Topic: WIFI not working

Hello I am new & I think I posted in the wrong place so here it is again.

I have completed the assembly & calibration of the Altlas 3D Scanner.  I am however have troubles trying to get the WIFI to work. I tried the using a freshly formatted 4GB & 2GB USB flash-drives but the Raspberry pi wouldn't write the ATLAS3D_Windows.hta file to either flash-drive.  I then connected a monitor, mouse and keyboard.  The keyboard locks up frequently but I was able to go to settings and then network.  The WIFI dongle is able to pick up my Network Name (SSID) but after inputting the Key code the pi would say connecting to WIFI and hang there for 20 mins or more until I cancelled it.

Also I only get the right laser to come on when scanning.  Does the other laser come on after one complete rotation of the table?  I saw a video that showed both lasers alternating as the table turned.

Dan

Re: WIFI not working

is your wifi network visible to outside devices, I know on mine I have to press a button on the router to get it visible to devices not already connected.

Usually the WIFI is visible to anyone, however I did press the WPS button on the router just to make sure and still no luck.

The default preset for the Atlas3D is right laser only, at 1.9 megapixels.  This gives moderately good results with a quick scanning speed...good for figuring out your lighting conditions, object suitability, etc.  You can make your own presets and bump up the resolution, use either or both lasers, and adjust things like noise removal and laser detection.

What model of Pi are you using?

5 (edited by DanJacobs 2017-05-27 23:53:39)

Hi Knowack, I upgraded the Pi to model 2 and that got lost in the mail.  On the second one Uriah sent out the acyclic version and I don't know which Pi model.  I couldn't tell by looking at it and it is all enclosed now.

What difference does it make?

DanJacobs wrote:

Hi Knowack, I upgraded the Pi to model 2 and that got lost in the mail.  On the second one Uriah sent out the acyclic version and I don't know which Pi model.  I couldn't tell by looking at it and it is all enclosed now.

What difference does it make?

I was just trying to think of the possibilities: Pi3 has wifi built in; Pi2 is a dongle. I'm sure yours is a Pi2 then.

I've never had trouble with my Atlas3D and wifi, but I have had occasional hiccups on other Pi's that I have.  What encryption method are you using for you wifi?

Here's a suggestion: shut down the pi through the UI, then power it off with the switch.  Move the wifi dongle to a different USB port.  Wait 30 seconds, then power up the Atlas3D and see if there's any difference in behavior.  Lather, rinse, repeat until you find a more hospitable USB port, or you've tried all four.  Let us know what happens.  For whatever reason, I've had wifi dongles that liked particular USB ports better than others.  Go figure.

When I used a Mouse, Monitor & Keyboard, some of the settings didn't work, one of which was the Setup Network via USB.  When I tried a wired LAN connection, I was able to set it to active and then I was able to use a USB flash drive.  However the WIFI still will not make the connection even after trying all 4 USB ports.  The only thing that does show is the Network Name (SSID)

The encryption method is WPA-2.  Do you thing that might be a problem??  What encryption are you using?

I'm using WPA2-PSK[AES]; are you using that or the TKIP flavor?  Just trying to eliminate possibilities here...try turning encryption off briefly, to see if that has an effect.

The USB thing is odd.  You're using the power supply that came with the kit?

Yes, I am using the same encryption as you, WPA2-PSK[AES] and I am using the supplied power supply.

I have tried turning encryption off and still no luck.  Do you think the WIFI dongle isn't working correctly even though it sees the SSID?

I have heard of some wifi dongles not liking particular routers.  You may try a different dongle, or take it to a friend's house and see if it works on theirs.

I tried a different dongle, it can't even find the SSID name.  I will try taking the whole thing to my brother's, I will let you know how it goes.

It could be possible the Dongle is set for a different channel. In wifi you have different channels you can use in case one channel is getting interference from something or another wifi setup. You need to make sure the channel on the dongle is the same as the one in your routers settings.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

13 (edited by DanJacobs 2017-05-31 20:15:21)

Well I took my Atlas 3D to my brother's place and everything worked fine so I will now check out the channel numbers and any other things that might be different.  Have noticed that occasionally the router does assign an ip address but not for every long.

Does anyone know where I can get drivers for the WIFI dongle?  The internet is full of them but none I tried work.  I am trying to use my personal computer to make a connection through the dongle to see what I can find out to make it work on the iP.

DanJacobs wrote:

Does anyone know where I can get drivers for the WIFI dongle?  The internet is full of them but none I tried work.  I am trying to use my personal computer to make a connection through the dongle to see what I can find out to make it work on the iP.

What brand  and model is it? It should have come with a disk. Also you would need linux drivers for the Pi. Then there is also the issue that your Pi or your dongle may not be compatible at all with linux.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

This is the WIFI dongle that came with the Atlas 3D scanner.  It works in the Pi on my brother's network but not on mine.  I just found the drivers for it for Windows 7 64bit and the dongle works with Windows.  For some reason the dongle can see the SSID name but will not connect using the Pi.

The dongle is a Realtek RTL8188EU and the driver for Windows can be found at:

http://sciencespaces.com/search/Realtek … k+Adapter/

17 (edited by jz 2017-06-10 17:22:29)

To get the drivers for the wifi dongle the pi should be able to find it for you. Logon via keyboard, try the following
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
and see if it mentions anything like your dongle name in the list of files to update. If so, let it update

If the dongle works correctly on another wifi router, then I would guess the issue is not Altas, raspberry pi or dongle related, it is something between your wifi router and the dongle. What type/make of wifi router do you have?  And can you access its admin interface from a web browser? verify that it is running with b,g and n protocols enabled (that dongle does not support 802.11a, your router may be old or configured only for "a")

Couple of tips - wifi network names and passwords can case sensitive. Look for any leading/trailing spaces/whitespace when you enter the settings.

The router is an ASUS RT-AC3200 which I purchased about a year ago and is configured to support 802.11a/b/g/n/ac. I think your right in that it has something to do with my router setup but I just can't fine what it is.  All other WIFI devices I have all work great and I have never had any problems.

please show the contents of /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf (make sure to censor your password)

20 (edited by DanJacobs 2017-06-22 15:56:46)

Contents of the /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf file less the psk password:

#Country=GB
ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev

network={
ssid="MicroSmart"
psk="**********"
proto=RSN
key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
pairwise=TKIP
group=TKIP WEP104 WEP40
auth_alg=OPEN
}

Uriah got me to change it to:

ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev

network={
ssid="MicroSmart"
psk="**********"
}

Now it works correctly, I did however have problems saving the wpa_supplicant.conf file using "sudo nano".  When I would save and exit nano it would change the file back to it's original state, so I saved the file and then rebooted which worked well yielding a working WIFI connection.

Hope this helps and thanks to all who helped.

Dan

21 (edited by knowack 2017-06-22 22:00:51)

Wow!  What an odd problem that turned out to be.

Get ready to have some fun playing around with your Atlas3D!