Topic: Simplify3d. What a mess!

Hi all. After being told repeatedly how amazing simplify3d is, and how much of a difference it makes to printing, I decided to treat myself to it.

What a Blimmin mess!!!

The default settings meant that the first layer never adheres properly, and if by magic you do get beyond the first layer, the stringing is diabolical!!!

So I've been having a play and have managed to solve a few of the issues. Increasing retraction etc. But i was wondering if anyone knows what settings the default xyz slicing software uses? So I could use that as a start point and work from there?

2 (edited by mjf55 2017-09-24 13:57:00)

Re: Simplify3d. What a mess!

So I have a file you can look at.  It is my notes from decompiling the current version of XYZware.  Can't promise these are all of them, but it enabled me to get a good working CURA profile.

EDIT - cura profile was not readable

Post's attachments

XYZ-Decompile.txt 7.95 kb, 18 downloads since 2017-09-24 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Thank you! That's exactly what I was looking for.

Just had to abandon yet another print because the top didn't meet the edges and the infill was so weak. Oh well. I have 12 more days to get this right, or get a refund!

Good luck.  If you need help deciphering the code snippets, let me know.  I cal also post an image of my cura settings if you like.

first, assuming you can print normally with XYZware 
first layer never adheres properly just by switch to Simplify3d, simplest explaination is default z-offset setting for Simplify3d is not optimal. your nozzle is too far away (high) from your print bed. Try increase your z-offset so that your print bed is closer to your nozzle. Depend on the version of Simplify3d, it may not able to read z-offset setting from Jr. by default.

(Da Vinci 1.0, Jr. 1.0 RAMPS, miniMaker) X4, (Creality CR-10S, CR-10 mini, Ender-3) X4, Anycubic MEGA X4, Anycubic Chrion X1, ADMILAB Gantry X2 (MonoPrice Maker Select V2, Plus, Ultimate)X4--Select mini X1, Anycubic photon X4, Wanhao duplicate D7 X1.
iNSTONE Inventor Pro X2, CTC Dual X2, ANET-A8, Hictop 3DP-11, Solidoodle Press, FLSUN I3 2017X1

Before I had the extract mjf55 kindly provided, I found that the issues with the first layer seemed to be two fold. First, it was set to print at 100% speed, second, there was no temperature split. So it printed all layers at 190 degrees. I amended these items and the Base layer started sticking fine. I haven't had a chance to go through the provided file, but I can already see some improvements. To stop the stringing, I changed the retraction length from 2mm to 8mm which worked but was just a guess. The provided file suggests a setting of 4mm is optimal, so I'll set that. Then there items like overlap which are totally wrong in simplify3d, but again I can get from the file.

I gotta admit. For £115 I'm slightly annoyed I'm having to do this all myself, but I suppose it's a learning curve. When I get a setting that works well, maybe I'll offer to sell it back to them! ;-)

PeppermintGreen wrote:

Before I had the extract mjf55 kindly provided, I found that the issues with the first layer seemed to be two fold. First, it was set to print at 100% speed, second, there was no temperature split. So it printed all layers at 190 degrees. I amended these items and the Base layer started sticking fine. I haven't had a chance to go through the provided file, but I can already see some improvements. To stop the stringing, I changed the retraction length from 2mm to 8mm which worked but was just a guess. The provided file suggests a setting of 4mm is optimal, so I'll set that. Then there items like overlap which are totally wrong in simplify3d, but again I can get from the file.

I gotta admit. For £115 I'm slightly annoyed I'm having to do this all myself, but I suppose it's a learning curve. When I get a setting that works well, maybe I'll offer to sell it back to them! ;-)

Regardless of the printer model we have all had to dial in certain settings in S3D to get what we call perfect prints. 3D printing is not a plug and play hobby regardless of the machine or software used and regardless of what said manufacturers promise. Once dialed in though S3D works better than most other free software out there. It's main advantage is the support settings and freedom.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

8 (edited by yizhou.he 2017-09-25 02:05:31)

I'm big fan of cura, check out the latest version, works well for me and lots of plugins support and programming friendly. You can easily write a script to interface with it. Fully supported by repetitor server.

Major cons is don't support Jr. by default, you need threedub to use it with XYZware or convert Jr. to RAMPS.

Although XYZware have many imperfections, it is one of the easiest slicing software I have seem so far. If it works for you, I would not recommend you to switch to anything else. The point of 3D printing is to be able to design stuff and print it into reality. If you don't have specific problem, don't mess with machine or software. Just downloaded or design and print.

There is no end in terms of optimize fine tune and upgrade you machine or software, once you get into that, there is no end, and you found your machine is in middle of upgrade as always and you have not been focus on the actual design for a long time.

So, if it didn't break, don't fix it, don't upgrade unless you absolutely need it. If it is broken or you definitely need some upgrade to achieve your design, go ahead, because whatever happens, you have no choice and you will not regret it. If stick to this rule, you are less likely to be distracted away from your designing in to the black hole of upgradeing.

(Da Vinci 1.0, Jr. 1.0 RAMPS, miniMaker) X4, (Creality CR-10S, CR-10 mini, Ender-3) X4, Anycubic MEGA X4, Anycubic Chrion X1, ADMILAB Gantry X2 (MonoPrice Maker Select V2, Plus, Ultimate)X4--Select mini X1, Anycubic photon X4, Wanhao duplicate D7 X1.
iNSTONE Inventor Pro X2, CTC Dual X2, ANET-A8, Hictop 3DP-11, Solidoodle Press, FLSUN I3 2017X1