Topic: Problems in testing 3d printer; need help for a school project

Hi! I've been recently building a 3D printer and I'm having issues testing it.
This is my hardware:
Ramps1.4
Arduino mega2560
4x Pololu Motor shields a4988
1x Nema17 extruder
2x floppy stepper motor
1x DVD stepper motor
Generic hotend with 0,4 nozzle
Then I assembled everything and I started testing... I tried ramps test code and it didn't work (motors did not move, but I'm sure they are ok), then I tried using marlin and pronterface; it showed hotend temperature stuck at 150 degrees, but the hotend was not hot. Moreover motors would not move.I also tried repetier host and it returned me a m999 error without any further explanation.I had no problem installing firmwares on the arduino and the fan of the hotend is working. I also tried changing baud rate but it seemed not to work.I need a quick help since this is a school project I need to have a working printer before next week (13 days max). I'm asking for a fast solution to this problem.Thank you in advance and sorry for my bad English.

Post's attachments

Photo1.jpeg 227.09 kb, 11 downloads since 2017-03-10 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Re: Problems in testing 3d printer; need help for a school project

For starters the DVD and Floppy motors will never have enough torque to run a printer. There is a reason why most printers you buy use NEMA 17 or greater all the way around. As for the hot end reading 150, do you have the correct thermistor type selected in the firmware?

First and foremost though is get those motors changed to real printer motors NEMA 17.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

I'm almost certain you're trying to build the e-waste printer(https://www.instructables.com/id/Curiosity-120-eWaste-Educational-3D-Printer/)

Did you have someone/website provide the firmware, or did you just download marlin?

You'll need to tune the motor steps/mm before they move the correct amount.

Like carl_m1968 said, you most likely have the wrong thermistor type selected in the firmware.

FuseBox 1.5 CoreXY - e3dv6 - Graphic Smart Display
Solidoodle 2 - e3dv6 - Hobb Goblin - e3d Titan - lawsy carriages - Direct Drive Y Axis - T8 Z axis - OctoPi

4 (edited by jagowilson 2017-03-16 16:16:42)

widespreaddeadhead wrote:

I'm almost certain you're trying to build the e-waste printer(https://www.instructables.com/id/Curiosity-120-eWaste-Educational-3D-Printer/)

Did you have someone/website provide the firmware, or did you just download marlin?

You'll need to tune the motor steps/mm before they move the correct amount.

Like carl_m1968 said, you most likely have the wrong thermistor type selected in the firmware.

I would agree, OP is this for sure what you're building? Your pics look very similar.

carl_m1968 wrote:

For starters the DVD and Floppy motors will never have enough torque to run a printer. There is a reason why most printers you buy use NEMA 17 or greater all the way around. As for the hot end reading 150, do you have the correct thermistor type selected in the firmware?

First and foremost though is get those motors changed to real printer motors NEMA 17.

I also find it interesting they are using DVD motors, because they're really only designed to drive a laser which weighs less than what, 100 grams probably total? A flatbed scanner stepper motor (the one that moves the lens along the plane) would be far more appropriate, if the goal is to re-use parts.

I've seen videos of this thing in action, though, so the motors *do* work. I will throw in third on it being a thermistor type selection issue.

5 (edited by katiewebber 2019-05-28 12:27:51)

3dmaurizio wrote:

Hi! I've been recently building a 3D printer and I'm having issues testing it.
This is my hardware:
Ramps1.4
Arduino mega2560
4x Pololu Motor shields a4988
1x Nema17 extruder
2x floppy stepper motor
1x DVD stepper motor
Generic hotel with 0,4 nozzle
Then I assembled everything and I started testing... I tried ramps test code and it didn't work (motors did not move, but I'm sure they are ok), then I tried using marlin and interface; it showed hotend temperature stuck at 150 degrees, but the hotel was not hot. Moreover, the motors would not move. I also tried repetier host and it returned me a m999 error without any further explanation. I had no problem installing the firmware on the Arduino and the fan of the hotend is working. I also tried changing the baud rate but it seemed not to work. I need a quick help since this is a school project I need to have a working printer before next week (13 days max). I'm asking for a fast solution to this problem. Thank you in advance and sorry for my bad English.

I can help you with the school project, I work in the field of education for a long time. For a successful school project, you need to write an essay, you can write it yourself or pay for an essay by cliking here, I think the second option will be better for you, as it will save you a lot of time.

katiewebber wrote:

I can help you with the school project, I have been working in the field of education for a long time.

this is from 2 years ago. I think that perhaps they have things figured out by now

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

katiewebber wrote:

or pay for an essay by cliking here, I think the second option will be better for you, as it will save you a lot of time.

@heartless - It's just SPAM