Topic: Solidoodle 4 freezes/becomes unresponsive

No idea what is happening (Complete noob), Ive installed Soliprint and Repetier on two different laptops. Sometimes the printer works, Ive managed to print a few things. But most of the time it freezes up either while heating up or while printing. I unplug and re plug in the usb cable and restart which ever program Im using and the printer will work again for a bit.

Re: Solidoodle 4 freezes/becomes unresponsive

Could be a bad PSU or even a bad USB cable.  Are you seeing an error in the log that may indicate some sort of bad connection on the thermistor?  Give us as much info as possible and we will do our best to guide you through troubleshooting.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

I get no errors, it just stops (randomly it seems)* I have had repetier stop working, but that was a windows error. I did notice if I just heat the extruder and not the bed it doesn't seem to freeze up nearly as much(extruder 195 bed 90), but Im printing with abs so I kind of need the bed heated (I think). I replaced the usb cable tonight.  Managed to do a 45 minute print(heated the bed then shut it off once the first few layers were down), but when I went to print something after that, it froze up again.

Sounds like a bad power supply dropping out at full load.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

Is there a way of testing the power supply , or is buying a replacement the easiest thing? What are the voltage requirements of the printer?

6 (edited by Tin Falcon 2017-04-02 11:42:35)

before the panic mode what material are you  using and what temp .
I had a similar problem a while back could be the head bed or hot end hitting the upper limit and kicking off.

the other possibilities are valid and should be explored but, check the easy stuff first.
you may need to tune PID . loose wiring in the heaters or sense loops can do funny things as well. .

have you looked at the temp curve panel on rh  that could give some clues to what is happening if you see come upward or downward spikes.

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

Is there a way of testing the power supply?

just a matter of hooking a meter to the board with test leads.

is buying a replacement the easiest thing?

Buying a replacement is easy and easy to install just wire the connector from  the old  factory PS to the new one

What are the voltage requirements of the printer

the SD$ is a 12 v system the  preferred tried and true PS  is the supernight
https://www.printitindustries.com/produ … wer-supply it will run a bit above $30

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

what version of RH and what kind of computer OS??

I have had issues with newer versions of RH before on a Win7 64 bit system... i run version 1.0.6 with no problems

but I also agree that you need to check into the power supply and/or USB cable.

those temps should not be a problem with the stock setup, unless the PID is way out of whack... (a simple check of the temp graph could confirm that)
also take a look at the power outputs (also on the temp graph tab)

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

I ran a stock power supply with my SD4, even after I upgraded to an E3Dv6.  When I upgrade the bed heater, I also got a new power supply from PrintItIndustries.  I added a digital voltmeter display from Adafruit, so I can continually monitor the output voltage...12.7 idle, 12.3 under max load...pretty good.