Topic: Possibe heated bed wiring upgrade?

Since electronics arent my strong point I figured someone smarter on here can confirm if this will work.  I read you can forgo the connector for the heated bed on the board and use the terminal on the mosfet as the ground and connect the power directly to the power supply.  I do have a 12V 20A power supply with screw terminals so this wouldnt be difficult at all.  I read this on nopheads instructions for the mendel90 for use with the sanguinololu.

"The bed is connected directly to the +ve rail of the PSU and the tab of the MOSFET with a ring terminal to avoid the underrated connector on the PCB. "

shown in the picture below.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-x-XkpKpQ9cI/T … G_0566.jpg

my plan was to upgrade the heated bed and if I can do it this way it would avoid any extra parts to make it work.

Re: Possibe heated bed wiring upgrade?

most mosfet's have the 'tab' and the source connected and I think this one will handle 55A but you still have the drain going through the pc board which will now be the weak link... so how many more amps were you going to have flowing to the bed?

I was planning on putting a qu-bd silicone heated bed on which is 11.5A

4 (edited by Wavesurf 2013-03-13 23:49:33)

I'm using the method you described with the QU bd silicon heater bed.  No problems with the one side on the 12v source power supply and the other on the tab.