1 (edited by tealvince 2013-03-31 14:00:15)

Topic: Sealed smoothing station - Success!

Building on the many posts here, I'm thinking about building my own simple smoothing station, but one that has a sealed chamber so it is safer to use.

To start with, I'm thinking of something like a glass jar topped with some sort of expandable cap or bladder.  The idea is that after placing about 1cc of acetone in the jar, you can place the jar in a bowl of hot water to boil the acetone.  The expandable top (bladder?, balloon?) would take up the extra volume, yet keep everything contained until you put the jar in some cold water to condense the acetone again.  Later on, some sort of magnet-driven fan could be added to stir the vapors inside.

Of course, the problem is finding a suitable bladder that would be resistant to acetone.  I understand polypropylene is acetone resistant, and used for some expandable water bottles.  For 1cc of acetone, I think I need something that can expand a least a liter in volume, since a mole of gas is 22l and a mole of water is about 18ml.

Any ideas?  Is this a crazy?

PS: topic edited 3/31 to reflect successful test (post on page 2)

Re: Sealed smoothing station - Success!

So you want to make an acetone filled pressure cooker with no release valve.  I don't see any issues.

Sealing is a bad idea.  If you create a zone of cold air at the top by running chilled water through a copper coil, the acetone will condense before it can get out.  When I did this, I could put my nose right at the top of the pot and not smell anything.

4 (edited by tealvince 2013-03-08 16:53:52)

cmetzel wrote:

So you want to make an acetone filled pressure cooker with no release valve.  I don't see any issues.

Did nobody actually read my post?

That's the *whole point* of the expanding section, like those water bottles that accordian down flat for storing and out when you fill them; there would be no pressure build up because the container would expand to contain the gas.  I'm thinking that 1cc of acetone should represent be about 1/20th of a mole of molecules, which would make it expand to about one liter of gas at STP. (can anyone double-check this calculation?)  So, if I could find a 1-liter collapsible container made of Polypropylene or a similar acetone-resistant plastic, it could be used as the expandable top.

Although, I guess when using only 1ml of acetone, if you contained it in a 1 liter (quart) jar, you'd only be dealing with an extra 14psi of pressure.  It doesn't seem like it would be terribly hard to find a clear jar rated for this.  A mason jar is obviously rated for this pressure (1atm) in vacuum, but I don't know about finding one safe to use in pressure.  That's why the expandable "lid" came to mind.

Here's another idea. 

Instead of a expanding container (which nobody seemed to understand) why just use a mason jar (which is rated for full vacuum) and a hand held vacuum pump to shift the acetone boiling point? 

Since the boiling point of acetone is so low to begin with, it should boil into vapor at room temperature by putting it under a slight vacuum (229mmHg ~ 5psi?).  Then you get vapor in a safe enclosed container with no heat source.

I too was looking at the idea of a diaphragm at the top of the container but as I can't seem to find a suitable container as yet it is hard to test how much expansion is going to be generated.
If there isn't much expansion then you could monitor the pressure to make sure that any container is going to be suitable, I would have though that any large tin can would be fit for purpose as we are only talking about heating to an absolute maximum of 100c.
Even getting a spare container and finding some space could give hours of fun proving the burst pressure of the container. smile

However the idea of lowering the pressure is a great idea, if you could vapourise the acetone at room temp I don't think you could get any safer. Not sure how the pressure changes as the acetone boils but you are trying to pull a vacuum though? Maybe someone who is closer to school age than I could tell me.

I feel an experiment coming on.
OOOOooooo, just found a nice jar, that will do for testing...report later.
If you haven't heard anything by next week someone call 911 tongue

Zarni wrote:

If there isn't much expansion then you could monitor the pressure to make sure that any container is going to be suitable, I would have though that any large tin can would be fit for purpose as we are only talking about heating to an absolute maximum of 100c.

