Re: Wanhao Duplicator 7 Discussion

In terms of brittle -- could a kid handle it for 30 minutes?

4x CR10
3x Homebuilt Lulz TAZ 6

The finished print is made of acrylic. I would not allow a kid to hsnfle it as it could end up in their mouth and it is not known yet if their is any danger in that. When I say brittle, think glass. A kid would destroy a print made with standard resin.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

Depends on the age of the kid. toddlers absolutely not but older kids can handle it fine.  I printed some spinners and they have lasted just fine letting kids play with them.  The wanhoo resin is a bit more durable then the funtodo and some of the other resins.

Also for casting you will want to use a casting resin as that is designed to burn out cleanly without residue.

Hi, looking to get one myself. been 3d printing FDM for about 4 years now, do it as a hobby and for work..

does the duplicator 7 require anything purchasing besides the resin?
i have heard that with SLAs the resin vats have a very short life span and cost about £50 a pop... really puts me off.

currently stuck between the peopoly sla kit  &  wanhao duplicator 7.. any thoughts or advice?

r.sloan88 wrote:

Hi, looking to get one myself. been 3d printing FDM for about 4 years now, do it as a hobby and for work..

i have heard that with SLAs the resin vats have a very short life span and cost about £50 a pop... really puts me off.

currently stuck between the peopoly sla kit  &  wanhao duplicator 7.. any thoughts or advice?

Yes the vat, more precisely the FEP sheet on this printers vat is considered a consumable. Those sheets depending on where purchased are only a few bucks a piece. You are not replacing the entire vat on this printer. How long it last depends on usage. I am still on my first FEP sheet which is the disposable part of the vat on the D7 and I have been printing for several months. A DUV like the D7 does not ruin the FEP sheet as fast as a laser does on a scanning type SLA.

31 (edited by pirvan 2017-11-09 20:17:34)

r.sloan88 wrote:

Carl should be able to give you his insight on the Wanhao Duplicator, but I can give you some information that should help you decide which way to go.

The Wanhao D7 uses a 5.5" LCD panel with a resolution of 2560 x1440, and UV light source.  It's what is commonly referred to as a Direct LCD printer.  The resin vat/tank sits directly on top of the LCD panel, and The UV backlight shines through the transparent/white screen, exposing the resin in one single pass.

The Peopoly Moai is a true SLA printer, which uses a UV 405nm laser to "draw" the image of the layer onto the bottom of the vat, thereby exposing and polymerizing the resin. 

Additionally, the Moai uses a tilting peel mechanism, that adds a lot less stress to the model as it's being detached from the build layer, whereas the Wahao and other units like it, simply pull the part straight up.  This can have a negative impact on the model, and either distort/stretch it vertically, or worse contribute to the model or parts becoming detached from the supports, and ultimately partial or complete print failure.

Each technology has it's strengths and weaknesses, but in general, a SLA printer should be capable of producing finer details, but both SLA technologies are capable of surpassing anything that an FDM can do.

The Wanhao is more compact, already built, and with it's dedicated software easier to get started.  However the Moai offers a larger build volume, finer layer resolution and potentially finer surface details, but it requires assembly and learning at least 2 pieces of software to get started.

With regard to the resin vat/tank, yes they are consumables. 

The Moai tank uses a PDMS layer that acts as the drawing surface.  The resin cures on top of it, and is also attached to the previous layer.  So as the build platform goes up, it needs to detach the model with the newly cured layer from the PDMS.  The printer tilts the vat to gently detach the print from the PDMS, then the build platform goes up, and so on. 

It is the PDMS layer that over a period of time becomes foggy and doesn't allow the laser beam to properly shine through and cure the resin.  when this happens, you usually get prints that lack detail, or fail partially or altogether.  When this happens, the PDMS layer needs to be replaced.  In most cases, people simply dispose of the vat and buy a new one.  Other folks, the DIYers, will re-coat the existing vat with a new layer of PDMS, which is a lot cheaper in the long run (I'm one of those that re-coats his vats to save money). 

Peopoly claims their tank can last 4 liters of resin.  I think that in reality that number is more like 2-3 liters.  Different resins have different exposure rates, additionally, finer resolutions will expose the PDMS to extra exposures/passes, so your mileage will certainly vary.

The WD7 uses sheet of FEPat the bottom of the tank instead.  I don't have enough information to tell you how long that lasts, or what the behavior is, so I defer to Carl for that.  In the long run, it should be cheaper to run the the D7 compared to the Moai.

Prices of Resins have come down recently with the introduction of new vendors like Apply Lab Works, 3D Resyns and now Peopoly.  I think this is a good time to get itnot SLA printing if this is something you ever considered before but though it was too expensive.

