Topic: Davinci Jr. Extrusion Stopping Mid-Print

I tried to print various files out, but the printer would stop extruding filament about halfway through the print process. The hot end is still hot enough to melt the filament. Why does the filament not extrude later when it is working well at the beginning? Thanks.

Re: Davinci Jr. Extrusion Stopping Mid-Print

Could be a partial clog, bad filament, yes it happens. Or could be an issue with the feed gear being mucked up with filament debris or it may be hot but not hot enough to melt the volume you are feeding it. There are a host of things that can cause your issue, you just need to try and address each one and rule them out.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

All of the things Carl said plus make sure you have enough tension on your extruder if it is adjustable.

Also make sure that the filament is free on the spool. Some filament tends to get wrapped crisscross and gets hung up on the spool every now and then. Also, I changed my filament feeder on my JR and fixed 99% of all of my feeding issues. The XYZ feeder is HORRIBLE!

I have a friend who keeps his printer in the garage and his printer stopped extruding mid print and we spotted that as it had been raining for a couple of days the PLA had absorbed moisture and was 1.85mm and was jamming in the hotend, he dried it uot for a couple of days in the house and all was well.

Bozotclown1970 wrote:

Also make sure that the filament is free on the spool. Some filament tends to get wrapped crisscross and gets hung up on the spool every now and then. Also, I changed my filament feeder on my JR and fixed 99% of all of my feeding issues. The XYZ feeder is HORRIBLE!

Because i have the feeding issues too, how did you change it ?
with new one by XYZ or some other ?

Well, I just spent about 1/2 hour looking throught my PM's and posts and could not find the links, but I posted somewhere in here the parts I ordered and used. You have to replace the bracket and stepper motor which is very easy to do.

Thank you

9 (edited by yizhou.he 2017-11-28 17:42:43)

I have stop extruding in middle of print issue before. There are three potential cause of these.

1. The fan not cooling enough, and after long time printing, the heat accumulate in hotend and cause PLA to expand and jam the throat of the hotend. You can tell by unplug the filament when hotend is >180C and see if the end of filament is bigger in diameters and the length of expansion is longer than 5mm. The accumulation of the heat takes time lead to delay on the jaming.

2. Repeated retraction lead to Grinding Filament in extruder, this issue can be resolved by change in retraction setting or simply rotate you model before printing. You will find broken filament at extruder position and the grinding takes time  lead to delay on the jaming.

3. Extruder overheat, it takes time to accumulate heat, and when temperature raise, PLA become soft, therefore you have trouble to extrude. You can dignose this my feeling the extruder motor temperature after 30 minutes printing see if it gets warm or hot. You will also notice noise when trying to extrude (not click noise, but emits a high frequency noise). If your Jr. is ramps converted, adjust the motor current on E motor drive can solve the problem. If your Jr. is everything stock, you can only solve this problem by add cooling fan to the extruder.

In any of the case, replace the extruder motor of same model are unlikely fix the problem, you will have to use extruder that can handle higher motor current.

(Da Vinci 1.0, Jr. 1.0 RAMPS, miniMaker) X4, (Creality CR-10S, CR-10 mini, Ender-3) X4, Anycubic MEGA X4, Anycubic Chrion X1, ADMILAB Gantry X2 (MonoPrice Maker Select V2, Plus, Ultimate)X4--Select mini X1, Anycubic photon X4, Wanhao duplicate D7 X1.
iNSTONE Inventor Pro X2, CTC Dual X2, ANET-A8, Hictop 3DP-11, Solidoodle Press, FLSUN I3 2017X1

10 (edited by betmeup 2018-08-25 11:35:31)

I can say... its the feeder spring.

If you are using soft filament, then the metal feeder wheels squeeze the filament (while extreme retraction), so that the filament in the hotend is not round enough and will be clog.

I thought it was the temperature, fan, or bad filement, but no, its the feeder wheels + spring :-)

You can test it: remove the whole filament, then take a short part (50 cm) and let it flow through the feeder, then pull it back. When it is no longer smooth and round, then the feeder spring is to hard.