Yes.  My original thought was to use a cap with an air escape hose and put something like a balloon over it to capture and measure the gas volume.  Of course a regular balloon would probably be eaten up fairly quickly by the acetone, but a zip loc bag (polyethelyne) should not.  It's been a long time since chemistry class for me too, but I think it should be in the range of 1-2 liters of gas generated per cc of acetone.

Zarni wrote:

However the idea of lowering the pressure is a great idea, if you could vapourise the acetone at room temp I don't think you could get any safer. Not sure how the pressure changes as the acetone boils but you are trying to pull a vacuum though? Maybe someone who is closer to school age than I could tell me.

As I recall, in any enclosed space,  at any given temperature, a liquid will want to evaporate until it either runs out of liquid or builds up enough pressure to reach its equilibrium vapor pressure.  At 56.5 degrees C, acetone has a vapor pressure of 760mmHg (1 atmosphere) , which is why an open container of it starts to boil at that temperature.    At room temperature, however, acetone only has a vapor pressure of about 0.3 atmospheres (a partial vacuum).  Thus, if you put acetone in an enclosed jar and try to pull a vacuum, the acetone will start to boil off when the pressure tries to drop below 0.3 atm.  The more you try to drop the pressure, the more acetone will boil off to keep the pressure at exactly 0.3 (until you run out of liquid).  If you then instead try to increase the pressure back to 1 atm, any acetone gas that had boiled off will immediately condense back into a liquid, again "trying" to keep the pressure at 0.3 atm, until all the acetone gas has condensed back into liquid.  The setup should be perfectly safe because the acetone can never generate net positive (> 1atm) pressure at room temperature; it really "wants" to be at its equilibrium vapor press of 0.3 atm.

Sounds fun but how is this easier than the presto part finisher method that Ian introduced us to?

The only reason I would go this route over the presto is if you want to smooth a larger object like something that was multiple prints and put together.

I want to find something in the 5gallon range with an open top that wont be eaten by the acetone.  I wish glass carboys for homebrewing had the same open bucket design as the plastic primary fermenters.

My current thought is to find a metal or plastic 5gallon bucket made out of the correct material. Which leads to the next question.  What plastic number should we look for on the bottom of our buckets. I believe Class 2 is HDPE and is acetone safe.

If you're willing to go through all that trouble just use the original vapor bath with the chilled water circulating that Ian was messing with before the presto.  That's what is used in industrial degreasers so you know the tech has been proven out and is likely the best solution.

I have a 23qt pressure canner that I picked up cheap. (at a yard sale) that I am going to try.

the only problem is you have to go by time as you can not see the part.

here is the link
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Presto-23-Qt- … er/2625289

Ultimaker S3.

cmetzel wrote:

Sounds fun but how is this easier than the presto part finisher method that Ian introduced us to?

For a small parts (which is what I'd try first), you're only talking about a mason jar, a length of hose, and a hand vacuum pump.  If it works, it would be simple and completely contained, which in my book is much safer than an open vat of boiling acetone, even with the condenser.  No ice or recirculating pump or boiling water necessary.  I could just store and reuse the small amount of acetone in the jar (provided the seal was acetone-resistant) and either use a pump connection I could seal or two lids.

13 (edited by Zarni 2013-03-08 22:30:34)

OK, so after some quick reduced pressure testing with a glass jar, a metal lid, and a cheap Mityvac hand pump I was able to just pull 10 inmg from the jar and at room temperature got nothing, apart from a hand that now aches sad
Now it could be that the acetone was a bit to cold or I couldn't hold the vacuum (I had way to many leaks, it was a very quick test) but I would guess to make it work well you would need a proper vacuum pump which would make the whole idea rather expensive.

I also noticed a probable flaw in the idea which would stop you from even trying. When pull out the air there is still some acetone vapor in the jar and that gets pulled through the pump so the internals aren't going to last long, making it even more expensive.

So a good idea if you have some pressure vessel and a stainless pump with special seals, but I think for the rest of us it isn't economically viable when Ian has already found a cheap and easy solution.