Hope this answers some of your questions.

To print or, 3D print, that is the question...
SD3 printer w/too many mods,  Printrbot Simple Maker Ed.,  FormLabs Form 1+
AnyCubic Photon, Shining 3D EinScan-S & Atlas 3D scanners...
...and too much time on my hands.

thank you both for your detalied responses!!
I've opted to go for the wanhao as I figure any larger prints can just be done on my fdm machines...

the wanhao has great reviews all round really. however, the resins seem to get mixed reviews...
any recommendations (i'm going to start off on clear resins)
any recommendaions on casting resins for it??

Wanhao D7 is NOT an SLA printer.
No lasers there. Its LCD projection.
Just to clear things out for those who posted it under this category

tonycstech wrote:

Not to be a hardass but maybe you need to educate yourself before coming in here and making a comment that makes you look like you know nothing..

Stereolithography (SLA or SL; also known as stereolithography apparatus, optical fabrication, photo-solidification, or resin printing) is a form of 3D printing technology used for creating models, prototypes, patterns, and production of parts in a layer by layer fashion using photopolymerization, a process by which light causes chains of molecules to link, forming polymers.

If a 3d Printer uses LIGHT to activate the polymerization of the resin it is an SLA printer.

carl_m1968 wrote:
tonycstech wrote:

Not to be a hardass but maybe you need to educate yourself before coming in here and making a comment that makes you look like you know nothing..

Stereolithography (SLA or SL; also known as stereolithography apparatus, optical fabrication, photo-solidification, or resin printing) is a form of 3D printing technology used for creating models, prototypes, patterns, and production of parts in a layer by layer fashion using photopolymerization, a process by which light causes chains of molecules to link, forming polymers.

If a 3d Printer uses LIGHT to activate the polymerization of the resin it is an SLA printer.

Define the difference between DLP and SLA ?
DLP using projection via projector or LCD
SLA using laser that draws the image similar to FDM printer
Two are not the same.

36 (edited by carl_m1968 2018-04-01 21:32:41)

tonycstech wrote:
carl_m1968 wrote:
tonycstech wrote:

Define the difference between DLP and SLA ?
DLP using projection via projector or LCD
SLA using laser that draws the image similar to FDM printer
Two are not the same.

SLA is a general name for any printer that uses LIGHT regardless of the source to harden a photopolymer. The technology does not matter as the process is the same. Did you not read the definition of SLA that I posted? SLA stands for Sterolithography Apparatus. Nothing more, nothing less. You are simply confused by the fact that the first SLA machines where only laser based. However SLA applies to ANY machine that uses LIGHT to cure a photopolymer.

Laser based machine as you said draw out a layer similar to an FDM machine. A DLP or DUV machine simply exposes one full layer at a time versus drawing it out. They both however use light for the hardening of the photopolymer and therefore both are SLA machines.

SLA does not have any thing to do with laser in the way it is used for these types of machines.

carl_m1968 wrote:

SLA is a general name for any printer that uses LIGHT regardless of the source to harden a photopolymer. The technology does not matter as the process is the same. Did you not read the definition of SLA that I posted? SLA stands for Sterolithography Apparatus. Nothing more, nothing less. You are simply confused by the fact that the first SLA machines where only laser based. However SLA applies to ANY machine that uses LIGHT to cure a photopolymer.

Laser based machine as you said draw out a layer similar to an FDM machine. A DLP or DUV machine simply exposes one full layer at a time versus drawing it out. They both however use light for the hardening of the photopolymer and therefore both are SLA machines.

SLA does not have any thing to do with laser in the way it is used for these types of machines.

Sorry Carl, but you're only partially right. 

While a lot of Chinese 3d printer manufacturers keep referring to their progeny as SLA printers, the reality is the term was originally intended for laser based devices. 

SLA was originally coined by Chuck Hull, who went on to to found 3D Systems.  His patent specifically described "a concentrated beam of ultraviolet light focused onto the surface of a vat filled with a liquid photopolymer". Aided by CAD/CAM software, the laser would draw the outlines of the object to be printed onto the surface of the resin, thereby polymerizing the area.

At the time of it's inception (early 80's) the technology predated the development of the DLP chips by almost 10 years.  By the time Texas Instruments manufactured the first viable DLP chips in 1997, 3D Systems was already working on their 2nd generation SLA systems using solid state laser diodes.

Anyway, you're correct that, today, SLA is is used to primarily describe 3D printers that use some form of resin polymerization, but to correctly describe the differences between technologies, additional nomenclature must be applied.  Below is a link that describes in detail the 3 different processes, as well as their correct naming:

http://theorthocosmos.com/laser-sla-vs- … -compared/

Hope this sheds some light on the technology and its nomenclature.

