Topic: Random blobs

I pretty much have my sd2 running good. One thing I can't seem to figure out are these random blobs. I thought maybe retraction but its running in single vase mode. The hot end is a e3dv5 .4 nozzle
Petg black at 239 temp 60 bed

The printer is not running fast at about 45 print speed
And 38 perimeter using cura.

Post's attachments

20170315_220711.jpg
20170315_220711.jpg 3.69 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

20170315_220812.jpg 3.3 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Re: Random blobs

Either random pausing, worn nozzle, or you have moisture in your filament. The latter is what I would have my money on.

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

+1 for the moisture

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

Say no more. I just found a solution for this.
http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-3D- … nt-Dryer//

Should function similar to the print-dry without having to buy another dehydrator.

Will post results once the container arrives tomorrow.

Ran filament in dehydrator with no improvement. I just did a vase and noticed something quite interesting. Those bumps correlate with the layer change as I have a huge seam with no bumps and where there is no seam a small bump. The question now is reducing the seam or left filament.

I've been doing a lot of fiddling with Cura recently since my current employer just got a TAZ 5, and you might want to check if there is a z hop.

But I also noticed with Cura, no matter how many settings I changed, even running in Spiral Vase Mode, I couldn't get rid of the seam. Have you tried running the same print with slic3r or s3d?

FuseBox 1.5 CoreXY - e3dv6 - Graphic Smart Display
Solidoodle 2 - e3dv6 - Hobb Goblin - e3d Titan - lawsy carriages - Direct Drive Y Axis - T8 Z axis - OctoPi

I just updated my slic3r with the prusa edition will play around with some settings. I have z hop on I believe but it's .2.  I know I can't get rid of the seam completely but I believe there is a way to reduce the amount of Filament deposited so it won't be as large.

there should not be any seam when running in vase mode - none at all.. it is supposed to be a continuous smooth motion all the way.
if you are getting seams in vase mode you have other issues.

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

Vase mode is great. Just tackling regular prints.

10 (edited by jagowilson 2017-05-17 03:29:20)

A little late on this but here are some pointers to reduce these kinds of blobs:

- Move Z at the fastest velocity, acceleration and jerk your set up will reliably allow.
- Play with jerk and acceleration on XY. Your machine may be configured to the default which is 1500 or so acceleration and 20 jerk which can be increased.
- Do not force retractions on layer changes. Cura likely has a setting for this somewhere.
- Retract as little as you can, speed is not as important as distance. You can also play with E acceleration and jerk to increase retraction speed, but on a direct drive extruder set up like the Solidoodle retractions are fast anyway.
- Use a wipe function if Cura supports this.
- Fast travel movements, 100mm/s+

You will never eliminate a seam but you can reduce their ugliness.

So I think I found the problem on accident. I couldn't figure out why this issue was across all my printers. Its actually quite simple, the common denominator was all my printers are connected over usb and I get these random pauses almost like communication drops. Switched over to sd card and no more pauses. The only other thing I'm seeing is that I have excessive retraction forv some reason.