Topic: been away for 3 years, anything changed?

I've sold my 3d printer 3 years ago to buy something else for a different hobby.
I see now the prices at least for the i3 printers have dropped, and I'm also in a better financial situation today.
So I might just get a new 3d printer.

My question is, has anything changed in the technology or in the list of reliable companies selling 3d printers/kits?

Is Prusa i3 still considered a good option? I can make my own heat chamber so that's not an issue.
I also noticed there's a new heatbed in the block, "all aluminum". Is it actually better than the PBC beds say because of more even cooling, or is it similar and similarly prone to warping of the aluminum?

Are these aluminum/steel frame i3s sold actually better than the acrylic frame ones? I didn't think the acrylic ones had much flex in them to affect print accuracy.

Finally, if going with i3, which brand is known to sell reliable kits today compared to 3 years ago?
I see sellers not only from China but even US and UK now offer i3s for less than $250 with free shipping which is pretty surprising.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sintron-NEW-TW- … SwGjpXTUvd

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sintron-3D-Prin … SwrklVV4sV

2 (edited by heartless 2017-03-14 13:43:39)

Re: been away for 3 years, anything changed?

OMG - stay AWAY from Sintron - PLEASE!!! just seeing that name makes me cringe...

we ordered one of their kossel kits - What a NIGHTMARE!! Printed parts were terrible - as in unusable. Some of the other parts were very questionable as well. In the end, it never got completely built and we ordered a different kit from elsewhere.

In all honesty - do not buy from ebay at all.

If you are interested in a kit printer, take a look at FolgerTech https://folgertech.com/ - based in New Hampshire USA. Decent kits for the money, can easily be upgraded to make them even better (fully open source), and there is a fairly large user base for support. I have built 3 of their kits - the 2020 Prusa i3, the Kossel, and the FT-5 large format.

If you would like a pre-built, ready to run printer, you may be interested in the Print It Industries 8.10 https://www.printitindustries.com/colle … 3d-printer. Well made machine and worth every penny.

As for heatbeds... the Print It Industries Hale heatbed is the BEST!! (for an 8x8 bed size) https://www.printitindustries.com/produ … -8-heatbed I have it on 3 of my 5 printers... the other 2, well, one is a kossel (round), the other is the large format (12x12)

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

to be fair I have one on a 12" round bed. it does work. it heats so well that you cant heat it up with just heater on glass past 70' with out doing it in stages. ive shattered 2 12" round glass beds just heating them up. as soon as they hit 70' crack!

Sd4 #9080 with a glass bed. E3d chimera duel extruder. Paste extruder , duet wifi.
Lawsy carriages. linear bearings. Y axis direct drive, Kinect scanner
SD4#8188 glass bed, lawsly carriages, E3d v6, octoprint http://www.ustream.tv/channel/hotrod96z28
Filastruder/filawinder, Custom Delta 300mm x 600mm

OH yes lots of changes.  IMHO a lot more choices especially in the under $500 price tag.
The i3 variants are still a good choice but there are lot of cheap chinese kits out there pay your money take your chances.
The wanhao and mono price brands are prebuilt and have a good rep they both offer i3 versions.  The way they save money is no connectors so increased reliability  but harder to troubleshoot and change out parts. I have hearn no serious complaints about these.

As heartless said the folger tech brand are kits and decent machines . I have had one of there 2020 I3 for over a year . And just ordered one of there FT5 kits.

Any sub $500 printer will have shortcomings.  But there are often funds available to fix the problems and upgrade.
The biggest change in the last 3 years is availability of material many more materials are reported usable for making parts . Low temp nylon , PETG ,higher temp higher strength PLA, a load of filled filaments and even  printable wax for casting. So these days easier to find one self  collecting filament.
This is an exciting time for 3d printing and design.
Tin

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

you can also find <$500 solidoodles 3/4 floating around also. good for a base to start with

Sd4 #9080 with a glass bed. E3d chimera duel extruder. Paste extruder , duet wifi.
Lawsy carriages. linear bearings. Y axis direct drive, Kinect scanner
SD4#8188 glass bed, lawsly carriages, E3d v6, octoprint http://www.ustream.tv/channel/hotrod96z28
Filastruder/filawinder, Custom Delta 300mm x 600mm

6 (edited by Tin Falcon 2017-03-15 10:23:42)

The other change is solidoodle went belly up so the sd 4 that was selling for almost a grand 3 years ago is on the used market.  and a few guys here started printit industries to support the machine.

at the $ 150price point you are buying a pile of parts that you may be able to build a kit from . Expect a part or two missing or not working. documentation will be minimal at best and from mainland china  likely no support. Do not even expect that someone in factory assembled and tested one.
Even at the $250 kit price not a lot of margin for QC/QA customer support etc.
I would not buy a kit direct from china imho too risky  if you expect is to work as purchased.  If you buy a $150 kit from the factory expect to spend at least another $100 to make it work.

