Topic: UV resistant filament

Which filament will last sitting in the sun for 2 or 3 years? Or even a year?

Re: UV resistant filament

pap4tinker wrote:

Which filament will last sitting in the sun for 2 or 3 years? Or even a year?

ABS or PETG would be my choices.

Forget about PLA. It is biodegradable and will turn to mush in year or so after being exposed to sunlight and rain. it's designed to break down under UV.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

Hmm, but I heard abs isn't good in uv

pap4tinker wrote:

Virtually everything plastic we use daily as well as in your car is ABS. ABS is the most common plastic used for thermal forming and injection molding. It may fade, but it will not break down.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

You could also consider ASA, a material often used as a replacement for ABS where weather resistance is an absolute must. It smells worse, but it won't warp the way ABS tends to do if you expose it to the elements.

Filastruder 2607 w/ Filawinder @1.75mm.
Dual-extruder MaxMicron Prusa Mendel: RAMPS 1.4 w/ Repetier Firmware+Full Graphic LCD Controller, stock hotends, 3Dator extruders w/ MK8 gears, insulated enclosure w/ 2 heat lamps, RPi 2B w/ Repetier Server.
0.1-0.2mm layer height, heated bed w/ PEI surface, inductive-sensor autolevel, 0.5mm to 0.2mm nozzle diameters.

carl_m1968 wrote:
pap4tinker wrote:

Virtually everything plastic we use daily as well as in your car is ABS. ABS is the most common plastic used for thermal forming and injection molding. It may fade, but it will not break down.

Thanks for your input. I was thinking lots of things in cars were ABS, but for some reason I believed a guy that said he made something from ABS and it broke very quickly in the sun. Perhaps it wasn't the "sun's" fault, but instead a design problem. Thanks for your input.
I have ABS and am going to try and use some PETG soon as well.

JeremyLGSiegfried wrote:

You could also consider ASA, a material often used as a replacement for ABS where weather resistance is an absolute must. It smells worse, but it won't warp the way ABS tends to do if you expose it to the elements.

Thanks, I'm unfamiliar with this one. I think I will stick with ABS and try the PETG as I have both on hand. Thanks for your input.

i think its better to stick with PETG and ABS

Learn more information about 3d printing here

Maybe you could ASA material could achieve. ASA has similar property as abs, but this material has better weather resistance than ABS.

Professial 3D Printing Filament Manufacturer
www.ecoreprap.com