Topic: Solidoodle 2 hot end more trouble than its worth

I've been trying to get my Solidoodle 2 up and printing with less than stellar results.  I've had the machine for a while now but am just getting to it, other than that it's brand new.

The first issue that needs to be addressed it the hot end. So far I haven't been able to complete a print longer than 10 min before it jams.  I've tried cleaning it just short of the blow torch method  to no real help. 

The solution is relatively simple and after a bit of reading looks like an e3d  hot end will sort it out. That leads me into problem #2  with no way to print out a mk 5 mount. Hopefully I can buy one some where or have made.

Then I will need to upgrade the FW, possibly power supply, and calibration ect.. to get it all working propperly. It all sounds relatively simple enough but the fact remains 3d printing is still a bit above my head with many mountains left to climb.

Does anyone think I've left anything out? A bit of advise would also be appreciated as this stuff is still a bit out of my league.

Re: Solidoodle 2 hot end more trouble than its worth

Find everything you need.

https://www.printitindustries.com/

This is a site a few of us here started to help users just like yourself. 

The SD2 can be a great little machine with a few simple mods and proper calibration.  Ask lots of questions.  There are a lot of experts here willing to help.  Spend some time looking at the WIKI and check out the STICKY topics that relate to your printer.

Welcome to Soliforum

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

You should be able to to mount an aero and be done with it  you will need an approx 2mm thick shim.
And yes you do need to mod the firmware to  change max temp and adjust for a thermisistor. There are folk  here that can talk you through.

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

wardjr wrote:

Find everything you need.

https://www.printitindustries.com/

This is a site a few of us here started to help users just like yourself. 

The SD2 can be a great little machine with a few simple mods and proper calibration.  Ask lots of questions.  There are a lot of experts here willing to help.  Spend some time looking at the WIKI and check out the STICKY topics that relate to your printer.

Welcome to Soliforum

Thank you for the link, it looks like a one stop for the parts I need to get this thing going nicely.

A quick update on my progress with this machine. Today I cleaned up some of the wiring and added a disconnect plug to the power supply. I also checked out the power supply amperage. It looks like I will be getting a new one along with the e3dv6 hot end.

I also worked on the OEM hot end and jig saw to see if I could get some prints of the new parts needed for the upgrades I have planned. If that doesn't work out I will just order some up. I cleaned everything in the hot end and disassembled it and the jigsaw. While I was getting everything cleaned up I made a few mods to the assembly to get it all aligned, squared up and make disassembly easier.

Last up for the day was getting the firmware updated, which went off with out a hitch via the guides on the wiki. This was one of the areas I thought I was going to get caught up on. Past experience with FW updates has bricked a few projects of mine with no solutions.

I still need to do some calibration and adjustments before I'm ready to print again. Hopefully I can be up and going again in the next day or two.

Still on the to do list;
Provisions for spool holder on top
Replace mxl X, Y belts with braided line
Power switch for power supply
Mk6 extruder if my hot end holds up long enough
E3dv6 hot end
Power supply

There will be other parts as well, but that covers what I think it will take to get it going for the time being.

Sounds like a great plan to move forward.

3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL

All the cleaning to the factory hot end and dealing with the acrylic jigsaw was to no avail. I still can't get a whole print out of it with out the extruder jamming up. So I ordered up the parts I need from printit industries and hopefully I will be able to print some things soon.

This round of mods will include;
E3dv6 12v
Mk6 extruder
Hobb goblin
Supernight 12v power supply

I have all those except the Mk6.  Quite happy with the results!

-Kevin

Ro@drunner wrote:

All the cleaning to the factory hot end and dealing with the acrylic jigsaw was to no avail. I still can't get a whole print out of it with out the extruder jamming up. So I ordered up the parts I need from printit industries and hopefully I will be able to print some things soon.

This round of mods will include;
E3dv6 12v
Mk6 extruder
Hobb goblin
Supernight 12v power supply

I got my new parts in the mail today. Installation went relatively easy with no major issues. So far after calibration I have tried to print a few things with limited sucess.

The new E3d hot end has been going strong so far and hasn't jammed up on me. However my bed isn't heating up as fast as it used to so I will have to sort that out. There is still a fair amount of tidying things up and printing out some new pieces.

Check the voltage at the PSU it is adjustable via the small pot next to the terminals.  It can be set up to 13.5 Volts without causing any damage to your board.  This higher voltage should improve your heat up times.

This may sound stupid but those power supplies come set to 220 volts make sure yours is set for 110.

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

Finally I made a decent print with this machine. The extruder has been working flawlessly so far and money well spent. I'm glad I didn't pull my hair out trying to get the stock extruder working.

I also was having issues with Y drifting issues that was destroying my prints at random times. I replaced the belts with fishing line and made everything as smooth as possible. I still need to do the X belt with the fishing line.

I cranked the power supply up and now the bed heats up a bit better. For now it will work out but I will be getting something that comes up to temp faster  and preferably hotter.

Hopefully I'm getting it all dialed in now so i can print the rest of the parts I need to get this thing working good. There is still a long way to go yet though.

A quick update on my progress. I have been printing out new parts to get the solidoodle 2 working trouble free for a few days now and the e3d has been flawless.

Parts I am printing up now include;
Direct drive Y
Spool Jacks
Lawsy carriages
Cable chain
Y blocks

Still lots to go yet but it's all coming along great now. I'm going to have to figure out a different bed heater still.  Even with the voltage cranked up it still takes too long for me to deal with. Something that heats up under 2 minutes would be great.

I would also appreciate a bit of feedback regarding print speeds the machine is capable of as it looks like I can print quite a bit faster after a few more mods.