However, I still want to play with the idea of the sealed vessel, mainly so I can use it inside without having to worry about it exploding or gassing myself.

Hmmm, going to try again once I have glued up some parts to make the vacuum better.

14 (edited by tealvince 2013-03-08 23:52:31)

Zarni wrote:

OK, so after some quick reduced pressure testing with a glass jar, a metal lid, and a cheap Mityvac hand pump I was able to just pull 10 inmg from the jar and at room temperature got nothing, apart from a hand that now aches sad
Now it could be that the acetone was a bit to cold or I couldn't hold the vacuum (I had way to many leaks, it was a very quick test) but I would guess to make it work well you would need a proper vacuum pump which would make the whole idea rather expensive.

Thanks.  You saved me a trip to Harbor Freight.  I think you need to pull twice that (about 20") to get the acetone to boil. I guess for the vacuum idea to work you could fashion two chambers, one with twice as much volume as the first that sat on top with a valve in between.  You could then pull a vacuum on the larger chamber and open the valve later to suck the air out of the first (the acetone could drop down later from the big chamber to the first when you were done).  I'm lucky enough to have a workshop in the garage, so I can use a cheap venturi -type pump with my compressor.

I still think the expanding bladder idea is well worth exploring too, but was hoping someone had an idea what to use for the bladder/bellows that would expand to hold the displaced air when the acetone boiled.  The best I could come up with is using something like this mounted above the jar:

http://plumbing.hardwarestore.com/51-28 … 56541.aspx

The idea is that you would screw on the jar lid with the bellows attached and compressed, and when the acetone boiled, the displaced air could expand into the bellows instead of building up pressure in the jar (which would also stop the boiling).

PS: Found what I think might work well (2 gallon capacity, polyethylene):

https://www.survivalbagsinc.com/shop/vi … ductid=248

big_smile
So some further success on pulling a vacuum. After the glue had set holding the pipe in the can lid and I had cleaned the jar seal I was able to pull 20 inHg fairly quickly by hand.
At that point I did notice a single stream of bubbles in the jar, but it was small and it is fairly cold this morning in here. So I counted that as a success.

It got interesting when I then released the pressure, as the acetone vapor instantly condensed on to the walls of the jar. Which proved that acetone rich vapor was present.

OK, so now for the bad news, clearly my thoughts on getting acetone through the pump were correct as I then tried it a couple of more times to confirm and started to get acetone dripping out of the pump and now it make some very odd squeaky sounds that it has never done before. The seals are still good but I do wonder for how long that would be if I kept going.
I might just give it one more go to get a decent video of the whole thing but after that it is a dead end.

So next step finding a usable diaphragm to put on the jar.

I also need to find something similar to the Presto cooker in the UK. Currently a rice cooker is looking good for the job, cheaper but smaller and less control of temperature.

Zarni wrote:

It got interesting when I then released the pressure, as the acetone vapor instantly condensed on to the walls of the jar. Which proved that acetone rich vapor was present.

OK, so now for the bad news, clearly my thoughts on getting acetone through the pump were correct as I then tried it a couple of more times to confirm and started to get acetone dripping out of the pump and now it make some very odd squeaky sounds that it has never done before. The seals are still good but I do wonder for how long that would be if I kept going.
I might just give it one more go to get a decent video of the whole thing but after that it is a dead end.

So next step finding a usable diaphragm to put on the jar.

Excellent work!

Latex is listed as acetone-resistant, so a simple latex balloon might work as a diaphragm if you could find a way to seal it.  The only challenge I see is that you'd have to give it a chamber to expand into at least double the size of your smoothing chamber in order to pull to 1/3 atm.

I've been using a rice cooker recently, and I'm happy with the results, except for when I open the lid, the rush of fumes is very nasty.

