Topic: Makerbot replicator 2x hotbed problems

Hi all, I've been using my makerbot for about a year now when suddenly it died on me during a print. Everything just went black, and flipping the power switch did nothing. I managed to bring it back by unplugging it, waiting, and plugging it in again. Now it does the same thing every time it tries to heat the bed. If I run a print without heating the bed, it executes everything as it should, but as soon as it tries to heat the bed everything goes black.
Is something shorted in the bed heater? I checked all the connections to the main board and they seem fine

Re: Makerbot replicator 2x hotbed problems

I'd suspect the PSU itself.  Sounds like a cold solder joint to me.  The bad joint works right up until the extra current demands of the bed heater are applied.  At this point the solder heats up until connection is lost.  Then when power is turned off the solder cools and re establishes the connection.  Your options would be to try and fix it or use the opportunity to upgrade to a better, much higher rated PSU.  30amps would be the minimum recommendation.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

I have a CTC clone of the Replicator 2 and the power supply is a 24 volt supply in my clone so I would guess the supply in the Replicator 2 is 24 as well. I would see what the current rating on the existing supply is and get one with more current capacity if possible. The on in my clone is 14.6 amps. Since the voltage is double the standard printer supply of 12 volts, the current is half of the standard which is 30. I would look for a supply capable of 24 volts and 15 amps minimum but 20 amps or higher if possible.

This one is the exact same one that is in my clone.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mean-Well-NES-3 … Sw42dZJFLm

If you wanted to bump up the current some, this one would do very well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mean-Well-SE-60 … Sw4GVYUcpF

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

Thanks for the replies! The local electronics shop has a power supply just like the one you linked to, so I'll pick one up this week. So the bed heater just draws that much more than the extruders? Because both extruders will run without the bed on, but running the bed even without the extruders on is a no-go

Yep, extruder heaters run anywhere from 25-40 watts (depends on cartridge).  Assume 40 times 2 is 80 watts max.  Your bed heater will run at minimum 110 watts.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions