Topic: $235 Solidoodle Workbench Worth it?

So I have an opportunity to pick up a Workbench that seems pretty cheap and is a "untested customer return" so is it worth trying? I have experience with mostly delta printers but have never used a soli printer. Is it still possible to repair and replace certain parts? anything specific I should look for when I check the printer? Please any tips would be much appreciated thanks.

Post's attachments

00a0a_aSWIRi29Vtl_1200x900.jpg
00a0a_aSWIRi29Vtl_1200x900.jpg 72.2 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

00q0q_5Dalb9zl0IB_1200x900.jpg
00q0q_5Dalb9zl0IB_1200x900.jpg 56.22 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

00T0T_ctnW6TEORCX_1200x900.jpg
00T0T_ctnW6TEORCX_1200x900.jpg 64.87 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

00Y0Y_3esAAwaKRbu_1200x900.jpg
00Y0Y_3esAAwaKRbu_1200x900.jpg 77.32 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

2 (edited by Tin Falcon 2017-05-02 10:29:26)

Re: $235 Solidoodle Workbench Worth it?

For that price do not think you can go wrong.
Lots of experienced folk here to help.
Read the workbench threads here.
Print it industries here  supports sodidooodle users with spare parts.
Make sure the axis are moving freely and everything is square.
do a startup check just like you built a kit.
Make sure belts are tight set screws tight  end stops working etc,

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

Tin Falcon wrote:

For that price do not think you can go wrong.
Lots of experienced folk here to help.
Read the workbench threads here.
Print it industries here  supports sodidooodle users with spare parts.
Make sure the axis are moving freely and everything is square.
do a startup check just like you built a kit.
Make sure belts are tight set screws tight  end stops working etc,

awesome thanks! hopefully none of the parts are broken,  is there downloads for 3d printed parts ? and is the wiki stuff about the 3/4 relatable to the workbench?

4 (edited by widespreaddeadhead 2017-05-02 15:22:51)

Looks almost like it's never been used. You can definitely repair and replace a lot of the parts. Like Tin said, when you get it plugged in the first time make sure all the endstops and fans are working. The two fans blowing on the extruders, the two fans behind the extruder motors, and the fan on the X motor should all be running when plugged in. The bottom fan on the front is the print fan and is controlled with your gcode/host.

There is a carriage on thingiverse, but that's about it for 3d printed parts. I asked the person who posted the Workbench Apprentice Y carriages if they could edit that file to match the 10mm rods on the X axis, but haven't heard anything yet. They posted the .sldprt file so really, it just needs edited to match the correct rod diameter. I'm currently trying to so this in F360, so I might have one available on thingiverse soon.

FuseBox 1.5 CoreXY - e3dv6 - Graphic Smart Display
Solidoodle 2 - e3dv6 - Hobb Goblin - e3d Titan - lawsy carriages - Direct Drive Y Axis - T8 Z axis - OctoPi

Actually it looks like the WB had its X rods lower on the Y carriage than on the WBA, now that I'm comparing them side by side. So as is, this still isn't a drop in replacement. You might be able to print two, buy some more bushings, and replace the stock Y carriages, but you'll be adding some Z if you're using the stock hotends. Not sure if the bed can go up any higher either.

Anyway I'm too far away now. I think it's a great deal!

FuseBox 1.5 CoreXY - e3dv6 - Graphic Smart Display
Solidoodle 2 - e3dv6 - Hobb Goblin - e3d Titan - lawsy carriages - Direct Drive Y Axis - T8 Z axis - OctoPi

So it's missing the power supply is there a way for me to get a replacement?

I tried using a press power supply but it seems like it needs two power plugs for the bench right?

8 (edited by Tin Falcon 2017-05-03 22:13:10)

IIRC you just need a 12v Power  supply . You may need a plug or two but should not be a big deal
Make sure it has some power to it  i just purchased one of these for my ft 5 ,

https://www.trcelectronics.com/View/Mea … 0-12.shtml

keep in mind a 12 in^2  heat bed will draw  some power. IIRC the press is 24v I think the wb is  12 so verify that.

Anyway lots of choices for power supplies better than factory original PS are often skimped on to save production costs.

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed

is there a pin out for the power plugs of the back of the workbench or do I need to wire it to the board? I haven't taken apart the WB to see how the board looks

Do not know the answer off hand.

Is that printer still available?  I'd buy it.

Of course I know what I'm doing.  I googled it.