pasted thermistor table (for this thermistor) into firmware found googling and uploaded firmware

• Ran bed PID autotune, recorded numbers and set the firmware with PID bed heating and these values

I am using the standard inbuilt mosfet, with the jumper leads and new terminals to prevent it gettng too hot. I googled the part number and it was rated plenty high for this application. So far it hasn't even gotten too hot to touch, even at full load. With my cooled electronics cover in place, this should be 100% reliable and safe. No solid state relay or extra wiring needed!

With the new terminals for the bed, I can swap the electrical connections for the new and old heater/thermistor in about a minute.

Leaving the thermistor setting at 6 in the firmware was very inaccurate. Firmware was reporting about 40-50 degrees BELOW what recorded IR temperature ie. 50 vs 90. Thermistor table from internet was much better, about 10 degrees off at lower temps but within a few around 100.

Band bang control with the new bed was no good. Since it heats so quickly, a 5 second cycle had it shooting above the target and then dropping below in the next cycle. Reducing the cycle to three seconds was better, but switching to PID was improved again and highly recommended.

I've yet to finalise the physical mounting of the bed, but am planning to have a thin metal plate underneath it with holes for the bed height screws, and a recess for the thicker part where the wires feed in to the silicone. I might even use the standard aluminium plate for this.

One thing I want is glass to print on, but I will get it cut 150 x 170 so that it extends over the mat 10mm at the front and back. I'm planning on printing some nice quick release clips so that I still have the full printing area but the glass panels can be swapped out easily.

I'll do a full write up with pics when it's sorted but in the mean time here is a teaser image of the heating up in Repetier. New power supply for both, standard setup for the lower line, silicone bed sitting on top of standard bed with cast iron soldering helper on top to add a bit of thermal mass. As you can see it goes from low 30s to 100 in under 2 minutes!

http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/5498/00performancegraph.jpg

Kyle Ward wrote:

Indeed, solid state relays can float.  I wired mine in between the power supply and the wall outlet.

This btw, also addresses another problem.  Switching supplies do not like to run unloaded.  By switching the supply on and off instead of switching the load on and off, you eliminate the possible need of a full time load wired in parallel to yoru heating element.

71 (edited by jefferysanders 2012-12-26 14:03:16)

"A word of caution on using solid state relays to control your bed heater.  If they are SCR or TRIAC based (very likely) they are designed to handle AC current only, and once you turn them on, will not shut down if you are using DC current.  In other words, as your controller turns them on, the heating element will begin to heat, and when it reachs temperature, and the controller tries to turn them off, they will continue to heat until power is removed from them."  I was sold and bought a DC-DC SSR, I am not sure of its specific tech, but once I had it wired in correctly I haven't had a single problem. I would prefer the most simplified solution so...

I don't get close to 2 min heating times so, I will just do what Lawsy has done and use the on-board Mosfet for switching...It's a great idea to increase the capacity of those traces,  I have seen it suggested several times on RepRap forums as well so it is a very good fix to a common issue.

I missed that MAKE reviewed the QU-BD mat on the 11th.

Question for Lawsy. The jumpers mentioned in your post. Did you add the jumpers between the adjacent +12V and -V pads for the bed connector? Want to be sure before doing it.

I've been pondering about how I am going to go about building Dan's nichrome wire heat bed setup. Basically my own ghetto silicone heat mat on the cheap, and for fun. I know the silicone matt is cheap, but I don't have a spare power supply with quite that much current sitting around, and the parts to build my own will be about $20-$30, as I have most other things lying around.

My current plan is:

I have a sheet of this on order, to create my own silicone "bread" for the nichrome wire sandwich. I have a spare universal power supply for a laptop, that can supply 100 watts (5amp max) at various voltages. To get near my full 100 watts, I will have to run it near it's highest setting at 20v. So the math says I need 4 ohm's of resistance in my nichrome heater wire circuit. I may do 24v and lower current, as that is the highest setting the power supply can do, and lower current is always nicer.

I am then going to make a simple circuit board, using an IRF1405 N-Channel Mosfet (55V, 169 amp used in automotive applications), to do the switching for me, and have it's own pins from the laptop psu. Link the grounds of both PSU's together, and using a couple of high (I am thinking 6k ohm) resistors to make a voltage divider circuit taking the output from the stock mosfet to control the new mosfet, and reducing the current flow through the stock mostfet down into the mA.

My plan is that final heat mat should be very thin, around 1mm thick, have it placed between the glass and the original alu bed like a shim, and use the stock thermistor.

Sounds about right Caswal smile one thing you may want to try is setup the laptop supply you have with a test load and see how well it performs with only one set of taps being loaded (24v) just to make sure it will work without needing a load on the 12 or 5v sides and also to make sure it will sustain a draw of the planned wattage. If if doesn't like only having the 24v drawn sometimes you can put just a menial load on the other taps like a LED with a limiting resistor on it. smile