Topic: Air filter for 3D printer

Has anyone noticed a harshness in your voice or a persistent coughing after being around your open air 3D printer? I have and built a air filter to help remove toxic fumes. I have a feeling down the road there are going to be some respiratory problems. Lawyers will pick up on it and will start sueing 3D printer manufacturers for not equipping printers with filtration systems. Just my opinion.

Re: Air filter for 3D printer

Rotisiv wrote:

Has anyone noticed a harshness in your voice or a persistent coughing after being around your open air 3D printer? I have and built a air filter to help remove toxic fumes. I have a feeling down the road there are going to be some respiratory problems. Lawyers will pick up on it and will start sueing 3D printer manufacturers for not equipping printers with filtration systems. Just my opinion.

Depends on the material you are using to print with. PLA should not present any real issues since it is based on corn sugar. ABS and PETG maybe, but I print all the time with PETG in closed 600 sqft apartment and have noticed not issues so you could be overly sensitive to certain irritants as some people are.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

Is the material you print with better than ABS if so why?

Is the material you print with better than ABS if so why?

PETG

• Ideal Material To Replace ABS with Print Speeds Like PLA
• Fast Cooling, Low-Temp PETG Designed to Extrude at ~230ºC
• Printed Filament Yields a Rigid, High-Tensile Usable Part
• Odorless Printing with Crystal Transparency and No Warping
• Can Be Used For FDA and Other Clinical Uses • Odor-free

https://filamentexpress.com/products/3d … -kg-2-2-lb

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

each material has it's own unique properties - none is necessarily "better" than another, but different. A lot of what I print with is dictated by what the item will be used for.

and I run ABS a lot in a standard sized bedroom turned hobby room - I personally do not have any problems with it, but if you do then you should definitely consider other materials

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

My personal choice is PLA. I am basically under treatment for adult onset asthma. a fairly mild case by comparison as i am on a pediatric dose of medicine . I have mild allergies to various things. . so I chose to print with pla rather than risk styrene exposure.   
I either print in the family dinning room or an adjacent shed shop attached to the house .
IMHO the risks of exposure to ABS  is minimal .

Tin

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

Tin
What size nozzle are you using with your PETG I have a Makerbot with stock .4mm nozzles will it work with that size.
Thanks
Dale

Ultimaker S3.

dubbsd wrote:

Tin
What size nozzle are you using with your PETG I have a Makerbot with stock .4mm nozzles will it work with that size.
Thanks
Dale

PETG just like MOST other materials will work with any size nozzle and yes PETG works with a .4 or .3. It is just a matter of tuning the temp and speed.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

10 (edited by Alexi Lalas 2017-08-16 06:17:09)

Tin Falcon wrote:

My personal choice is PLA. I am basically under treatment for adult onset asthma. a fairly mild case by comparison as i am on a pediatric dose of medicine . I have mild allergies to various things. . so I chose to print with pla rather than risk styrene exposure.   
I either print in the family dinning room or an adjacent shed shop attached to the house .
IMHO the risks of exposure to ABS  is minimal .

Tin

Thanks for sharing! I'll try this way.