Like I said somehow monoprice and Wanhao  are selling working machines for $200- $379

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

For a pre built machine, my suggestion is Wanhao ... I've had mine for a year now, and put hundreds of hours on it. It should have been pink and had a little tail as it just keeps going. Slower than some, but decent quality prints and quiet operation.

For a kit, even though I haven't built one, I know a few that have, is Folgertech.

Tom

I was cut out to be rich ... but ... I was sewn up all wrong!
Wanhao Duplicator I3 Plus with glass bed, MK10 All Metal Hot End

8 (edited by truthbomber 2017-03-25 22:18:17)

Thanks all.

I've had two Solidoodles. I wouldn't touch one even with a 10 mile pole. Wouldn't want to use one as a base for DIY printer since in my experience the frame of SD3/4/Workbench was too thin and flexed causing backlash but that's my anecdotal evidence and I could be wrong. But I udnerstand how some would find it fun to go that route.
Thanks for the warnings.

Is there a big difference between the MK2 PCB heatbed and MK3 aluminum heatbed performance to consider one over the other?

What about nozzles? Few years ago I had the impression that many praised the E3D too much without giving others a try while others said the "j-heads" are just fine. Have opinions changed here? Personally I only care about ABS and PLA.

And again can't find much info about acrylic vs steel frame difference. FolgerTech sells both acrylic and aluminum extrusion frame ones. Since cost is even a bit less than for acrylic frame, what's the difference really, assembly aside?

the biggest difference between the acrylic & the 2020 framed prusa offerings at Folgertech is rigidity. Acrylic WILL flex and eventually crack.. the 2020 extrusion is very rigid and will stay that way.

if you think the SD3/4 frames flexed too much, stay far away from acrylic frame printers.

fwiw, I run two SD4s, both modded heavily, and have pretty much no problems with backlash, or much of anything else really. I run the Lawsy bearing carriages, with upgraded rods for the bearings to run on, E3D v6 hotends and Hale heat beds...all running on Rumba controller boards. both of these machines are reliable workhorses for me. I use them nearly every day, for hours at a time and turn out great looking parts with them... a couple of examples...

Kossel corner brackets printed in lime green ABS...

http://soliforum.com/i/?aOS8vVg.jpg

Batman Buddha figure printed in silver PLA...

http://soliforum.com/i/?9jQaYEl.jpg

Geared heart printed in Gold ABS...

http://soliforum.com/i/?9Z2emER.jpg

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater

10 (edited by truthbomber 2017-04-26 10:23:00)

Those are some perfect prints, I can't disagree. But in my book it's not really a "SD4" when you replace the entire gantry. I never made a proper investigation on why the frame was flexing but I think it was the carriage being misaligned (the 3d printed parts). A properly printed carriage with bearings instead of bushings which the stock one uses would make the left and right part more parallel which would reduce stress on what the carriage was attached to (the frame) which would reduce or eliminate flexing of the frame.
Anyway, I don't want to get into the whole SD4/Workbench issues discussion, I have PTSD from that.

Can I try increasing the print speeds with an aluminum extrusion frame design? If yes, how much have you guys tried speeding up the print successfully?

PS. I'm interested why anyone would choose the Acrylic Folgertech i3 over the 2020 aluminum, it even costs more.

LOL, have NO idea why anyone would want the acrylic frame - or why they even still sell it, to be honest.

as for print speed - if you have a well put together frame - square and tight - then yes, you should be able to increase speed some.. how much? that will vary some & be different for every printer. my suggestion is to gradually increase speed and see how things go.. maybe a few seconds/mm at a time, and try several different prints at that speed - different angles, curves, etc. - to see how the speed affects the print quality

And I can understand your thoughts on the SD4s not being SD4s anymore since there is very little of the original machine left, lol. Basically just the frame, Z axis and motors. But, they are my "go to" machines, for better or worse. And I would happily do it again given the opportunity. smile