Topic: SD3 flexion head - anyone done it?

Hi all,

seems I cant get the old SD3 to print TPU very well. So i bought a flexion extruder.
So after talking to Flexion, they suggested I buy their standard head (not the E3D head).

Has anyone fitted one of these to a Solidoodle (or similar) before? any tips or pics? Searching here and google is giving me a lot of noise, no real clear answers.

Cheers,
Tommy

Re: SD3 flexion head - anyone done it?

What kind of answers are you looking for?
Mounting options?
Hot End options?
Assembly questions?
Specific types of filament and settings?

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

has anyone fitted a flexion extruder? and what issues did you face? and can you offer pics or help?
I dont know how to be more specific

mounting options i guess.

MajorTob wrote:

mounting options i guess.

On a Stock SD3 carriage?

3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL

yes everything is completely stock on the old SD3.
Im picking the flexion kit up tonight so i apologise for not having any hand on knowledge of it yet.
I understand its quite a different type of head, and Im not afraid of modifying the printer at all.
except its worth noting the stock etruder is in pieces at the moment.

wardjr, Im visualising you face-palming over my n00b questions. Thanks for being patient

No worries, we were all noobs at one point. 

Once it arrives let's sort through your mounting options.  It's just such a revamp to mount it that I've not seen any on the stock carriage.  Most utilize the opportunity to switch over to linear bearings at the same time.  And that is a whole other can of worms.
But for a stock carriage you could pick up a standard NEMA 17 plate mount and figure a way to bolt it up pretty simply.

I've never even heard of a flexion.  I just run TPU through my stock SD4 extruder, with a Hobb Goblin on it

knowack wrote:

I've never even heard of a flexion.  I just run TPU through my stock SD4 extruder, with a Hobb Goblin on it

Really?  They've been around for a while now.  For a direct drive with no gear reduction it is one of the best.   The hobb they use isn't my favorite and the cam design is neat.  It doesn't do real well with inconsistent filament but that's easy to deal with.  I particularly like the brush wheel but we all know that's really only needed when something else is wrong.  But nice none the less.

The stock SD3 head kinda worked for TPU. Not reliable enough though, i need to do quite large prints and the chances of failure are to high. plus the flexion does softer TPE and even that crazy soft x60 filament.
It has its draw backs, the major one being it doesnt like PLA very much... the gear is quite deep and tends bind up PLA. good review here.
https://youtu.be/I0kFA9OIJL0

I had intended this to be the only major mod to this old SD3, maybe some more minor mods to come but its really just a going to be semi-retired soft filament only machine.
Im looking into getting a new 3D printer for everyday ABS and PLA work if this head really does struggle with them.

Ok, Ill have the Flexion in a few hours, then ill post pics of what the kit came with and see what we can brainstorm.

Ok so here is the unwrapping.
http://soliforum.com/i/?ePKFngZ.jpg

you can see the difference between the stock and new hot end.
http://soliforum.com/i/?3vhn2w1.jpg

disassembled, it looked like i could screw the flexion nozel and barrel into the stock heater block. tacky but could work. Turns out its different thread.
http://soliforum.com/i/?4u8f2fO.jpg

and just for curiosity, here a pic of me holding the flexion drive roller, vs the stock SD3 one.
http://soliforum.com/i/?JX77KDP.jpg

so now it seem apparent that I need a different heater core, and temp sensor. Can anyone else spot anything I may of missed?

modders with a Prusa printers just used the stock heater (12V 40W) , so for $3 Im going to get one. The SD3 can handle 40watt heater yeah?
And as far as temp sensor goes, just fit the stock sensor under the silicon on the flexion block. should be good enough right? might give it a few go arounds with some kapton tape to be sure.

After taking a quick trip to "3D printer superstore" in melbourne, they hooked me up with a 12v 40w heater cartridge to fit the block for au$9. any locals should check that place out, lots of cool toys and knowledgeable guys.

Anyway, good news! its all fitted up! just bolted on exactly how the Diabase tutorials said it should except i need to make a bracket to mount the stepper and extruder to the carriage. then test it all out. tomorrow job. ill keep you all posted. but if anyone spots something i've overlooked please holler out!

haha well damn. anyone else see a problem with this?
Guess i should of used a E3D model...
http://soliforum.com/i/?c7Iczli.jpg

16 (edited by IronMan 2017-09-18 12:59:47)

E3D might work unless you design a whole new carriage unit...

SD2 - Stock - Enclosure - Heated Bed - Glass Plate - Auto Fire Extinguisher
Ord Bot Hadron - RAMPS 1.4 - Bulldog XL - E3D v6 - 10" x 10" PCB Heated Build w/SSR - Glass Plate
Thanks for All of Your Help!

Thanks Ironman. Today has been a steep, and slightly embarrassing learning curve for sure.
I've already fired off an email to flexions only Australian distributor. Hope he can help.

It happens to us all. Thats the learning process. Trial and error till its right

Sd4 #9080 with a glass bed. E3d chimera duel extruder. Paste extruder , duet wifi.
Lawsy carriages. linear bearings. Y axis direct drive, Kinect scanner
SD4#8188 glass bed, lawsly carriages, E3d v6, octoprint http://www.ustream.tv/channel/hotrod96z28
Filastruder/filawinder, Custom Delta 300mm x 600mm

Good opportunity to upgrade to an E3d Volcano it is taller than the regular V6 model.  Not certain how it would mate up with the Flexion though.