Well rain on my parade and call me chipmunk...

39 (edited by pirvan 2018-04-02 03:05:42)

Chipmunk ?

... Alvin ???  Is that you ?

I dont understand this machine.
It seems to me that you simply CANNOT 0 the bed.
Bed drops on the fep film and i can see FEP moves slightly.
If (per instructions) i apply light pressure to the rack while tightening the screws, it ends up about 0.6 too low.

I keep getting blob on the FEP instead of the bed.
I would print 3-5 layers and stop to see if its working and i get same thing again and again.

Replaced FEP (seemed to improve flatness but still about 0.1-0.2 too low )
So how in the world do i 0 the bed if FEP flexes on contact ?

I'm no expert but I think the bed should be touching the lcd with the fep in between. It sounds like you did it right or close enough. Try playing with your resin profiles a bit. I thought my d7 was broken until I basically doubled the cure time for my print. That got me something solid and attached to the bed. Then I started working my way back down. There is definietly a learning curve even if you have lots of FDM experience.

The trick is simple really. Just loosen all four screws holding the plate the Z axis. Then home the platform through nanoDLP by sending it to the floor. This will home the axis relative to the sensor. Then simply press the platform, not the axis against the LCD by hand. Mind you not too much pressure as you just want it snug but not actually pushing on the LCD. While holding it down, tighten the screws back into the axis. Now when you home the Z axis the plate will be at the correct spot every time.

In regard to your issue though you could have one of the old platforms depending on where you bought it at and if that store updated their stock when the new platform rolled out which is doubtful. If you do have an old platform then it has two problems. One it is not flat in the middle but is cupped. Then the second issue is the finish. Mine was cupped by simply using sand paper to remove the black finish to bare aluminum and then a fine grit to smooth but still keeping it slightly rough worked great on mine.

I am not sure why they chose to paint the build surface as all the big name resin printers use a bare aluminum build plate.

My 1.5 came with a bare aluminum finish on the plate.

justsomeguy wrote:

Then it may need to be slightly roughed and still could be cupped or bowed.

justsomeguy wrote:

mine D7 Plus is is the same.
Its flat for sure, but seems like it needs holes so it wont suck on the film when pulling it up.

I am in need of some trouble shooting advice. Got myself a D7plus a while back and found out the LCD screen cable was damaged when I tried printing large parts and noticed that a part of the screen was bad. Got two new LCD replacement kits and with both I don't get any image at all when I test with the test image to see the rhino. So checked if all connections on the ribbon cable pins is conducting. Swaped out a mix match of the boards and screens I have. Actually starting to think the LCD control board might be at fault but want to confirm whether or not an actaul image signal is being sent to the board. So hooked up the HDMI output to a projector to see if I can get an image but it only screams invalid format which leads me to a question. What image format is sent through the HDMI to the LCD control board for the Duplicator?

Carl I have a question.
is the duplicator 7 a good enough printer to do lithophanes using white resin.
I know i would have to stand the lithophane on edge because of the bed size.
Looking to print  lithophanes 100 X 100

thanks
Dale

Ultimaker S3.

dubbsd wrote:

Carl I have a question.
is the duplicator 7 a good enough printer to do lithophanes using white resin.
I know i would have to stand the lithophane on edge because of the bed size.
Looking to print  lithophanes 100 X 100

thanks
Dale

I see no reason why it couldn't. Its just a matter of finding the correct thickness or width versus opacity of the cured resin. The other issue might be the finished lithograph will discolor and become more brittle over time due to the fact that resin continues to cure over time with exposure to UV light and nearly all light has some level of UV in it.

Dear all,

I want to open a Wanhao Duplicator 7 Plus, and replace its UV light source (~405nm) with another light source with wavelength around 500 nm.  Do you guys have any idea if it is possible or not?
If its not possible, then what do you think if I want to remove the whole LCD and add my own Texas Instrument DLP with its own software and light source and lenses? Do you have had any experience of working with this printer after removing its LCD? Is it possible to use it like an open source device? Thanks a lot for sharing your ideas, if any.

hgoodarzy wrote:

Dear all,

I want to open a Wanhao Duplicator 7 Plus, and replace its UV light source (~405nm) with another light source with wavelength around 500 nm.  Do you guys have any idea if it is possible or not?
If its not possible, then what do you think if I want to remove the whole LCD and add my own Texas Instrument DLP with its own software and light source and lenses? Do you have had any experience of working with this printer after removing its LCD? Is it possible to use it like an open source device? Thanks a lot for sharing your ideas, if any.

They work great as is, why would you want to change to a light source you have to buy non-standard resin for?