Topic: None of the motors respond on solidoodle 2

My solidoodle 2 has been in storage for a while since I last used it, and I just pulled it out yesterday to make a print. It turns on and connects fine, and the heat bed and extruded came up to temperature as expected.  However, NONE of the motors work (x, y, z, or extruder). 

The board is responding to the motor commands with OK, but they don't even make any sound (so it isn't like they are stuck).  I tried fiddling with the motor connectors and even switching them around, but there is no movement at all.

Any ideas how to troubleshoot this further?  Is it possible I need to re-flash the firmware?  Or is it more likely that all four motor controllers somehow died while it was in storage?

Re: None of the motors respond on solidoodle 2

Sorry, 2013 iMac with Mac OS Sierra, using Repetier Host.

3 (edited by Tin Falcon 2017-07-21 10:24:18)

Sound s like some sort of software issue with rh. Have you upgraded since you stored the sd2.
do you have a different computer to try.What version of RH are you using you may need to downgrade.

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

It would be statistically unlikely that all four motors/controllers failed at the same time.  I'm not as familiar with the SD2 (I have an SD4), but is there separate power to the motor drivers?

Otherwise, try connecting the SD2 to another computer and see how it acts.

It would be statistically unlikely that all four motors/controllers failed at the same time.  I'm not as familiar with the SD2 (I have an SD4), but is there separate power to the motor drivers?

Otherwise, try connecting the SD2 to another computer and see how it acts.

I would agree that it seems unlikely, but I'm not sure what other explanation there is. I am using the same version of RH that I used to use. It can definitely communicate fine with the board, and is able to turn the hot end and heated bed on and off, as well as register the temperature of both. None of the motors respond at all though.

Simply because you had it in storage, I'm going to question the connections on the board, or the traces on said board.
I repaired tools for several years and saw first hand how humidity/moisture, and neglect can effect something as simple as an on/off switch.

Double check your board and retrace all wires. When you flex them, do you hear any popping or whining? What board do you currently have?

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

The only common element to all the motors and drivers is the board

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

Does the RH log screen show any errors like Maxtemp triggered or anything out of the ordinary?

SD2 - Stock - Enclosure - Heated Bed - Glass Plate - Auto Fire Extinguisher
Ord Bot Hadron - RAMPS 1.4 - Bulldog XL - E3D v6 - 10" x 10" PCB Heated Build w/SSR - Glass Plate
Thanks for All of Your Help!