This vacuum system seems to have several advantages:

• No electricity required

• Acetone not heated

• Instant condensing of vapor when vacuum is released or lid opened which is super safe

Potentially all you need is a large acetone proof clear container with something attached to it to draw a vacuum. Watch the vapor do its thing and then release it for instant opening without fumes.

Can anyone say whether a vacuum pump like this would be suitable? I'd build a winder to do it by hand:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mercedes-Ben … 500wt_1203

lawsy wrote:

Potentially all you need is a large acetone proof clear container with something attached to it to draw a vacuum. Watch the vapor do its thing and then release it for instant opening without fumes.

The problem Zarni found out, however, is that once the acetone starts to boil, you can get it into your pump (and also into the room) if you keep on pumping.  Consequently, the design would ideally have some way to either protect the pump (barrier/diaphragm?) or delay the acetone from boiling until after the vacuum is pulled.  An idea that comes to mind is maybe a  value you can turn on to inject in the acetone from a storage container or reservoir.

You would definitely need an electric pump to pull the vacuum as I have only been using a 3 inch diameter jar with a 2 inch throat, so you could only do small parts, and it takes a bit of effort to pull the vacuum to 20 inHg.

Hmmm, spending money get this sorted seems a bit excessive, I am way to tight for all that smile
I must have something kicking about that can do the trick. When it stops snowing I'll head back out to the garage and see what I can find.

I had thought of some secondary chamber that you could use with a diaphragm so you could separate the acetone fumes from the pump but your idea of adding the acetone in after the vacuum is simply genius.

You would only need to have to tee in to the vacuum pipe with a small reservoir attached containing the acetone and a simple clip to hold back the pressure (no fancy valve that would probably fail). The pipe I currently use is silicone model fuel pipe as it is resistant to most things. Then once you have the item in and the vacuum pulled you would just need to open the clip and the acetone would be drawn in and vapourise instantly. I will need extend the vacumm pipe to the bottom of the contain so the item doesn't get sprayed with acetone, but that is an easy fix.

In the mean time I have gone and bought a rice cooker (the shop owed me some money so it actually cost -£6 smile ) which looks like it will do the job just fine following Ians idea, you just can't get things like that presto cooker over here. Only problem so far is the tray inside it is plastic, so I'll have to find something to hold the models whilst their "cooking".

Hehehe, I went searching on ebay for vacuum pumps, and ended up finding lots of penis enlargement pumps big_smile Not sure if they would work.......Hmmm, maybe I should get one, just for investigation purposes of course wink

20 (edited by tealvince 2013-03-10 15:44:13)

Zarni wrote:

You would only need to have to tee in to the vacuum pipe with a small reservoir attached containing the acetone and a simple clip to hold back the pressure (no fancy valve that would probably fail). The pipe I currently use is silicone model fuel pipe as it is resistant to most things. Then once you have the item in and the vacuum pulled you would just need to open the clip and the acetone would be drawn in and vapourise instantly. I will need extend the vacumm pipe to the bottom of the contain so the item doesn't get sprayed with acetone, but that is an easy fix.

Sounds like a great idea.  I think the only thing to watch out for is that you don't want too much air in the tube to undo your vacuum.  To avoid this, you can probably hold or mount the reservoir above the level of the valve to pre-fill the tube with acetone, then clip off the other end of the tube so you have a pre-measured amount of acetone ready to go.

My ideal setup would be a glass container that came to a funnel-shaped point and hole at the bottom where I could install a turn-valve and a tube to act as a reservoir.  Then, after smoothing I could let the acetone drip back down into the tube for next time.  I'll have to see if any labware like this exists.  I ordered a couple of mason jars in different sizes to experiment with some other configurations, including using a balloon for containment.

Well I found an old tire inflater that I took off of one of those jump start packs some years back, I need to add a fitting to enable the input side to be connected to anything as currently it is just a hole in the housing, but it is too cold for me in the garage so it can wait for a slightly better day. I also need to find/make some fittings to connect all of this together. Should make a fine vacuum pump, but I have no idea how much it will pull.

