1 (edited by dochoppy 2017-07-17 19:42:18)

Topic: Ok. reaching out for help.

Hello,

I have a Davinci 1.0.   It has been working great under Repetier firmware, giving very good prints for the last 2 years.  I have replaced the extruder once and the heated glass bed once.    Most recently I went to start the second of a set of 4 seven hour long prints for blade guards for my drone, when I noticed I had no lights or panel display. My first thought was that I turned it off,  I turned the power switch on and got momentary fan noise and nothing else.   I removed the back cover and watched the logic board, Power cycled the printer and had the 3 leds momentarily light and immediately power down.  There is no noticable damage on the logic board, which is leading me to suspect the power supply. 

Video of LEDs and sound if you can hear it.   Sorry it is so dark. was early morning and didn't think to turn on the lights before taking the video. I wanted to make sure that the led's showed up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8UDpyk4s-Y

Any thoughts appreciated.

Re: Ok. reaching out for help.

dochoppy wrote:

Hello,

I have a Davinci 1.0.   It has been working great under Repetier firmware, giving very good prints for the last 2 years.  I have replaced the extruder once and the heated glass bed once.    Most recently I went to start the second of a set of 4 seven hour long prints for blade guards for my drone, when I noticed I had no lights or panel display. My first thought was that I turned it off,  I turned the power switch on and got momentary fan noise and nothing else.   I removed the back cover and watched the logic board, Power cycled the printer and had the 3 leds momentarily light and immediately power down.  There is no noticable damage on the logic board, which is leading me to suspect the power supply. 

Video of LEDs and sound if you can hear it.   Sorry it is so dark. was early morning and didn't think to turn on the lights before taking the video. I wanted to make sure that the led's showed up.

Looks like a short of some kind killing your power supply. I would start by disconnecting both heaters meaning your extruder and bed if present. Then see if it will power up. If it does then reconnect one or the other and try again. If it still does not power up after disconnecting both heaters, then you may have an issue in the ribbon cable for the display. They have been known to short out over time. Disconnect the LCD at main board and see if it powers up then. What you looking at is a process of elimination till you find what is shorted.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

carl_m1968 wrote:
dochoppy wrote:

Hello,

Looks like a short of some kind killing your power supply. I would start by disconnecting both heaters meaning your extruder and bed if present. Then see if it will power up. If it does then reconnect one or the other and try again. If it still does not power up after disconnecting both heaters, then you may have an issue in the ribbon cable for the display. They have been known to short out over time. Disconnect the LCD at main board and see if it powers up then. What you looking at is a process of elimination till you find what is shorted.

Thanks for the suggestions.  I disconnected both heaters same result. Also check the LCD Ribbon cable.  Same issue. I am leaning more to a bad power supply. I am going to wire a spare ATX power supply  I have to test with. See if that makes a difference.

Ok progress!  got power got post beeps. only odd item left is the LCD display is completely blank.

Might want to checkout this post.

http://www.soliforum.com/topic/15573/j4 … 12v-issue/

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

Ok thought I would update this thread.

Looks like power supply and main board had taken a surge when a storm had rolled through.  I found a small spark emitting on the mainboard just above the trace near r201.   

Begin Rant about XYZ here.

I reached out to XYZ to see about PURCHASING, for my non warranty repair.  They wanted me to send in my board FIRST before they would send out a new board.   Talk about very irritating, as I wanted to keep my board for the stepper modules.
I went round and round with Xyz about this and finally just decided the could flip off.

End Rant

I fortunately came accross  an add locally where a guy had 2 1.0a's he was selling. One was missing a print head, the other...well a few other parts.  He wanted $100.00 for the pair.    I went and took a look and bought them. 

Repairing my original davinci 1.0:

Now comes the fun part.  Put in the power supply from the machine missing multiple parts, good power from the power supply.   Now I have a davinci 1.0A mainboard, got it put into place...came across my 2 minor hurdles.   1) the original Davinci 1.0's are minus one wire going from the mainboard to the extruder PCB.  on the Extruder PCB end it connects but skips the one pin basically.  No problem grabbed the wiring from the parts machine, mark that hurdle jumped.   2) 12v connector going to the old mainboard is much smaller than the connector going to the board from the 1.0a.   Luckily I was able to pull part fo the 12v wiring from the parts machine,   as the previous owner had cut the wiring at the extruder end, but left the mainboard connector intact.   Tested my connections with my multimeter, everthing looks good.     Quick note here, the guy said he had flashed the mainboard to repetier.....this was true, fired the printer up..could move the extruder around...bed would move...but...extruder wouldn't heat.   r271 was good, not blown.    On a lark I reflashed it with what I know would the correct bin for a 1.0a, and bingo...working printer again.   

Fine tuned my bed level and ran some test prints... good to go. still have some work to get it back to where it was..but I am getting good quality prints, so at the moment I am happy.

Turn to the printer missing the print head.   I have my original print head from my davinci 1.0   I also had the original wiring, as I had replaced the printhead in my 1st printer with a new model print head.   I decided to splice in the connector for the old style extruder, so that if I decided to swap it out for the newer style later, all I would have to do is plug it in.  Power it up, flashed it, copied the settings over from the other printer. Bam  I am getting good prints out of the second 1.0a. 

First print...hole plugs for the bottom of the printer.  tongue

So for cheaper than the cost of a mainboard from xyz....I was able to get my original printer back up and going and get a second printer running.   Plus I still have a spare glass bed, 4 stepper motors etc.   (Project parts?)

Thanks to everyone who offered help on my issue. I am glad to be printing again.