How about flipping the whole setup upside down. Then you would fit the container over the model instead of putting the model in the container. That way the original lid becomes the base and any holes that are added are now in the bottom, and the lid acts to make a nice drip tray. It will need some careful fitting of the pipe to make sure the acetone can drip back but it should just want to fall back in to the reservoir. Very similar to a bell jar setup basically.

To remove the air from the acetone reservoir it would probably be easiest just have to make sure the reservoir was completely full. Which wold be easy as is is now underneath with a simple pipe coming out the top.

I feel the need for some drawings now as this is now sounding quite viable again.

Be careful with that pump. It probably uses a brushed DC motor, which is a spark factory...

Zarni wrote:

Well I found an old tire inflater that I took off of one of those jump start packs some years back, I need to add a fitting to enable the input side to be connected to anything as currently it is just a hole in the housing, but it is too cold for me in the garage so it can wait for a slightly better day. I also need to find/make some fittings to connect all of this together. Should make a fine vacuum pump, but I have no idea how much it will pull.

Zarni, you might also appreciate this budget solution, reversing the seal on a manual bike pump (saving your hands from using the mityvacXZ):

http://www.instructables.com/id/make-a- … y-convert/

or this homemake pvc solution (maybe not the best material for this application, though):

http://sci-toys.com/scitoys/scitoys/aer … index.html

The first link also references an instructable for what you are doing with an inflator pump:

I'm not sure which one I'll do yet.

http://www.instructables.com/id/E791HNXF23Z39P6/

24 (edited by jerseydevil 2013-03-11 14:52:15)

If you pull the vacuum with a venturi you could duct the vapors away from the air source because it would convert positive pressure to negative pressure.

Also, it's really quite simple to make a large vacuum chamber.  Take a stock pot.  If you are getting anywhere near 100qt *make sure* that pot has a 2 gauge about 1/4" thick wall (those pots are about 21" in diameter some plus some minus).  Get a piece of material suitable to handle exposure to acetone and at least 1/2" thick.  Cut a groove in that material such that the pot's edge fits in it and line the groove with silicone (let it dry it's a gasket not glue).  Drill a gauge into it.  Drill a port into it.  Holes towards the outer edge are less prone to mechanical stresses than holes closer to the center as the material is probably a flat sheet.  Attach another pot to as a vacuum reservoir if you like (might need to be an even larger pot).

This is the same method I've used to degas life casting models.  It can handle a decent size vacuum pump or I believe Harbor Freight  used to make a cheap venturi for this purpose (though once you realize how dead simple that is you can make it yourself out of a block of aluminum.

You can get prefabricated pots like this on EBay up to 10 gallon.  After that you need to start looking at aluminum stock pots.  Usually people use acrylic for the top and that will most likely turn cloudy with vapor of acetone under it.  Perhaps one could glue a layer of glass to the acrylic so that it forms a viewing port just use good clear epoxy.  In fact, if you are clever, one could use a hole in the acrylic to air clamp the glass to the acrylic using a vacuum pump once the glue is applied.

Danger: 'Addams Family' sense of humor.

I don't think I have any bike pumps around any more when I changed to a compressor for the air tools they just ended up rusting and became useless so they were binned.

I have pulled apart this little compressor to find out that I can't reverse it due to the way it is molded and it being very basic there is little point trying.  So I will have to make some fitting for it somehow.

Good point about the sparks, it has a really crap old 540 motor strapped to it, I do have an old motor guard from my 1/10 RC cars days that should give enough protection for serious explosion anyway. Hopefully with the idea of a separate acetone chamber there will be no fumes whilst pulling the vacuum.

I now wonder how much pressure Pyrex can handle before it fails. You can get some cheap bowls (from the kitchen, don't tell the wife smile ) and they would be perfect for a chamber.

First things first, once I get the vacuum pump running I can start experimenting with different containers, and have some fun collapsing tin cans.